Without You There is No Me

New Year's Eve 2010

Genevieve sighed as she looked at the clock. John was supposed to be at her house so they could go over to Jared’s annual New Year’s Eve party together. He was over an hour late though and Genevieve was become more and more angry with him.

John finally walked through the door, an hour and thirty minutes late.

“It’s nice of you to finally show up,” Genevieve sarcastically said.

“Don’t start this shit with me right now. I don’t feel like talking about it,” John grumbled as he began walking past her.

“Well when would you like to talk about it, John? Because every single time I try to talk about it you just blow me off. That’s becoming normal these days though. You always blow me off for something else.”

“I’m here now, aren’t I?”

“Yeah but for how long? I’m sure we’ll go over to Jared’s party and you’ll ditch me to talk to the guys about band stuff.”

“Excuse me for trying to do my job,” John seethed.

“I understand it’s your job but does it always have to come first? Once, just once, I would love to come before The Maine. I feel as if you’re cheating on me,” Genevieve ranted.

“I have never cheated on you, Jenny. I’ve been faithful this entire time.”

“I know. I’m still not number one in your heart though. Your band is and I’m tired of fighting it for your attention and love.”

“I love you so don’t you dare say that I fucking don’t.”

Genevieve gave a sarcastic laugh. “You love me? Then when are we going to get married?”

“I don’t know. Whenever we plan it,” John shrugged.

“That’s the problem though. Whenever I try to sit down with you and plan it you run off to do something for your band. Relationships take work, John, marriage takes work. I think you like the idea of being in a relationship with me but when it comes down to it, you don’t want to work at it.”

“Of course I don’t want to work at it. All we do is fight,” John yelled as he turned around and started towards the door.

“If you walk through that door without staying here and trying to work things out we are done,” Genevieve called out.

John figured Jenny was bluffing so he kept walking. As his hand touched the door knob he heard her yell out, “wait!” John smirked to himself because he knew he had won.

Genevieve walked up to John and pulled her engagement ring off before dropping it in his hand.

John suddenly realized how serious she was. “Jenny, don’t do this. I’ll change. I love you.”

Genevieve shook her head. “I love you too John but I can’t do this anymore. I just can’t.”

John began to once again plead with her but she just shook her head and shut the door.

Genevieve sunk to the floor with tears streaming down her face. Her whole world came crashing down in a matter of moments and now she was in a party dress with nowhere to go. There was no way she was going to still go to Jared’s party without John. Everything would just remind her of him.

Genevieve eventually got off the floor and went into her room to change out of her dress. She came back into her living room in sweats and a carton of ice cream in her hand. The phone kept ringing all night but she refused to answer. She figured it was either John or one of the guys who had heard about the break-up already and she didn’t feel like talking to any of them. She didn’t feel like talking to anyone, she just wanted to wallow in her sorrow with her ice cream.

Genevieve turned on the TV to watch the ball drop. The countdown reached one and the camera showed couples all over Times Square kissing each other making Genevieve even more depressed since she had no one to kiss.

“Looks like this year will be a lonely one for me,” Genevieve muttered to herself.
♠ ♠ ♠
Outfit