Status: Being re-written as Honest Heat - Please check it out!

Truth Fire

Chapter 23: Demetrius is back!

After the amazing trip to Berlin, the lovely peace Marina enriched herself with, crumbled. “Hey Marina! How was your week?”
“Best thing that’s happened since I met you,”
“What was so good about it?”
“You weren’t there?”
He patted my back in a slightly gentle, but teasing way.
“Come on! Don’t be such a sourpuss!”
“No! Y… You know what?! Just go back to your table of fangirls and stop talking to me, that’d make my life better,”
“Mer…Someone’s annoyed! What happened?”
“Nothing! It’s none of your beeswax so go away!”
“Mari! Don’t be li- ”
“Marina? You’re wanted for community service in the library,”
“Uh? Okay! Bye ‘Demetrius’,” I chuckled with a twist.
He frowned like a child. It was cute, but I didn’t find it anything more than that.
*~Library~*
I shelved the books in alphabetical order. One book wasn’t heavy, but a mass of them was. “Thank you Marina! You’re a very kind girl, I don’t understand why teachers are afraid of you!” Praised an elderly woman. She was the school librarian, and a very generous woman. Her white hair seemed almost died, and she didn’t act very old; very health and active. “Thank you Miss Cooper. That’s very nice of you to say, but I do understand. See, I have a gift,”
And I showed her a harmless flame in the centre of my palm to create a calming atmosphere. I didn’t want her to be scared of me too.
“Ah…what a beautiful flame,”
I was surprised to hear that. Nobody had ever said that to me before.
“Really? Thank you!”
“You do have a fabulous gift, come here Marina,”
I followed her, curious. She lead to me to a storage room. Shuffling through a few out-of-place boxes, we gradually came to a bookshelf. It was small, a little bit uncared for and the colour seemed a little bleached. Inside (And behind a cobweb) was a large book written ‘respiratory system’ on it. Huh? She wasn’t going to start telling me about burning fuel or how I breath right? Then I realised when she opened it up, that it contained a small book hidden inside. “I want you to have this book. I know we’re not close and we’ve only really just met, but I think you’re a great person and this book will help you discover things. Keep it with you. Anything you query about, please don’t hesitate to ask,” And she handed me the red-leather bound book. It had been kept in pristine condition. I delicately opened some of the first pages, interested at what was inside.
“Miss Cooper? Do you have any books on Oliver- Oh hello Marina!”
I recognised that voice. Luke. I slammed the book shut in a matter of second and hit the tiny book into my pocket. Hastily, I turned around, trying not to look suspicious. “Oh Luke! How are you?”
“I’m good! I was just a little surprised that you happened to be here,”
“I’m Miss Cooper’s helper,”
Miss Cooper nodded. “And she’ll help you with your request okay?”
We both nodded. I lead him out, asking him what he was looking for. A few of them were in the storage room, so I carried them out.
“So, what else?”
“Erm…Exodus,”
“Ah, that’s on….this shelf, give me a minute,” And I jumped on the ladder and climbing upwards. “Exodus, how many?”
“Uhm…All but one if possible?”
“Okay, that’s 12 books,” I hoisted them all up, forgetting the sheer weight of the books. The ladder beneath me cracked and gave way. “Uh!!!” I yelled, falling backwards, the bookshelf wobbling on it’s feet. A few books toppled over and I fell with a thud. It didn’t hurt as much as I thought it would have. “Uhn…! Luke? Luke! Are you okay?!” I panicked, shifting my glance behind me and finding Luke, a little rough and his eyes closed. He seemed a little bloodied up. I started to feel embarrassed when I realised how close we were, then decided to just forget that right now. “Yeah, I’m fine. I’m more worried about you though, that was dangerous you know?”
I’m fine Luke, I’m sorry! We need to get you checked!” But even before I could finish that sentence, Miss Cooper came out with a first aid kit.
“Dear Marina, please try to be careful,”
“I’m sorry Miss Cooper,”
“It’s okay Marina, but you’ve gotten Luke dear all dirty, I suggest you go help him back to his room. I’ll take care of the rest, Maggie and Sam are here to help,”
“Okay thanks Miss Cooper!” I hoisted him up and helped him over to his room. “I’m sorry Luke, are you okay??”
“Yeah… I did say,”
I ran over to the fridge for some cold ice. “Any bumps that need cooling?”He nodded and I hopped over, helping him relax and checking if he was okay.
“Thank you Marina, go tell the English department that I can’t work please? Thank you! And if it wouldn’t be a bother, but could you come get me after school’s finished? I’ll rest till then,”
I nodded, and hurried off to finished his errands and then head straight back to the library. I patted my pockets accidently when I realised…My book had gone!
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah, quite a long chapter. I decided I'm going to update once a night because then I will always have something to update and things will be more okay. I think it's reasonable. Urh, sorry about mistakes, I know.

Thank you.