Just Like Heaven

Overwhelmed

Paula had come over to visit everyday after Mikey had gone. Noah loves having Paula over, because she spoiled him just as much as Mikey and Gerard do.

On a Saturday, we decided to take him to the park. He eagerly held her hand and pulled her, while I held Piggy's leash.

"So what's been up with you and Mikey?" Paula asked.

"Same old, you know." I shrugged.

"You guys still working on a baby?" She nudged me with a funny look.

"We are," I stalled a moment, "But, lately, he's been really overwhelmed and stressed out."

"How come?" Paula trudged forward as Noah pulled her hand into the playground.

"I don't know. He hates talking about his problems with me, I wish he would just unload it on me so I can help him."

Paula sat on the bench and pulled Noah on her lap, "Hold on, I need to tie your shoe!" She told him as he wiggled to get to the other kids, "Tell him how you feel. You're never the one to shy away about stuff like this."

I nodded, "I know, but this is Mikey," I turned to Noah as he was ready to jet off, "If you get hurt, come back over here, okay? Your hand is still sensitive."

Noah nodded and began to run to the sandbox. I kept and eye on him as I saw him climb up the stairs to the slide. I sat down, letting Piggy lie on the grass beside us.

"I don't think he's going to tell me anything willingly." I finished.

"Well, force it out if him. What's the worse he could do?" Paula kept her eyes on the playground.

I figured she was right. Whatever was bothering him, I could help him. And, if he didn't want my help, he could just say so.

I put the whole thing out of my mind for the moment. I didn't want to drag some mess into my head that my not be a mess. I just wanted to put some troubles to the side for the moment.

Noah rushed into house, after we parted with Paula, and went to play, with Piggy waddling to her doggy bed; "Wash your hands, I'm making you lunch, Noah!" I called after him.

He skidded and walked backwards to the bathroom he passed. I smiled at him and went to the kitchen. I washed my own hands and began to make Noah mac and cheese, when my phone rang.

I placed it between my ear and shoulder as I grabbed a pan, "Hello?"

"Hey, what're you doing?" It was Brendan.

"I'm making lunch. What're you doing, weirdo?"

"We're coming to visit next week. I thought I'd tell you before I actually called you to pick us up."

"Oh, Max is outta school, right?"

"Yeah, and we got Noah some get well gifts."

"That's nice, thanks." Noah returned to the kitchen showing me his hands, "Oh, shoot." His bandage was soaked, "Hold on, B. Noah, I gotta change your bandage."

I put the pan on the counter and took his right hand, "So, when are you guys coming in?"

"Friday. When is Mikey coming back?" 

I sat Noah on my bed as I grabbed his bandages, "Another few weeks; how long are you guys staying?"

"A week or somethin'. Max is gonna go stay with his mom for the summer."

I frowned slightly, taking Noah's bandage off, "That sucks. I wish the guys could've been here."

"It's cool, he just wants to see LA before he's dragged out to Michigan."

"Can't wait for you guys to get here." I told him, "Noah will be ecstatic to see his big cousin." Noah raised a brow at me as I cleaned up his hand. 

I talked to Brendan for a few minutes, all the while changing Noah's bandage, then I hung up. I carried Noah to the kitchen with me and sat him on the counter; I turned on the small iPod dock and played some music.

"What do you wanna hear?" I asked him.

Noah took the iPod and pressed play. I went to cooking, letting him play music. He liked Gerard's voice, he loved their first album, but he preferred, like myself, the Cure. When he got to Hot Hot Hot !!, he let it play and poked me when I didn't sing along. He shuffled through a couple of Mikey's favorite songs, then stopped at one of his and Mikey's favorites; Friday, I'm In Love.

He caught Mikey singing it to me one day, and he forced that song on the both of us. I love the song, but Noah loves that song to death. I was surprised when he didn't poke me to sing it.

"Cartoons?" I asked him once I got his mac and cheese done.

He nodded, turning the music off; I set him down and watched him race off to the living room. I grabbed a juice box, the bowls and followed after my boy.

Noah sat down, watching Looney Toons, while munching. I sat beside him, checking my phone. Mikey had been calling, but he wouldn't pick up. 

"Mike? Do you have bad service?"

"Yeah, sorry," He was clear, "What's up? How are you guys? How's Noah?" He asked slowly.

"Just fine, wanna say hi?"

He chuckled, "Yeah."

I pressed the phone to Noah's ear, he looked at me, "Say Hi, Mike."

Noah smiled when he heard Mikey's voice. He made a sign to tell him hi; "He says hey," I laughed softly.

"I miss him. Is his hand still bad?"

"Not like before." I chewed at my lip a moment, "Can you talk, like... uh, privately?"

"Yeah, I'm the only one on the bus, what's wrong?"

I stood and sat on the couch, instead of floor, "Mikey, how are you? Are you alright?"

He stalled a moment, "I'm good."

I didn't believe him.

"You can tell me anything, you know that, right?"

He was silent. I wondered if I had lost connection. 

"I hate to do this over the phone," He mumbled.

"Do what?" I asked softly.

"Just..." He stalled again, "Can I call you tonight? I have to go on in a couple minutes."

"I'm sorry..." I mumbled, "I didn't mean to... I'm just worried."

"I know, I know," He sighed, "Tonight, we'll talk, alright? I promise."

"Okay. I love you."

"I love you, too, M."
♠ ♠ ♠
My brain hates me :{( < that's a frowny icon with a cool mustache.