Status: Completed :)

Family Values

Chapter Three

February 7th, 2012
Tuesday
Greg and Donna’s House, Boston, MA
3:30 P.M.

Mrs. Campbell came forward and hugged her.

“It’s so good to see you honey,” she said. Donna hugged her back and said

“It’s good to see you too.” When they pulled apart Donna saw Greg’s father still standing by the doorway watching her with a dark glare. At least his mom liked her. They walked up into the living room, and Greg’s mother asked

“When are your parents coming?”

“They’ll be here at 4:30,” Greg helped his parents get settled with their luggage and Greg’s dad sat down on the couch.

“It was a long flight, I could use a beer.” Greg went and got one from the fridge.
Greg knew how awkward it was for Donna. She stood beside the couch with her hands clasped behind her back like she was a servent waiting to be told what to do.

“So how’s hockey been? Asked his father. Greg knew he would say it. Always coming to her son’s rescue Mrs. Campbell said

“Oh enough hockey Colin, I want to hear more about Donna!” Greg saw Donna shift uncomfortabley as full attention was turned to her. She smiled and said

“About me?” Mrs. Campbell smiled and said

“Yes, come sit with me sweetheart.” She moved over on the couch so Donna could sit next to her. Donna sat down on the couch next to his mother. His mother did not hold back on asking Donna personal questions. Greg saw Donna loosening up a bit as she got more comfortable.

When the phone rang Greg went to answer it. Donna liked Greg’s mom. The more she answered her questions the more she seemed to like her. Greg came back in a minute later and said

“Donna you’re parents are at the airport waiting.” She said goodbye to Mrs. Campbell and went outside. When she got into the car she lout out a big exhale. She was all alone. She relaxed for a minute before turning on the car. It wasn’t a long drive to the Logan Airport and when she pulled up to the enteranceshe saw her parents. Her father was hard for anyone to miss. He was 6’5”, extremely fair skinned, and had bright blonde hair. Her mother was also tall but she was dark skinned and had jet black hair. Donna got the majority of her looks from her mother, despite the fact she was much shorter and she had fair skin like her father. She got out and ran towards her parents. They pulled her into a hug and Donna felt like a little kid again, being comforted by her parents.

“I missed you so much,” said Donna.

“We missed you to sweetheart,” said her mother. Donna had last seen her parents around four months ago when they came to see her after she’d been in the hospital. They’d only briefly met Greg. It had been an emotional visit. She had come out with all the abuse Henry had put her through for years.

“I can’t wait for you to meet Greg and his parents,” she said. Donna saw her father stiffen and he said

“He better be treating you right.”

“He is, he’s really nice,” she said reassuringly. It was a ten minute drive back to the house.

“How is everyone?” asked Donna. When she said “everyone” she meant all of her siblings.

“Everyone’s good,” said her mother. “You’re going to be an aunt soon; Erik and Carrie are
having a baby.” Donna’s eldest sibling Erik had just been married last year.

“That’s so awesome,” said Donna smiling. “I’ll have to call and congratulate them.”
When they drove up to the house Donna wanted to stay seated in the car but she got out before her parents. When they walked in the house Greg and his parents were still seated on the couch. She boldly said

“Greg, Mr. and Mrs. Campbell, these are my parents, Lise and Gera Korvka.” Her parents smiled as Greg’s mom and dad got up off the couch.

“It’s nice to meet you,” said Greg’s mom. She came up and shoke their hands. After she introduced herself Greg’s father coldly shoke their hands. Donna saw the hostile glance that passed between her father and Greg’s.

“It’s so nice to meet you Greg,” said her mother. “My daughter has told me so much about you.” Greg smiled and said

“It’s nice to meet you too.” When Greg introduced himself to her father she almost laughed at the intimidated look he had on his face. She knew her father was going to be suspicious of Greg for awhile because of what happened with Henry. To avoid an awkward silence Donna said

“Let’s eat, I made a whole dinner.” Donna had set up their average kitchen table as fancy as possible. She got a nice table cloth, and used the nicer dishes that they had. When they sat down to eat her dad fired questions at Greg and his parents.

“Where are you guys from?”

“London, Canada,” said Greg’s mother. “What about you?” She must have noticed her father’s accent.

“Russia,” he said. “I came here when I was twenty to find work.”

“Very interesting,” said Greg’s mother. “Was it easy?”

“No,” said her father. “I came here to Boston. I couldn’t find anything over minimum wage, but we pulled through and now I have a better job in Florida.”

“Russia?” said Greg’s father. “You ever play hockey?”

“No,” said her dad. “I lived in a poor family.” Before his father could say something Greg jumped in and said

“Donna says you guys lived in Charlestown?”

“Yes,” said her father. “In an apartment, not in very good conditions, we were at the bottom of Bunker Hill, in the slums.” Donna smiled at her father’s comfort with telling the story. A lot of people she knew who had a bad past of poverty didn’t want to talk about it. But her father didn’t care. He’d always been a storyteller. “We had Donna and out other five kids and we were able to make it.” Greg saw his father looking down at his plate, not wanting to hear about how poor his son’s girlfriend had grown up in poverty.

“Do you have any siblings Greg?” asked her mother.

“No, I’m an only child.”

“Have you been playing hockey since you were little?” she asked.

“Yes,” said Greg. “Since I could walk.” Eager to talk about hockey again Greg’s father jumped in and said

“I was a hockey player myself and I knew when we found out we were having a boy I needed to make him a player like I was. After that there was no time for more kids,” he said “All of our focus was on Greg’s training.”

“Did you get that from hockey?” asked her mother, looking at his bruised eye.

“Oh ya,” said Greg, looking embarrassed “It can get violent sometimes.” Greg felt Donna’s father’s burning gaze watching him. Surprised her mother said

“You fight?” He didn’t want to tell the truth but he said

“Yes,”

“They allow that?” she asked.

“I get a penalty if I do, but I wont’ be thrown out of the game.” Making matters worse Greg’s
father said

“Fighting in hockey can be a good thing because it gives the players a way to take out their anger.” Greg wanted to sink into his chair in embarrassment.

“You believe violence is the answer?” asked her father.

“It some things yes,” said his father. After having his daughter abused by her ex-boyfriend Greg knew her father didn’t want to hear that her new boyfriend used fighting as an emotional release.

“So mom,” said Donna, ending the hockey subject, “When’s Carrie due?” Donna’s mother started on about how Donna’s brother was doing, but the high tension between Greg and Donna’s fathers remained.
_________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.

For everyone that has read both my Nathan Horton stories I have an addition I want to make in it but I'm not sure what you guys think about it. I found out that it's not a rumor that Nathan Horton is going to have another son who is due in March. I like to keep things as close to reality as possible in my stories so in order for me to add this in I'm not going to delete the story and start over I'd just have to rewrite a few parts in the second story because the first takes place before any of this. What do you guys think?