Until I Met You

Was I Dreaming?

~aubree~

I let out a small little sigh of content after shutting the door to my room. I hoped Raina wasn’t angry that I’d made plans with Matt. Last night after dinner when he kissed me on the cheek my mind had exploded into fireworks and rainbows and everything was perfect. But when I had been getting ready for bed Matt had called me. Everyone had my number in case of an emergency, like, if they were going to get a haircut and wanted to know if we could still style it, emergency.
Anyway, he called and asked if I was doing anything tomorrow, I somehow managed to choke out that I wasn’t, and he asked if I wanted to spend the day with him before I had to leave for Smack Down. I usually only do makeup for Raw, but Susan had insisted I come along because she was sick of Molly messing everything up. Needless to say, Molly had added me to her hit list, but I was ecstatic. I hadn’t been able to sleep from pure excitement.
I bit my lip as I looked into my suitcase. I came across the nightgown again and felt my face get warm. No. No. No. I finally dug out my black jeans and a nice wine colored blouse. I side braided my hair and took a deep breath. I wouldn’t mess this up, not today. But I couldn’t keep my heart from skipping a beat when I heard a knock on my door. I swallowed nervously as I tried to keep myself from running and throwing it open. When I slipped the door open once again, it was Matt. He looked even better without the weird hair thing from his sweatband.
“You look great.” He gushed. I just looked at the ground and muttered a quiet thank you. But I felt my heart jump when Matt gently held his hand under my chin, gently pushing my head up so I looked at him. “Why are you so quiet? You make me do all the talking, all the time. I feel like such a loudmouth”
“I-I just don’t have much to say.” I stuttered. Matt just grinned.
“God you’re so cute when you stutter.”
“Really?”
“You know it.” He teased. I chuckled as he stood back so I could walk out the door. “So Aubree, You know everything about me, but I don’t know anything about you. Where are you from?”
“Tacoma.” I answered. “I moved to New York after high school to get into theatre makeup, Susan saw my work and hired me.”
“I would too, you’re the best.”
“T-thank you.” Matt grinned.
“There’s that adorable stutter again. So is it me that makes you nervous or just obscenely beautiful people in general?” I chuckled and Matt pretended to be offended.
“I was serious.” I just laughed even harder and Matt finally broke and chuckled with me. As we got to the front door of the hotel I heard a woman’s voice behind us.
“Matt! Mattie, hold on!” I turned around to see Eve, looking inhumanly beautiful, as usual, as she jogged up to Matt and I.
“Hey Eve, what’s up?” Matt said. I saw her eyes immediately dart to our hands, which weren’t together, and she smiled.
“So I was thinking we could maybe run lines for our storyline relationship thing for next Monday?”
My heart dropped.
Matt pressed his lips together. “Eve, I’d love to, but you see…” He put his arm around me and pulled me into an awkward hug, smashing me into his chest. “I’ve promised my day to Aubree before she leaves for Smack Down tonight.” Eve’s eyes turned into daggers, but Matt didn’t notice.
“Oh, are you two together?” She lifted her eyebrows as she looked at Matt, waiting for an answer.
“Well…” Matt looked at me.
“I-It’s… It’s a little early to say.” I finished.
“Oh, so you’re technically still single.” Eve said. She hadn’t taken her eyes off Matt since she walked up to us and it was starting to make me look a little nervous.
“Well, I couldn’t ruin Glenn’s dreams by dating you, now could I?” I saw Eve’s face drop at the mention of the monstrous looking Glenn (AKA Kane). “So, if you’ll excuse us, I’ll see you next week Eve.” As we walked out I felt sick to my stomach. I could never compare to Eve, there wasn’t even a point in trying. When we were far enough from the hotel waiting for a taxi I looked up at Matt.
“Why didn’t you tell me?”
“Why didn’t I tell you what?”
“That you and Eve are going to have a storyline relationship…” Matt let out a long sigh and ran his hands through his hair. “I’m sorry…”
“Aubree, don’t be sorry. I didn’t tell you because nothing’s going to happen.”
“But Eve is so beautiful-”
“So are you.” I felt my face turn bright red.
“W-w-what?”
“I hate to break it to you Aubree, but you are just as, if not more stunning at any of the Divas that are, ever have, or ever will be on the WWE, including Eve.”
“Matt I…” I felt like an idiot. “I don’t know what to say.”
“You don’t have to say anything, because it’s true.” He said. He kept looking at me, so I looked at the ground. “Do you know why I started coming to you when you were first hired?” I looked back up at him.
“Because you weren’t famous yet?”
“Nope. Because I specifically asked for you.”
“Me?!” I blushed even more. “Why?” Matt shrugged.
“I thought you were cute.” He looked back over at me. “I still do. So don’t worry about this stupid Eve thing and let’s have a good day.” He stuck out his hand. “Deal?” I smiled slightly and shook his hand.
“Deal.”
The whole day was just perfect. Matt and I went to a lake and walked around; people asked him for autographs and took pictures with him. I didn’t mind in the slightest. Matt loved his fans like family, they were the reason he was famous so he always tried to make time for them. Then we got lunch at this little hole in the wall café, and since it was such a beautiful day we decided to walk back to the hotel. We just talked about how Matt had gotten into the WWE and his whole life story. As we got to the door of the hotel he flipped it on me.
“So, little miss mystery how was child life in Tacoma?” I shrugged when we got into the elevator.
“Pretty quiet. My parents got divorced when I was a baby, so I don’t remember my dad.” Suddenly the elevator lurched and came to a complete halt.
“Damn thing must be stuck.” Matt muttered. I bit my lip; I didn’t want to be late on my first day on Smack Down.
“Can we fix it?” I asked.
“Nope.” Matt said as he slid to the floor. “I’m sure it’ll be fine in a few minutes.” He patted the ground next to him and I sat down. “So, your parents got divorced. How’s your mom? Is she happy about how far you’ve gotten?” Matt could immediately tell he’d said something wrong. “Aubree?” He put his arm around me and looked at me. I didn’t want to cry but I could hold back a few tears from falling down my cheeks. I pulled my legs into my chest.
“She, um… she died. When I was ten. We were hit by a drunk driver and she didn’t make it.”
“Aubree, Oh my God, I’m so sorry…” I shook my head.
“You didn’t know.” I bit my lower lip as the tears finally stopped. “She, um, she swerved the car so I wouldn’t get hit. I still almost didn’t make it though. I was in a coma for three days.” I sighed. “Then my aunt took me in. She didn’t have to, but she did. I owe her for getting me through the rest of high school.” I could tell Matt didn’t know what to say. “Matt, p-please stop looking at me like that.”
“Aubree…” He wouldn’t stop staring at me and I didn’t know what to do.
“So, I hear your dad’s a John Morrison fan.” I tried. he sat up and sighed, laughing sadly.
“Yes, yes he is.” I was pretty sure Matt was glad I’d changed the subject, but then he gave me that look again. “I do have to thank your mom though.” I blushed.
“W-Why’s that?”
“Because if she hadn’t been so brave I wouldn’t have you.” I thought it was a cheesy pickup line at first, but something deep inside of me knew that he meant it.
And that terrified me.
“Matt I-” He kept giving me that look with his beautiful brown eyes. I felt my heart speed up as we started to lean towards each other. I had to be dreaming, this was much to perfect to be real. But just as we were close enough that I could feel a small current between our lips the elevator lurched again and sent me sprawling into Matt. I felt my face turn crimson as I started to get up, but he grabbed my waist and leaned his head up and kissed me. My mind exploded into a fourth of July fireworks display when our lips met. If this was a dream I never wanted to wake up. Finally I pulled my lips away from his and shot up onto my knees. I touched my lips gently and Matt just smiled. I finally snapped back to reality, realizing the door could open at any moment as he hopped back to his feet. He then helped me off my knees and we just stood there, hand in hand, staring at each other when the door opened. We both looked over as we heard Phil’s unmistakable laugh. I immediately dropped my hands from Matt’s as Phil just kept grinning.
“I can take the next one if you kids are busy.” He teased as he stepped inside.
“I don’t k-k-know wh-what you’re t-talking about.” I stammered. Phil just laughed and smacked Matt on the back.
“Good work.” I felt my face turn the same color as my blouse as Matt and Phil chit chatted and Matt slowly put his hand in mine. “So, Aubree, I hear that you’re going to do hair and makeup for Smack Down now too. You excited?”
“More nervous than excited. Teddy Long fired Molly, that’s the only reason I get to go at all. Needless to say, Molly is livid.”
“Oh I bet. Especially in addition to the fact that I hate her and made you my new makeup person.” Phil added.
“Yep…” I muttered. The elevator finally stopped at Matt and I’s floor. “Bye Phil.” I said.
“See you Mouse, bye Matt.” For some reason, it didn’t bug me at all when Phil called me Mouse, he meant it in a cute little-sister way whereas everyone else was making fun of me when they said it. As we finally got to my room I felt more than a little sad.
“Well, here we are…” I said.
“I’m going to miss you, even if it’s just for one night.” Matt said. He wrapped his arms around me in a loving hug. I was a little taken aback, but I hugged him. This was too good to be true, but it was true, and none of it could have ever happened without Raina. As he pulled back, but still kept me in his arms, he gave me that look again. I bit my lip, I’m not a huge PDA fan, but maybe I could make an exception, just this once. I stood up on my tip toes and softly pecked Matt on the lips. He looked shocked, but then gave me his trademark grin. “Well well miss shy little techie.” He teased. I giggled as Matt let go of me. He turned to leave and I opened the door to my room when I stopped and looked back. He was looking back at me and ran over, scooping me into his arms in a giant hug and carrying me into my room. He set me down and pressed his lips to mine so intensely that it caught me off guard, but then I kissed him back. I pulled back and smiled at him, my feet dangling off the floor like something out of a movie.
“I need to change.” I said finally.
“Alright.” Matt said letting me go and leaning against a wall. “Go.” He teased. I shoved him out of my room, laughing.
“I’ll see you later.” I said.
“But I want to watch.” He jokingly whined.
“Eventually, maybe. But I need to go to work now Matt.”
“Wait.” I opened the door back up and Matt stood there, a huge grin on his face.
“Yes, Mr. Cardona?”
“Can I have another one for the road?” I giggled and kissed Matt on the tip of the nose.
Goodbye Matt.”
“Bye Aubree. Good luck tonight, knock ‘em dead.”
“Thanks Matt.
“And one more thing.” He said.
“Yes?” Matt gently leaned back in the doorway and pressed his lips to mine.
“I’m going to leave now.” He said with that goofy grin on his face.
“Bye.”
“Bye. I’ll call you after the show.” I couldn’t help but chuckle.
“Okay Matt.”
“I’m really going to leave this time.”
“Goodbye Matthew Cardona.” As he walked off I shut the door and pressed my back against it. This was so perfect. So utterly perfect that I couldn’t believe that I was really awake. I touched my lips and smiled.
Time to impress Teddy.
♠ ♠ ♠
Y.E.S.
So fun to write this.
Next chapter is coming from SEG
so prepare for awesomeness.
XOXO
TMG

Aubree's outfit