Stole My Heart

VII

"Eleanor, You'll never guess who I ran into last night at McCool's?" Rachael chirped as she walked into my room.

"Who?"

"Connor." My heart sank as soon as she finished with the last syllable. It had been almost a year since the last time he and I saw each other.

"That's nice." That was all I could get out. I really didn't want to hear anymore. It's not like we ended things horrible. It was the total opposite. We both didn't want to be together anymore. I guess that we both fell out of love with eachother at the same time. He fell out of love with me first.

"He asked me about you. And before you say anything, I told him you found yourself a nice job, were staying with me, and working out every day. So..." She said pointing at the bag of pirate booty I was current munching on.

"What did he say to that? Did he laugh?" I don't know why my heart was racing faster than a coke heads.

"He asked for your number. I may have given it to him. He said he was going to call you within the next two weeks. What a guy, he probably knows that you're going to blow up, freak out about this, and let you cool off." She shook her head, sighed, and walked out of my room.

I laid my head back down and closed my eyes. I was letting Barcelona's "Please Don't Go" bring me back to that one night.

"Your eyes are closed, right?" Connor asked me. I could tell he was nervous about something. The little squeaks in his voice, his hands trembling in the California heat. I didn't know then but I was in for a huge surprise.

"Alright, open them." I did as I was told and scanned the location. He had taken me to Will Rogers State Beach. The location of our first date and sloppy kiss.

"This is breath-taking, Con! Why are we here?" I took my shoes off and turned back in his direction. He had his eyes closed and hands in his pocket.

"Are you okay?" He opened his eyes and was mumbling something inaudible. "You're starting to scare me, babe."

"Eleanor Rose Hewitt, You are the love of my life. When we first met at Abel's party sophomore year, I knew that I would want to spend the rest of my life with you. We've had our ups and our fair share of downs but we've stuck together. I love having you in my arms every day and night, I love waking up to your warmth, I love being around you. I love everything about you." This couldn't be real..

"Elley, will you do me the honor in being my bride?" He fumbled the ring into the sand. I let out a loud snort and couldn't control the giggles that followed it.

"Fuck. Can I have a do over?" He asked bashfully.

"Yes." I said.

"Elley, will you--"

"No. Connor Jonathan Blake, Yes." It took him a minute to realize what I was saying yes to.

"Oh..OH! You're accepting my proposal!"

"Well..after that, I'm not sure anymore." I knelt down and put my arms around his shoulders. "All I know is that I, Eleanor Rose Hewitt, would love to spend the rest of my life with you too."


"Ele, could you watch Jake for an hour? I have to run and get something from Jeff." Rachael woke me from my trance. I nodded and got up. I ruffled with Jake's hair while he ate his snack and sank into the couch.

"Where's Josh today? Can he come over and teach me how to play football?" Jake asked.

Oh, right. Josh.

"I don't think he can, bud. His band is doing some promotional stuff and are probably pretty busy." I lied. He frowned and turned his attention back to Phineas and Ferb.

I felt like this would be the first of a lot of white lies.