Status: This is a work in progress we shall try to post around once a week, if not we apologize in advance.

Mute Friendship

Chapter Seven

I mentally groan to myself when I enter my history classroom to find all the desks paired up. Fingers crossed that a jerk doesn't sit next to me but, maybe a really shy quiet girl that wont talk to me all year? Yeah right, waaaaaaay long shot... I just sigh and, sit in a desk in the far back of the room before shrugging my backpack off, and onto the floor. I simply glance around the room listening to my music that's in my ears.
The classroom starts to fill up as it gets closer to the bell, and that's when I start to get nervous as to who is going to sit next to me. Football jock, no. Prep fixing her make up in a mirror as she walks by, no. Nerd picking his nose, no. Lots of other kids, no. Hhmmm.... Maybe I'll get to be alone? Looks like all of the seats are filled, and the bell is about to ring, YES! No par-aw shit! I hang my head as someone runs in the doorway as the bell is ringing, and of course they go right for the desk next to mine. God dammit!
The teacher started talking, and taking role as soon as the girl sat down so, thankfully there was no time for her to talk. However after the whole 'Oh no another Sullivan?' thing was over, I did find a folded piece of paper on my desk. I eyed it confused for a second before shrugging, and then unfolding the paper.
'Hi, I'm Valary, call me Val. I'm really sorry if you don't want me sitting next to you, but there were no other seats, and I don't know anyone in this class...' Was written across the paper, and I blinked a few times almost in a daze before grabbing my pencil and writing back.
'Hey, I'm Eva. It's okay that your sitting with me, the thing is I don't talk like at all, and I'm kinda, well really very shy I guess you could say. Plus I'd rather you sit here than the football jerk in the second row, or the blond whore I mean prep in the second thinking all eyes are on her, or even my favorite the nerdy guy sitting in the front row picking his nose. Oh, and I don't know anyone else in this class either, I barley know anyone.' I write on the note before passing it back to her, and I hear her giggle and try to not actually laugh as she reads what I wrote, and she even looks to see each of the people to see if I was just making it up, or telling the truth.
'Your so funny! I didn't even notice the nerdy kid! But what do you mean you barley know anyone? Just in this class?' She asks me, and I sigh to myself, I guess it wouldn't be to bad to at least talk to someone for once would it?
'No I mean like I don't have any friends in general... My best friend moved to China(I know that probably sounds like a lie, but it isn't), and all of my other friends stopped talking to me last year'
'How come? You seem like a cool person.'
'It's actually a long story...That I'd rather not talk/write about if you don't mind...'
'Oh okay I'm sorry!'
'Nah it's alright.'
'Well... Do you want to be my friend?' My eyes go wide at that one, and I look at her for a second before looking back to the paper, and reading it again. Someone actually wants to be my friend? Maybe it's because she doesn't actually know me, or that she doesn't know about the incident, or Jimmy...
'Wait really?'
'Yeah.'
'But, you don't even know me... I could be some creep for all you know.'
'You never know anyone before you become friends, it's when you get to know someone that you become friends. Plus you seem like less of a creep than that girl trying to pierce her nose in the next seat over (:' I let a small smile out from that, and then looked over to see if she was making things up or not. Nope she has the needle out, and everything.
'Wow, well then okay... I'll be your friend...'
'Yay!'
'Haha, it kinda feels like we're in elementary school passing a note to be friends doesn't it?'
'I was just thinking the same thing! XD Well, class is about to be over.. So why don't you text me?' She wrote as the bell was ringing, and then wrote her cell number right under it before getting her things and leaving for second period. Woah, did that just really happen? Maybe my bagel was spiked with some drugs this morning, or this is all a dream? She seems like a normal person, why the hell would she want to be my friend?
I shrug, and fold the paper back up before putting it into my jeans pocket, collecting my things, and then leave the classroom. I read over my class schedule as I walk down the hallway, and see my math class is up next...Wonderfull...I hate math.
Thankfully my math class was set up in single desk rows, and no one tried to talk to me. The class was mostly quiet just the teacher taking role, the 'Not another Sullivan', a little talking from the teacher, and then she let us talk. I of course just put in both my headphones, and started to doodle a picture in my notebook. Before I knew it the bell was ringing, and I was onto third period. English, well I do like English so, it shouldn't be that bad.
English has always been one of my best subjects, mainly because I love to write. I'll write anything really, poems, short stories, essays, even novels. That's how I usually pass my English classes, although I am pretty good at spelling, plus I actually read the books we get to read in class since I have no life, and all that...
After walking around for a little bit I found my class, I was a little late though because I decided to run to the bathroom real quick so, a lot of the seats were already taken. I started mentally kicking myself though when I saw the entire room was set up in half square rows all connected. When I went to go and pick my seat usually I would have taken the far back corner, but someone beat me to the seat so, I ended up having to sit right next to them... I just hope they aren't going to piss me off, creep me out, or do something along those lines.
“Eva? Is that you?” I hear as someone walks up, and sits in the seat that I couldn't get. I look up to see who's face it is, and I come to see none other than Val from history. I smile a small smile, and nod before looking to my notebook, and doodling. “Oh, right you don't talk much do you?” She asked, and I just shook my head no. “Well, either way thanks for sitting there, my twin sister is in this class too, and I don't want to have to sit directly next to her cause then the teacher will always get us mixed up.” She says, and I nod understanding her before turning to my notebook, and continuing my doodle.
“Hey Val! I didn't know you had this class too, and look its the girl that wouldn't talk to me in my homeroom too!” The kid that was sitting next to me in homeroom yells out taking the seat in the row in front of us so, he can turn around, and be able to talk to us.
“Hey Zacky, I didn't know you had this class either, do any of the other guys have it?”
“Uh... I don't know.” Zacky says with a shrug.
“Well, we'll find out soon enough, oh and this is Eva. She probably didn't ignore you she just doesn't talk much.”
“Oooooh, well hi Eva, nice to know you weren't just not talking to me because you hated me.” He says turning his attention to me laughing slightly, and that's when I was able to look into his eyes. Such a brilliant green, so mesmerizing...I blink a few times getting myself out of my daze before nodding, and smiling smally to him. What the hell was that just now?
“Hey Zacky, hey Val what's up guys?” A girl, and guessing by her appearance of blond hair, same color brown eyes, and the same face that this must be Michelle, Val's twin sister.
“Hey Michelle, were just talking to our new friend here Eva.” Zacky says introducing me to her, and she smiles.
“Oh well hello, nice to meet you.” She tells me, and I smile a little and nod.
“Oh, she doesn't really talk much, kinda shy.” Val tells Michelle as she sits next to me.
“That's okay, I'm kinda shy too.” She tells me with a smile. “I forgot to ask, do you mind if I sit here?” She asks me, and I shake my head no before she starts to smile again. All three of them are smiling. Are they really that happy?
“I can already tell this class is gonna be awesome!” Another kid with black hair and brown eyes shouts as he comes over, and sits next to Zacky before turning around to talk to all of us. I notice though when Michelle saw him a light blush formed on her cheeks, and she became really interested with a drawing on her desk.
“Hey Brian-” Val stops short as another kid walks in, and she blushes slightly as well.
“Fuck yeah! This class is gonna be great!” A kid with brown hair, and brown-green eyes says as he sits at the desk that's joined to Val's, but facing a different way.
“Who are you?” The Brian guy asks me all of a sudden.
“Brian! Rude much? But this is my friend Eva, she doesn't really talk much so, don't pick on her.” Val answers for me, wait. Did she say friend? Do I really have a friend?
“Jimmy? Jimmy! It is you get your ass over here!” The brown haired boy yells out to a kid standing in the doorway. I go to look up to see what they look like, and that's when time seemed to slow down. None other than my very brother Jimmy was standing in the doorway walking over to sit on the other side of the boy. I felt all the color drain out of my face and out of habit I quickly looked down, and stared at my desk. Thankfully as soon as Jimmy sat down the teacher started to take role so, they weren't able to try, and introduce us.
I started to zone in, and out of class having mixed thoughts about what to do when the teacher started to take role so, I only herd a few of the names.
“Baker? Zachary Baker?” He asked reading from the list while Zacky raised his hand.
“Michelle DiBenedetto, and Valary?” He asked, and the twins raised their hands he nodded mumbling something to do with them being twins before moving on. I started to doodle on my notebook again before hearing more names.
“Brian Hanner?” He called out, and Brian raised his hand.
“Mathew Sanders?” He called out a little while later, and the boy who didn't get to introduce himself raised his hand as well. After he got to the S last name is when I started to get nervous. I started to feel a cold sweat, and the color in my face never returned. If the others heard our last name I'm sure they would ask questions, but I don't know how Jimmy will answer them...
“James Sullivan, and Eva Sullivan?” He asked, and we both raised our hands. “Are you two related as well?” He asked pointing between us.
“No.” Jimmy answered simply looking out the window, and I felt my fist clench. I bit my lip, and just shook it off. I guess I'll just have to get use to him ignoring my existence... After a few more minutes of him taking role he told us that his class will be easy, as long as you show up your guaranteed at least a passing grade, and then he just sat down at his desk leaving us to our selves.
As soon as he sat down all the people I was talking with started talking again like in the beginning of class. I just sat there quiet doodling on my notebook like always.
“So, Jimmy do you know Eva here?” Val asked after a while.
“Nope, not at all.” He answered, and that's when I couldn't take it anymore. I grabbed my things, and got out of my chair writing a pass to the nurse on a piece of paper before giving it to the teacher,and having him sign it, before leaving the class without even giving them an explanation.
I wasn't actually going to go to the nurse. I didn't have any reason to, instead I went to the back of the school where you can get outside without any of the camera's noticing. I looked around making sure no one else was around before I dropped my backpack, and slid down the wall tears already in my eyes...
How could a brother say that he never met his little sister? Why? Isn't the older brother supposed to protect the younger sibling, and take care of them? Then why does mine hate me?! What did I do to deserve this?! Why didn't I just speak up that day in the hospital, and tell him it's as much my fault as it is his? He shouldn't even feel responsible, or even bad about what happened...
Eventually I wipe my eyes, and get up, grabbing my backpack, and putting it on my shoulders as I do. I hear the ending bell ring, for the next as I go back in the door of the school. Good thing too because I wasn't going to go back to English... Now, let's see next I am off too is... Guitar. I shrug not really minding since I do like to play guitar before walking of torwards my class.
I walk through the halls until I find the correct room number, and then I walk into the room to find it mostly empty, again. Just like every other class except this time I'm the only student, and it's two teachers talking up by the teachers desk. The room was set up so that there were countless music stands all around the room, and stools to go with each of them. All you had to do was grab a guitar, and sit on one of the stools at a stand.
Of course I picked one in the back towards the corner, usually guitar classes consist of students messing around with guitars, and then at least once a week testing on a song the teacher had assigned. This class should be easy for me. I wont have to talk to anyone, all I will have to do is learn the song to the best I can, and then test on it. After I test on it I have the rest of the week free, I could skip this class if I wanted to, but where whould I go?..... I guess I would just sit here, and draw something, or even just write a song using the guitar...
I guess I zoned out for a minute or so, because the next thing I knew the class was almost full with only a few seconds to the bell.
“Eva? Is that you?” I heard someone ask, and I looked around to see the source of the voice to be none other than Zacky. “You have this class to?” He asks taking a seat next to me, and I nod. “That's great! We can totally be partners on the songs, and stuff!” He says happily, and I half smile at him.
“You don't mind do you?” He asks, and I shake my head no. I would like to tell him, 'no I don't mind cause your pretty cute.', but I would never say that to anyone. Plus he probably doesn't even think I'm remotely cute anyway...In fact I should not even think about him like that, he's Jimmy's friend, if Jimmy knew I wanted to be more than friends, hell just plain friends with one of his friends, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't like it...I guess that counts for Val then too...I really can't have any friends can I?
“Hello in there?!” I heard Zacky yell at me, and then saw a hand wave in front of my face. I shook my head, and blinked a few times before focusing on him again. “Did you hear what I said?” He asked me, and I looked at him apologetically before shaking my head no. He sighed before repeating what he said.
“I said that Me, Val, Michelle, and a friend we have Johnny are all getting together after school, since it's a half day, and hanging out at the park. You know just some hanging out, talking, catching up, drinking, stuff like that, and I was wondering if you wanted to come too?” He asked me and honestly I was shocked! I had to blink a few times before I was able to reach my index finger up, and point to myself. “Yeah you who else?” He responded with laughing slightly.
“Mr.Baker! Let's not start the year off on the wrong note!” The teacher yelled at Zacky after he laughed before the teacher went back to explaining class rules.
“So will you?” He whispered a few minutes later, and I looked down and shrugged. I don't know if I should...I mean they are Jimmy's friends... “Oh come on please? You seem pretty cool I wanna get to know you, and I'm pretty sure so does Val and Michelle.” He started begging me in a whisper, and I sighed before noding yes.
“Really? You will?” He asked me and I nodded again looking over to him, and thats when a smile broke out on his face that I couldn't help, but return. “Yes!” He cheered not minding his volume.
“Mr.Baker! What did I just tell you?!” The teacher yelled at him, and I had to stiffle a laugh.
“I'm sorry wont happy again.” He mumbled to the teacher, and after he said that the bell rang, signaling the end of class. Everyone got up from their seats, and just about ran out the door to their fifth period classes.
“So you take a bus home right?” Zacky asked me as we walked out of class, and I nodded as my answer. “Cool then how about you take my bus home with me? Cause Val, and Michelle are on the same bus, and from one of the stops our bus stops at its only a few blocks from the park. Oh, and Johnny is gonna meet us there after he gets home cause he has to make sure his siblings get in his house, or something like that.” He told me, and I shrugged before noding. “Great, then here text me your locker number, and I'll grab you from your locker after school kay?” He asked me handing me a piece of paper that was kind of crumpled, as if he was holding it in his hand for a long time, and I nodded taking the paper before starting to walk away.
“Oh, and Eva?!” He called after me after I got a little ways down the hallway, I turned around so he knew I was listening before he continued. “I'm determined to get you to talk!”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for the wonderful comments heres the next chapter as promised! So the other author has a bit of writers block and was short on time so I just kinda whipped this up and put it here, however she will be back next chapter! Hope you enjoyed the chapter! Oh, and as always comments= earlier chapters. We love all the feed back as well! Thanks for reading!