Status: I'm slowly updating everything. I promise i'll finish this eventually!

Through Twisted Hearts

Under Fire Part Three

It was a few hours before Jo woke up. She stirred , stretching a little in Dean’s arms before turning to glance at the clock, letting out a soft groan. She felt Dean move next to her a sighed a little.

“Hey you,” He mumbled groggily. Jo just smiled.

“Hey.”

“Get enough sleep?” Dean asked, stifling a yawn.

“Not really,” She mumbled, sighing softly. “I think I could get a few more hours.”

“Well help yourself,” Dean mumbled back, his arm falling around her once more.

“We should probably get back before everyone freaks out.” Jo mumbled, stifling a yawn herself.

“I’m sure it’s fine,” Dean mumbled, neither of them making a move to get up. At least until the sound of Reo Speedwagon filled the Impala and Jo’s pocket vibrated. Both Dean and Jo let out a little groan.

“Really Jo?” He asked, sighing a little. Jo just chuckled, pulling the phone from her pocket and sighing when she saw Nick’s name pop on the caller ID.

“Hey Nick,” She mumbled into the receiver.

“Hey, sorry to bother you, but I think we have a problem,” The voice on the other end greeted.

“What kind of problem?” Jo asked, setting up a little.

“Your kind of problem,” Nick replied. “I’ve already sent you emails. Since Owen died this morning two more car accidents have happened.”

“Maybe that’s just a coincidence.” Jo replied, humming softly as she listened.

“Maybe, expect for the fact that they all happened in the exact spot where Owen died and same injuries and everything.” Nick told her, making Jo groan a little.

“I’ll look at it.” She told him, rubbing her face a little.

“Alright, just call me back and let me know what you think.” Nick said.

“Will do, later.” She mumbled, hanging up the phone and pushing it back in her pocket. “I think Nick might’ve found us a case to work.”

“At the college?” Dean asked, lifting a brow as he looked down at her. Jo nodded lightly.

“Yeah, he sent me some information on some cases.” She replied, setting up again, “I want to check it out.”

“I guess that means we have to head back?” Dean asked, sighing a little.

“Yeah, we probably should.” Jo mumbled.

“So you might be going back huh?” He asked as he set up as well. “But you didn’t think you’d be going back this early.”

“Not really.” Jo mumbled, sighing as they both climbed out of the back seat . Jo slid into the passenger seat and Dean slipped into the driver’s side and started the engine.

“You sound ecstatic about that.” Dean murmured, lifting a brow as he turned onto the highway. Jo just shrugged.

“College wasn’t that great.” She mumbled her eyes trained on the highway.

“what do you mean?” Dean asked curiously.

“Nothing.” Jo said, shaking her head, sighing softly. Jo was so distracted, it took her a minute to realize the Impala was slowing down. She frowned a little, glancing over at Dean.

“What’re you doing?” She asked as Dean pulled the car to a stop on the side of the road.

“Talk to me Jo,” Dean replied, looking back at her.

“What’ve we been doing?” Jo asked, lifting a brow at him.

“I’ve been talking. You’ve been avoiding something.” Dean told her easily. Jo just stared at him, unable to answer. “Tell me I’m crazy Jo, that I’m just seeing things. I’ll start the car right now.” Jo sighed softly, rubbing her face a little.

“Your crazy Dean,” She mumbled, offering him a weak little smile. “But your not wrong.”

“Okay so talk to me.” He repeated, his eyes trained on her. Jo didn’t respond for a long moment.

“I…I just don’t want you to be mad at me Dean,” Jo finally replied, looking out the car window again.

“Why would I be mad at you?” Dean asked curiously, not understanding.

“Because I screwed up,” Jo mumbled, frowning a little.

What do you mean Jo? What happened?” Dean questioned, his brow furrowing in worry. Jo shifted uncomfortably in her seat.

“It’s about Owen,” She mumbled, biting her lip.

“Who?” Dean asked, frowning lightly.

“The guy at the college who died,” Jo replied.

“Okay. What about him?”

“We…we sort of dated.” Jo mumbled, still refusing to look at him.

“Okay,” Dean said slowly, not really understanding where she was going. “And that would make me mad how?”

“Because…” Jo started, but she stopped short, taking a deep breath.

“Come on Jo, you can tell me. What happened?” Dean asked leaning foreword a little. “Did he hurt you Jo?” He asked, his voice a little tense and protective. Jo just swallowed, not answering right away.

“Jo?” Dean nudged lightly, watching her intently.

“He…he hit me,” She breathed after a long moment. She saw the reaction instantly. The way Dean tensed, his fist curling against the leather seat of the car.

“He hit you?” He repeated, his voice slow and rough and protective. Jo just nodded.

“Son of a bitch,” Dean growled, “If he weren’t dead already, I’d kill the little bastard.” He murmured.

“I’m sorry Dean,” She mumbled softly, rubbing her face again.

“Sorry for what?” Dean demanded, “You don’t have anything to be sorry for Jo.” He mumbled, reaching over and pulling Jo into his arms. She curled up against him, burying her face in his shoulder.

“I didn’t defend myself,” She mumbled into his leather jacket. “I’m trained to hunt demons and I can’t even defend myself against a drunk bastard.”

“It’s okay Jo. You’re a kick ass hunter. So what some lame ass bastard got a heads up on you? Your trained to fight demons Jo, not normal people.” He murmured, pressing his lips to her forehead, she just curled up against him. “Why didn’t you call me? You know I would’ve been there in a good second.”

“I know Dean,” Jo murmured softly. “That’s why I didn’t call. You would’ve been there and you would’ve seen me. I was screwed up Dean. Really screwed up.”

“So…you didn’t want me there?” Dean asked, sounding almost wounded.

“No, I wanted you there.” Jo murmured, clinging to him a little. “I wanted you there so much Dean. I…I just didn’t want you to see me like that.”

“I get it I guess,” Dean mumbled, sighing softly as he held her.

“I’m sorry Dean,” Jo mumbled, hugging him tighter. Dean frowned a little.

“You have nothing to be sorry about Jojo,” He murmured back, running his hand through her hair. For a long time, they just set there, Dean holding Jo in his arms before she finally pulled away.

“We should get back,” Jo mumbled after a minute. Dean just nodded, starting the Impala and pulling back onto the highway, driving back to the road house in silence.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys, sorry this update took so long! This one was the hardest one to write and I haven't been having the best days lately. This took me almost three days to write. I hope you guys like it! Oh, and I probably won't be posting anymore for at least a week or two. I want to get Burning for You and Hot Blooded(My other to SPN FF) caught up with TH. I'm hoping to have that done by Sunday, but there's no telling right now.