Sequel: Asleep Or Dead

Awake and Unafraid

Chapter Eleven

Our crowd stepped into Kaitlyn's house. It was quaint and humble. The kitchen had newly installed tile floors, and a dark mahogany cabinet set. We all sat down at the wooden table.
"I'll get you all some coffee." Her mom offered. I stood up.
"Be comfortable, Mrs. Wagner, I'll get it." She smiled warmly, and headed off for the living room. I poured us some coffee.

"Geez Kaitlyn, your mom's nice!" Frank chimed, childishly into the midst of chatter. I had to agree, she was nice. Reminds me of my mom.
"Thanks Frankie!" She cheerfully said.

"Hey, Kaitlyn! Let's check out YOUR room!" Mikey suggested.
"M'kay." She agreed, leading us down a hallway into her room. It was bright blue, green, and chocolate brown. She grimaced when she walked in. I liked it. I found it quite relaxing.

"The color sucks." Kaitlyn said, digging her socks into the tan carpeting. On the wall, was a bulletin board with various posters of us from teen magazines. Her blue bookbag was on the floor, its contents scattered. I saw a blue, green, and brown notebook with "Ideas" written on it with silver Sharpie. I picked it up.

"Oh, that's just my random notebook." Kaitlyn noticed, embarrased. I flipped through it. Damn, it was good! There were drawings and poems and comics. I was engrossed in it until her mom came in and told Taylor to leave. She begrudgingly nodded, then left, leaving Frank pouting.

"Aww, Fwankie! Your wittle giwrlfwiend left!!" Mikey teased. Frank blushed, vigorously.
"Shuddup." He noticed the wall, and pointed.
"Fangirl! Fangirl!" He yelled excitingly.
"Shut up, Frank. She is not a fangirl and you know it." Ray said.
"yeah."

We were all shouting and chattering, and Kaitlyn showed me her myspace page, and journals and drawings. Most of them of us, but good nonetheless. An email popped up on her PC and she clicked on it. It was hate mail from a girl named Laura Pember.

"Don't worry," She said. "You'll see what a loser I am tomorrow." I put an arm around her shoulder, and stifled her tears.
"You're not a loser. You're cool." I comforted her.

The email read:

Fuck you u emo fag, you suck and are stupid and dumb bitch,. u dont deserve to live so go cut urself and die. suicidal freak. goth. shithead.
-Everyone.

I was so angry. I was PISSED. It sent me back to the day, when a little girl cried the same way on a preschool playground, as she did in my arms. This time, It was different. I was there to help, and comfort her, and love her. As a friend. I'll never let them hurt her. I promised. Excuse the song lyric pun. She felt that, then smiled. She buried her head in my chest.

"Thanks, Gee." She mumbled.
"Anytime."