You're My Only One, the Only One I Ever Cared For

XVII

Steph’s POV

I had already been home for a couple days now. Lottie had been given a release date for tomorrow which i was sure her and Greg were over the moon about. I think nick would be grateful to giving him somewhere to escape to since i was possibly driving him up the wall. I knew putting me in a wheelchair was an accident waiting to happen and it had been quickly proved as i tried to manoeuvre myself to do the simplest of tasks and usually resulting in nick cleaning up something else i had broken whether it was a lamp or another item.

I was also already fed up of watching the TV unless there was a football game on. I had watched most re-runs of myth busters i could find and i was looking forward to heading back to work. As i sat at home Nick and Brandon having walked down the street to the take out for our dinner there was a knock at the door which spooked me slightly. I couldn’t get myself over to the wheelchair form the sofa and so muted the TV and yelled.

“Who is it?”

“Steph, it’s ‘Rick and Sara. We bring you something to do.”

“Do you guys have the spare key on you i can’t get to the door?”

“Nah. Hang on doesn’t matter i see Nick and Brandon.”

Within five minutes everyone was in the apartment nick and Brandon laying out food with enough for Warrick and Sara to dig in to as they sat on the sofa beside me. As they sat down i watched Sara pull out a large wad of manila folders and other pieces of paper work onto the coffee table.

“What’s all that?”

“Nick told us you were going insane, and since you can’t go to work Grissom suggested we bought the work to you. He’s in need of help, Catherine can’t tolerate it on her own with the shifts we are running at the minute with being down to the bare minimum. They were kind of hoping you wouldn’t mind helping get back on top of the paperwork?”

I sat there staring at the pile of paperwork momentarily before i turned to face Sara again.

“Sure i am pretty fed up of the TV already.”

Sara smiled as Nick stepped into the living room carrying to plates of food. One he handed to me before Brandon sat down at the small dining table we had in the apartment to eat his dinner. Nick then bought in plates for Warrick and Sara before grabbing his own and sitting at the table with Brandon. After we had all eaten Sara pulled some of the folders off the top of the pile and opened them out on her lap.

“We have a case at the minute and me and Warrick are unsure what to think of the evidence we have. We were wondering if you could help us out slightly.”

I nodded as i changed the TV to kids channels for Brandon and turned to helping with the case. As i did Nick’s cell started to ring and he seemed unhappy as he placed it on the coffee table.

“Steph, Gris is going to need me to work tonight. Are you going to be ok?”

“Yeah me and Brandon will cope fine. Haven’t you got to go get Greg and Lottie in a bit?”

Nick nodded disappearing into the bedroom. He was also on duty of taking me to the hospital tomorrow where i was hopefully able to give back the wheelchair and be rid of it. Although i had been warned i would be using a crutch for a week so onwards to let my wounds heal more.

Nick soon left taking Brandon with him knowing it would cheer Lottie up. My mind was soon entangled in the case as i suggested various ideas for Warrick and Sara. The fact they had been working so much the past few days was showing through. A couple of hours later and they too headed off leaving me in the house alone. I grabbed some of the folders of the table flicking through them and by the time Nick and Brandon had returned home i had them in organised piles for tackling.

“Can i go around to Lottie and gweg’s for an hour before bed tonight pwease?”

“I can’t see why not i would like to go see her to. We will as nick goes to work.”

Brandon seemed happy and soon had grabbed his pad of paper and colouring crayons and drew some pictures for Lottie and Greg. I was still lay on the sofa my legs now elevated against the arm of the sofa as i lay against Nick. He pulled the small blanket from beside the sofa and lay it over the two of us as we just sat there happily talking, I was glad everything seemed to be over and that Lottie to was now home. The only reminder’s i had now were the scars and injuries on my healing body. I was just glad i was still here fighting another day with Nick and Brandon and the rest of my family, blood related or not.