You're My Only One, the Only One I Ever Cared For

VI

Greg’s POV

I was currently sat in reception of the hospital waiting for a nurse to inform me of Lottie’s condition. The hard plastic chair was uncomfortable as i leant forward resting my elbows on my knees looking from the clock and then glancing around the area watching various people appear and disappear through several different door’s. As i resumed watching the clock each minute seemed to by like an hour. The waiting game was killing me and in the end i had resulted to pacing with the reception almost walking into some old and very grumpy male in the process. I was panicking as i continued to pace wondering if something had gone seriously wrong my body tense as i tried to keep my breathing controlled.

Eventually a young female nurse appeared and called my name. I stood up and made my way over to the door she was stood beside. Her face was placid as she greeted me and directed through the set of double doors so that when we spoke it was more private.

“Mr sander’s, your work colleague is very lucky to be alive right now. Her injuries are severe and she is still in quite a critical state but she is stable. She is on a strong medication of drugs as well as still being unconscious and the combination of the two could keep her out for a few days yet which will give her the chance to start recovering. I know it’s a lot to take in but all i can say is it’s a miracle she is still with us and the next 24 hours are going to be touch and go.”

As i took in each word i felt tears sting at my eyes. I forced the tears back still unknown to the extent of her injuries just that it was very serious, i knew it would be though. There were many ways a motor vehicle could injure and kill people my job had taught me that much. I couldn’t Ecklie had done this though that bastard was going to pay for this when it came to it. I looked up at the nurse as she waited for me to respond to her.

“Can i see her?”

“She is in a private ward now and i can show you to her room. The visiting times are slacked for your team as we know your working situation so visiting is at any time.”

I nodded as the nurse started to walk down the corridor and i followed like a lost puppy my head hung as i watched the floor more than i looked around. We turned various corners and walked up yet more corridors before eventually we came to a stop. The nurse looked up to me a gentle smile on her face almost as though she was reassuring me without the use of words.

“This is her room sir. I shall give you some time alone with her, anything you need i shall be just down the corridor.”

Before the nurse could turn and walk away i stopped her.

“Another colleague was bought in around the same time. He had suffered a stab wound his name is Nick stokes. I was wondering if you could let me know how he is?”

“i shall go and find out now for you and return the second i know something.”

I thanked the nurse as she headed down the corridor and i gently opened the door to Lottie’s room. I stood just inside the door at first taking in the fragile state Lottie was in her bed amongst various machines. Cut’s on her face had steri-strips on as well as there been a bandage fastened around her head. Her one wrist was in a plaster cast as well but i couldn’t see any other injuries form here. Those looked bad enough as it was my stomach churning knowing she must of gained more.

I stepped forward and picked up the clipboard that hung from the bottom of her bed. I watched her face for a couple of minutes as a lone tear rolled down my cheek before i looked down. I took in the list of drugs she was on including ketamine for the pain. That alone told me there were more serious injuries. I continued reading down the pages where finally i came amongst the extent of injuries that she was dealing with. Along with the head wound and broken wrist she has a ruptured spleen, three broken rib’s, and severe bruising to the abdomen. She had also suffered a punctured lung but that had already been seen to and was already healing.

I placed the clipboard back on the end of the bed and slowly moved around t the side of the bed. I took Lottie’s good hand into my own allow my finger’s to curl around her palm. I used my jacket to sleeve to wipe away the tears that were trying to break free. My whole body was shaking as it absorbed all the information i had been given my emotions running on high. Seeing Lottie like this was awful and was breaking me down.

I already missed been cuddled up to her at hem after a long shift, i missed the fact we would talk endlessly for hours when we were alone and the sound of her laugh. I missed the spark the seemed to ignite when our lips touched and how gentle her touch was against my skin. It wasn’t until now that i truly realised how much of an improvement she had made in my life, how happy she had made me. How each little thing she did had such an effect on me and my emotions.

As i stood there i heard the gentle click of the door closing. I turned around to see that the nurse had returned. I placed Lottie’s hand down gently on the bed again and stepped back heading over to talk to the nurse.

“You’ve heard some on nick haven’t you?”

“yes. Mr stokes is going to be fine the weapon didn’t drive to deep and so a couple of stitches are required and that is all. He will be on painkiller’s for a while but other than that they say he should be fine to work as long as there is no heavy lifting or driving. He was extremely stressed out though and just wanted to get out of here”

I suddenly felt a surge of guilt. I had said so many thing’s about steph but in reality Nick’s situation was possibly a lot more problematic than my own. I had Lottie here in the hospital the best place she could possibly be after the injuries she had gained. With Nick on the other hadn his girlfriend could be anywhere and could even of been killed by now and he knew nothing. Thinking of how i would be if that was Lottie out in the unknown i started to see an understanding side for the emotions the person i could call my brother in a way could be feeling.

It was then i noticed the nurse watching me and i knew she was awaiting some form of response out of me.

“His girlfriend was kidnapped at the same time as everything else. Could you ask him to head here to me once he’s released please?”

The nurse understood and nodded exiting the room and leaving me alone with Lottie once more. I sat in the chair this time just talking aloud as if Lottie could hear me and could respond even though deep down i knew she wouldn’t say anything. I felt a little easier talking out to her reminding her of little thing’s i remembered and that i loved about her. I told her about steph and Nick explained how she would know the best ay to calm Nick down how she was always the best at keeping emotions out of it when someone’s mind needed to be clear.

It was a while before i heard fairly heavy footsteps outside the door to Lottie’s room. I turned around seeing a worried looking nick stood outside deciding against entering the room. I stepped outside to him instead taking in the bloody and slightly torn t-shirt he still had on.

“how’s your injury?”

“It’s ok, painkiller’s are taking care of it but that’s not my main concern. How’s Lottie at the minute, i heard she was in a bad way?”

“yeah got some serious injuries she’s on ketamine amongst other things at the moment. She will be in here a little while yet she’s not come around yet, they don’t think she will for a few days though.”

I noticed nick’s eyes looking down to my hands. I hadn’t realised i was moving them so much as well as them shaking. Nick stepped forward pulling me into a one armed man hug.

“she will pull through, she’s in the best place she could be at the minute.”

“yeah. You heading out to find steph?”

“Got to i can’t just sit around and wait of the rest of the team. This is Ecklie who has her I’m just trying not to think of how it could be too late when we find her and her be just another number for doc Robbin’s.”

“You guys will find her, i would come help but i want to be here with Lottie. I wouldn’t be able to concentrate out there right now.”

“I understand that Greg. You call me if anything changes here and i will come straight back though, i promise.”

I nodded to inform Nick i agreed as he said goodbye and headed down the corridor no doubt heading straight for the lab’s. I was grateful that he was about and walking without to much pain not that it would phase him right now with other matters on his mind. I stepped back into Lottie’s room taking her hand once more as i sat in the chair allowing myself to rest my eyes for a little while my body now exhausted.