Status: Finished

Golden Slumbers

War

Oli
Another weird experience with Till today. In English, Ms. G told us to choose partners for an essay we have to work on.
I settled into my seat, prepared to be one of the last ones picked. I know I don’t exactly try to be social, so I don’t have many friends.
Then Till strolled over and put a hand on my shoulder. His nails are still painted black. “Hey, Oli, do you want to be partners with me?”
He was fiddling with his eyebrow piercings again, and I’ve come to realize that means he’s nervous. “Sure.” Till beamed at me. I couldn’t help but smile back.
The essay is our opinion on the war in Iraq. Ms. G seems to enjoy having us write about what we feel. I’m against the war, personally, cause one of my friends, Reese, went over and came back telling us how it was pointless and he’d joined a wasteful cause.
Another one of my friends, a kid named Tony, was shipped off to Iraq and got blown up two days before he was supposed to come home. I can still remember his girlfriend sobbing at the funeral.
“So, what’s your opinion on the war?” Till asked, smiling up at me. “I dunno. It’s a war.” I muttered. He poked me playfully in the ribs.
“We have to work on this together. It can’t just be what I think.” “Well, what do you think?” I kind of wanted to know, just because. “I support it. We need to help countries that can’t help themselves.”
“I don’t.” “Don’t what?” I sucked my lip ring in with my tongue before answering. Till’s eyes followed my every movement. “Don’t support the war. I think it’s wasteful and we’re poking our nose where we don’t belong.”
I sort of expected him to be angry, but his face was interested and a little mischievous. “Well, I guess we are spending billions of dollars every year, but isn’t it for a good reason?” I leaned forward to answer him, and his pretty eyes sparkled. Not that I think he’s pretty or anything!
We didn’t get to the essay today, too absorbed in our debate to work. I’m coming to realize something. Till is intelligent and well spoken. I find him interesting.
We went to lunch still going back and forth. I didn’t even realize where we were until Till sat against the wall I always eat near. Charlie and Alejo weren’t there yet, and I figured they were either in lunch detention or running late.
Till inched forward until he sat cross legged in front of me. “Alright. Truce?” He tilted his head and grinned at me. “Yes.” He put a hand on my knee. I could feel its warmth through my jeans.
Right at that moment Charlie and Alejo barged in. They’re always together. Charlie has an awful home life, so he spends most nights at Alejo’s house. “Oli, dude, you have to see this-”Alejo started to say.
They both stopped when they saw Till. “Uh...” Till sat back and waved hi, taking his hand off my knee. “You guys know Till, right?” They nodded and sat around me. “What were you going to show me?”
Alejo pulled out his phone and flashed me a number. “Yeah dude, very cool,” I said sarcastically. Till had bent at the waist until his hair brushed my face. He smells nice and his hair tickled.
“That’s Ella’s phone number,” he told us. I understood then. Alejo has had a thing for Ella Goel since eight grade. “Good job man. You didn’t steal it off her, did you?” He flushed. “No! She gave it to me!”
He looked at Till, who had been sitting quietly next to me. “How’d you know her number?” “She’s my best friend.” Alejo sat up straight and moved towards Till, grinning, “Oh, that’s cool man. Do you think you could put in a good word for me?”
Till shifted uncomfortably, but he nodded before saying quickly, “I have to go now!” He got up and basically ran off. I looked at Alejo, rolling my eyes. “Really? You had to scare him off?” They just laughed and mock punched me.
Till