Status: Completed.

Forget Yesterday

Jack.

“Yeah, Lex, I think Vinny would really love those surprises tonight,” Jack murmured into his phone, shutting down his computer.

“Even the strippers?”

“Especially the strippers. He’s turning 27 y’know, he isn’t getting any younger,” Jack grinned.

“Neither are you, old man,”

“Watch your tone with me, or I’ll have to punish you,” Jack teased, grabbing his jacket from the back of his chair and putting it on.

“Mm, spanking? Please do. I’ve been such a naughty boy,”

Jack blushed at Alex’s purr, not sure whether it was because of the chills Alex sent down his spine or the fact that he was still at work. Maybe a little of both.

“Maybe you should…”

“Mr Barakat?”

Jack squeaked at the voice in his doorway, eyes wide at the sight of his boss’s secretary, Irene.

“Uh, yeah?” Jack asked, trying to keep a calm manner.

“Mr Morgan wants to see you,” she announced.

Jack frowned.

“Really?” he asked, confused.

“Mmhmm. I don’t think it’s bad though. He’s been in a good mood all afternoon, ever since he got back from his manicure,” Irene stage-whispered, with a conspiratorial wink.

Jack flashed her a charming smile, making the secretary giggle and run from the room. It paid off to be nice to the people working below him – he always got all the gossip.

“Jack? Are you still there?”

Shit, Alex was still on the phone.

“Yeah, sorry, the secretary of one of the firm’s partners came in and said my boss, Mr Morgan, wants to see me. I’ve got to go,” Jack told him.

“Aww, you cock tease. Alright, I’ll see you tonight. Rian and I are meeting you at the bar at 8, right?”

“Yeah, 8pm. See you later,” Jack nodded.

With that, he ended the call. Swallowing heavily, Jack tucked his phone in his suit pocket and pick up his briefcase, before heading down the hallway to Mr Morgan’s office. Irene sent him a double thumbs-up for luck, to which Jack smiled at, before knocking on the door.

“Come in!”

Jack did so.

“Ah, Barakat, sit down, sit down,”

Wow, Mr Morgan really is cheerful.

“You wanted to talk to me about something, Sir?” Jack asked as calmly as possible.

“Yes, yes, I do. Nothing too bad though, so don’t worry,”

Jack tried to smile, he really did.

“For the past 5 or so years Barakat, you’ve been nothing but an excellent worker. A fantastic work ethic, always trying to push the company to it’s furthest limits,”

What was going on?

“The thing is…you’ve always been so…bland,”

Jack paled slightly. What?!

“No social life apart from lunch with your friend Mr Petrocelli, no wife, no hobbies…nothing. You could go far, Barakat, but not without a passion for life as well as for accountancy,”

Fuck. Jack knew his lack of social skills would come back to haunt him one day. Don’t panic, they wouldn’t be firing him for this, right?…Right?!

“But recently, we’ve noticed a change in you,”

“Y-You have?” Jack managed to choke.

“You seem a lot happier, Barakat. What’s the reason? I know it can’t be all the new clients you’ve taken on,”

Jack breathed a sigh of relief. Alex. His boss was talking about Alex.

“I’ve, um, I’ve met someone,” Jack replied.

“What’s he like?”

Jack felt his world freeze.

“H-He?” he squeaked.

No-one at the accountancy firm knew he was gay. Not one.

“Please, Barakat, I may be old but I’m not ignorant. I know you prefer men to women, despite you having a biological child,”

Jack blushed as his heart rate slowed back down to normal. Shit. That was not the reaction he’d been expecting.

“Um, his name is Alex, and he’s amazing. He actually works next door with my friend, Mr Petrocelli. That’s how we met,” Jack explained.

There was no point lying if Mr Morgan had managed to find out all this already without even asking.

“I’d like to meet him one day,”

“W-What?” Jack asked, surprised.

“If this Alex can make you the happiest I’ve seen you in 5 years, then I want to meet him. Bring him to one of the work retreats, or to a family day or something. He’s clearly important to you, Barakat, and therefore I think everyone should meet him,”

“If that’s what you believe Sir, then I shall make it happen,” Jack said firmly.

“That’s what I like to hear! Now, I think I’ve kept you back from going home long enough, so get going. I’ll see you tomorrow morning,”

“Thank you Sir. Goodnight,” Jack said politely.

On his way out to his car, Jack rethought over what his boss had said. It was true – before Alex, Jack had led a very boring life. He just hadn’t realised that everyone else saw that too. It was clearer than ever that Alex was an incredible influence in his life, and he couldn’t wait to let Alex know what had happened. Maybe even better things were to come.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, um, in two chapters time there's a massive bit of drama.
And it's sad :(

Thank you to everyone who commented on the last chapter! I loved all your reactions to Zack's doubts. That particular issue will reappear later on, don't worry!

xo