Status: activity based on feedback.

One Pack of Smokes from Broke.

Eleven.

Charlie rolled in her bed Saturday morning, slamming the off button on her alarm clock.

She sighed, rolling out of bed and stretching. She yawned as she walked out of her bedroom and across the hall into her bathroom.

She tiredly went through the morning showering, dressing, brushing her teeth and hair, and applying the small amount of makeup she usually wore.

When she went back into her room, she stepped in front of her mirror, quickly pulling her long, chocolate brown hair into signature bun. Upon exiting her room, she grabbed her camera and hung it around her neck by its strap.

She was surprised to see her mother standing in the kitchen when she entered, making herself coffee and holding a hand to her head. Hangover, Charlie thought.

“Hi, Mom,” Charlie said slowly while she popped a bagel into the toaster.

“Hey, Char. Whatcha up to today?” her mother asked groggily.

“Uh, well, I’m going to one of John’s shows. You remember John? He’s in a band now, I’m taking pictures of them today.”

“Oh, John. He’s a sweet boy, always looking after you. Yes, I remember hearing him sing. That boys gotta voice.” Her mother smiled.

“Yeah,” Charlie smiled back, thinking of all the times John had sang to her, even before he was in the band, as she put cream cheese into her bagel. Her mother put on into the toaster for herself, too.

Charlie didn’t talk to her mother much anymore, and when she did, she cherished every moment of it. Sitting together at the table, eating breakfast, and talking about John and his band made Charlie extremely happy. She loved having her mom back, if only for a second.

When they’d finished their meal, Charlie’s mom picked up their dishes, setting them in the kitchen sink.

Charlie wanted to stay and enjoy her mother’s old self for as long as she could, but she’d promised Garrett she’d be at the venue by noon, and it was already 11:30.

Charlie smiled slightly at the thought of Garrett, even though she’d never admit it. Another thing she’d never admit was that she loved talking to him. They’d spent the past lunch bells that week talking on and on about music. He’d even called her a few times after school and they’d just talk and talk. She loved the way his mind worked. She also loved his messy auburn hair and they way he bit his lip sometimes when he smiled and his blue eyes that Charlie couldn’t place as anything but beautiful. Their conversations never got boring, no matter what they talked about or for how long.

“Well, I gotta get going,” Charlie said as she stood in the kitchen with her mother.

“Oh, of course! Say hello to John for me. Be safe, Charlotte.”

“I will,” Charlie laughed.

Charlie gasped quietly when her mom closed the space between them, hugging her. Charlie none the less held her mother close.

“I’m so sorry for how I’ve been, Charlie, I really am. It’s just been so hard, but you’ve stayed so strong. Thank you for not leaving, too. Thank you so much. I love you.” She could hear the tears in her mother’s voice.

Charlie choked back the tears, which was hard. It was always hard not to cry when your mother way crying. “It’s okay, Mom. It’s been a rough while, I know that. I would never leave you, I promise. I love you, too, Mom.”

Her mother sniffled, breaking the hug. “Now, you on. Don’t keep those boys waiting.”

Charlie smiled, nodding. She took one last glance at her mother before exiting the house.

***

Charlie smiled as she saw a group of mostly familiar boys waiting outside the venue.

She recognized John, his best friends Halvo and Jared, Pat and his brother Tim, and Garrett. There was a boy to the right of Garrett with short light brown, almost blonde hair. She guessed they were related because they looked alike in many ways. There was also a tallish skinny boy with shaggy brown hair and a cute smile with a slight gap that Charlie found undeniably attractive.

“Charles!” John grinned, calling her by a nickname he’d made up for her long ago, one she hated.

“Shut up, O’Callaghan,” she groaned as he pulled her into a tight hug.

“Hey, Charlie,” Halvo greeted her, holding his arms open and smiling down at her. She blushed slightly, hugging the boy she’d had a crush on since they were little.

“Sorry I’m late; something came up with my mom.” She said after hugging Jared. John gave her a look, to which she only smiled.

“Not as late as Garrett’s girlfriend,” Jared mumbled, clearly annoyed.

Charlie looked over at Garrett, who also looked annoyed, texting angrily. Pat was to the left of him, looking more pitiful than pissed.

“Oooooh, Garrett’s gotta girlfriend?” Charlie teased, smirking at him, even though she was a bit confused. It was obvious that Garrett was always flirting with her, not to mention staring. Charlie’d even recently started to flirt back, but now she felt almost played.

Garrett fought the erg to tell Charlie that he most certainly did not have a girlfriend.

“Yeah, and she’s late as fuck. And we’re going to be late for sound check, Garrett.” Jared huffed angrily.

Garrett sighed, looking up from his phone. “Alright, fine. Just go inside. I’ll call her again and meet up with you guys again in a few.”

Most of the guys headed in.

“If you’re not in here in 5 minutes, we’re getting Halvo to play bass.” Tim told Garrett and Halvo cheered happily.

Garrett rolled his eyes at the two and watched as Charlie made her way to the door last. She was about to go in when Garrett reached out and grabbed her arm, his heart speeding.

She smiled at him, though confussed.

“What, I don’t get a hug, too?” he smirked.

Charlie raised her eye brows, surprised. They were both surprised that Garrett managed to say something like that without stuttering or having his face go up in flames, even though his heart was beating do hard it hurt.

“I suppose,” she breathed, looking straight into his solid blue eyes.

Garrett smiled slightly and moved his hand from her wrist to her waist, pulling her towards him.

Charlie suppressed the urge to sigh in contentment as his arms curled around her small waist and hers wrapped themselves around his neck.

Garrett breathed in her soft lilac sent, fighting his own urge to sigh in contentment and grin.

They’d never really hugged before even though they’d both wanted to, even Charlie.

Even though it was a bit uncomfortable with Charlie’s camera pressed against their chests between them, it was still undeniably nice.

Garrett chuckled as they broke apart, his heart finally slowing. “Go catch up with the guys, I’ll be in there in a bit.”

Charlie nodded, laughing slightly, too and went inside.

Garrett pulled his phone out after, dialing Rebecca’s number.

“What, Garrett?” Rebecca answered, he tone annoyed.

“Where the fuck are you?” he snapped back.

“I said I’d come when I felt like it, Jesus.”

“Seriously? You don’t support me with my band at all. I told you there’s a guy here tonight that could fucking sigh us-“

“Yeah, that’s great, Gare, but I gotta go-“

“No! Fuck you! You’re never there for me anymore. You know what? We’re fucking done. So done. Don’t you dare show up tonight.” He spoke with his voice dripping with disgust. He ended the call before she could reply.

He stayed outside for a few moments, trying to calm down. He leaned against the building and closed his eyes; Charlie’s smiling image popping immediately into his mind against his will. He smiled and thought about her for a few minutes before shoving off the wall and heading inside the venue, determinedly thinking of ways to impress Charlie tonight.
♠ ♠ ♠
I got like, 25 readers last chapter but only 3 new subscribers xD
I would've updated this earlier but the internets been down at my house for awhile. Sorry this wasn't a very eventful chapter. I'd originally planned for Charlie's mom to be nice, but not so enthusiastic, but once I started writing it, it just seemed right. And that little hug scene just popped in as I was writing, so it would've been extremely long if i put the show into this chapter, too.

Thank you to the commenters last chapter, they mean a lot.
ThingsNeverChange
Kinkeh Dinosaurs
ryanadams
<3