Status: Comment<3

Little Bit of Truth

The Want and The Need

The following day, at three in the afternoon, Eliza and Noah were set to be on a plane to London. However, the events that preceded the flight involved Noah awakening to a cold Eliza and confusion and awkwardness being the two prominent feelings in the limo as the two made their way down from Maine.

Noah was confused. How could Eliza kiss him in that manner and then proceed to giving him the cold shoulder the following morning? Eliza was confused. How could she kiss him in such a manner despite her reservations? The battle within Eliza was blazing. She was supposed to steer clear of people, that was how she worked. Then how come, when Noah leaned in, she met him halfway? How come she initiated the second kiss?

Eliza knew that she liked Noah, she had known for a while. He often left her smiling. However, she had assumed it was a crush, an attraction of the unrequited kind. Noah could never like her. However, now that she knew very well that he did hold a liking to her, it grew all the more complicated. Noah did not deserve someone like her. He ought to have someone better, someone with less baggage and far less broken.

Noah knew Eliza's cold shoulder had to do with her past. He knew she liked him. No one could kiss like that and then deny any form of attraction on their part. He also knew she needed space. She needed time to think through what was happening and that much he could grant Eliza. So, in the limo, Noah tried to ignore the grimace on Eliza's face and the furrowed eyebrows that indicated strong concentration. He knew she was reasoning with herself. He sat on one end of the seat and looked out of his window at the greenery of Connecticut.

The plane ride was the one time neither could ignore one another. Eliza knew Noah was afraid of flying. Noah was scared out of his mind. Two metal wings were responsible for his body remaining in the sky. For some reason, his assurance and confidence in science were waning. Eliza pushed her confusion aside and took hold on Noah's hand.

"It's alright. You'll be fine." She said steadily.

"If you say so, Lie. I … I trust you." He said attempting to hold the feeling of queasiness down.

Eliza was tempted to draw her hand back then. However, she kept herself in check. Noah came to the States because she had asked him to do so. The least she could do was help him through the flight.

The pair arrived at Heathrow at nine in the night and Ed was there to pick them up.

"How were the States, Eliza dear." Ed asked with a smile.

"Dad, she's from the States. Shouldn't you ask me if I enjoyed the States? It was my first time there, after all."

"Noah, hush. I like Eliza more." He said jokingly.

"Everyone likes Eliza more." Noah said with a pout.

Eliza laughed and told Edward about the wedding and the wonders of the state of Maine.

"Noah was a bit scared when we first got there. The driver merged onto the road and Noah started screaming about getting run over and being on the wrong side of the road. It took me a while to explain that in the States we drive on different sides."

"It's not my fault I've never left England." Noah said with a frown as his father and the girl he liked laughed at him.

"It's all in good fun." Ed assured his son.

"Well, Eliza dear, this is your stop. Rose wants you over for dinner tomorrow. Both of you." He added giving Noah a look.

"Alright, Ed. I'll be there."

"Let me help you with your bags." Noah said. He grabbed her suitcase and headed towards the building to Eliza's flat.

"Here you are, love." Noah said as he placed the suitcase in her living room. "I'll see you tomorrow." And before Eliza could say a thank you, Noah was gone.

Despite the debacle with Noah, Eliza was quite happy to be back in London. Rather than returning to an apartment, Eliza felt as though she had returned home. For quite a while, her life had involved constant movement from to and fro but at the moment, London seemed like home.

When Noah went back to his father’s car, he received a knowing look and Ed said “You fancy her.”

“Dad, don’t start.” Ed put his hands up in defeat as he drove Noah to his flat. The pair could ignore it as long as they wanted. Ed knew how it would end.

Eliza fell back into the routine of London life a week into her return. Dinner with the Evanssons was a grand time. Ivy had introduced Tom to the family and despite the family's weariness about the tattooed man, they approved of him upon becoming better acquainted with him.

Eliza was working at Strand when a text message notification alerted her ear.

"I've got a gig tomorrow, come?"

It was from Noah. He had stayed away from Eliza since their return to London. At dinner, he had merely offered his own minute opinions on Eliza's stories. He had kept his distance, giving her time to think over things. She knew she needed to go to the gig. He had always said she ought to come see him play sometime. Her feelings and emotions needed to be pushed aside for a moment and she needed to support Noah.

"Text me the details" Eliza replied.

Eliza was standing in a crowd of screaming, sweaty people as dim lights lit the stage as Noah and his band finished a song. They were a pleasant band and their songs were quite catchy, albeit a tad on the rockier side. However, it was not the music that amazed Eliza. It was Noah’s stage presence that made her jaw drop. Noah was another person when he was one stage. He oozed confidence and his normal cheeky remarks were heightened. Every time he smiled, every girl in the room squealed and then proceeded to faint.

"Alright, we're gonna slow it down now. This is the last song of the night so sing with all your heart ‘cause my voice is gone. This one goes out to a girl named Eliza. Lie, for you I'll always wait."

Eliza blushed at having a song dedicated to her. As the acoustic guitar started, Eliza stood mesmerized. However, when the lyrics hit Eliza’s ears, the gravity of the dedication seeped into her mind.

“She is my rock and my rolling thunder
I've been the spell she was under
I, I love that girl

She is my cigarettes and champagne
She's got me strung but I'm not running
I, I love that girl
I, I love that girl

She is the days I can't get over
She is the nights that I call home endlessly
For you I'll always wait

Caught in the waves of hesitation
Lost in the sea of my own doubt endlessly
For you I'll always wait
For you I'll always wait”


Eliza stood frozen. He did not just admit to loving her. Not liking, not thinking she was cute, but full on, song-inspiring, fireworks-exploding, loving her.

“She is the flame and the fire she's raging
I've been the spark and the war she's waging
I, I love that girl

She came along and she spoke so sweetly”


Those words made Eliza smile. During their first encounter, Eliza had done anything but speak sweetly.

“Changed everything, took my heart completely
I, I love that girl
I, I love that girl

She is the days I can't get over
She is the nights that I call home endlessly
For you I'll always wait

Caught in the waves of hesitation
Lost in the sea of my own doubt endlessly
For you I'll always wait

And the city buzz and empty cars
It's 3 a.m. I wonder where you are
And the crooked smiles and worn out miles between us
Now I wonder where you are

She is the days I can't get over
She is the nights that I call home endlessly
For you I'll always wait

Caught in the waves of hesitation
Lost in the sea of my own doubt endlessly
For you I'll always wait
For you I'll always wait
For you I'll always wait”


Noah finished the song and looked up to Eliza, locking eyes. He gave her a look, one that asked a question but Eliza did not know the answer to this question. She did not think she ever would.

Eliza rushed out of the venue for her lungs were restricting. The air in that packed venue was far too stifling for her. Why would Noah go and pull such a stunt? Announcing something as stupid as his love for her? His stupid acoustic guitar, the ludicrous melody that spread a sense of serenity through her, his lyrics that spread warmth to every pore in her body and his beautiful voice that Eliza would not mind hearing for the rest of her life, these were all things that made her hate Noah. Why did he have to be so … so Noah-like?

What he had done today was the kind of thing that in Eliza’s mind was a problem. And Eliza dealt with problems in a fashion true to Eliza Marie Barnes. At the moment, she was furiously tapping away at her cell phone, searching flights, buses and trains; anything that would take her away from foggy London town.

“Lie, what are you doing out here in the pouring rain?” Asked the very voice that Eliza was running from.

"Well, if you must know, I'm trying to find the next train to Glasgow."

"Eliza." Noah said in a stern voice.

"Don't you Eliza me, Noah! This problem would not exist if it weren't for you. I was beginning to enjoy London. I've stayed here for what … four months? And I was finally thinking I could put my life in order somewhere and then..."

"Four and a half." He muttered, interrupting the seething brunette.

"What did you say?" Eliza asked.

"I said four and a half months." He started, taking a step towards her with every word

"You've been in London for four and a half months. You and I met each other four months and one week ago. You hated me and I hated you. I realized I liked you two months ago at my mother’s dinner party. I realized I may be in love with you after your brother's wedding, which was two weeks ago. I ..."

"Just stop! Stop!" Eliza said her voice shaking as she slowly backed away from the green-eyed boy. She kept moving back and Noah kept moving towards her. Her back hit a red telephone booth. What a cliché setting, a girl and boy leaning against a red telephone booth in London while rain poured from the heavens.

“‘Lie, all I want to know is, what is it? Why are you running?”

“Noah, I would love to tell you. But even I cannot answer that question.” Eliza answered in a shaky voice.

Noah sighed. “Lie, don’t’ give me an answer. I’m not asking for the world. Hell, I won’t ask you anything. I just want you to try. Try not pushing me away.”

“Noah, I can’t do that.” Eliza said “I’m horrid. I killed my brother and the only person I ever dated ended up cheating on me. I’m pushing you away because I’d rather you not get hurt. You need someone else. Someone who isn’t me.” Eliza knew there tears streaming down her face, mixing in with the raindrops.

“Lie, don’t feed me that. We both know altruism and selflessness aren’t your strong suits. I wouldn’t bother if I didn’t want you.”

“But... Noah, no one wants broken china because no matter how much you try to glue it back together, it’ll never be as good as it once was. I’m broken and you and I both know it. I’m too young to be jaded, I know. But, sometimes, life doesn’t look at age. It does whatever it wants to. You need someone else.”

Noah reached down and cupped Eliza’s face in his hands.

“I don’t want someone else. I don’t need someone else. I want you and I want you to want me. Call me selfish, but I like getting what I want. Perfection lies in imperfection and you’re perfect for me. I don’t care about the things in your past. They’re merely battle scars that show you’re a lot stronger than others would think.”

He leaned down and placed a soft kiss on her lips.

“I need you, Lie.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I added to what Eliza and Noah say at the end. I felt it was a tad awkward and whatnot.
Comment, subscirbe. I'm 21 readers and 6subs away from 10 stars, make it happen or don't. I still love you because without all you readers and supporters, I'd never have made it this far.
Yesterday was this story's four month anniversary. Wow, I've gotten so far in four months. Love you all.
This is the song Noah sings.
Oh, I've got a new story. Morning Light. Tell me what you think
Marie