Status: Comment Please :)

The Way We Were

A Visit From Dad

October Twenty-Ninth

That morning I woke up alone in our bed, finding a note and flower on Caleb's pillow. I smiled as I sat up and took the note from the pillow, unfolding it and reading it.

I can't wait to marry you.

I smiled and held the flower to my nose, breathing in its delicate scent before sitting up completely and getting out of bed. I pulled my robe off the chair and put it on as I walked over to the balcony doors, I could hear people laughing and talking from below. I opened the doors and leaned against the railing, watching our guests bask in the sun and lounge around the pool.

Last night we had about forty tents set up, they weren't some wimpy little tents either. They were pretty big with air-conditioning, had beds with blankets and linens, and were the coziest makeshift homes a person could have.

The tents were spread out around our house, and along the side of the house was a bar that was open twenty-four hours, last night was only the beginning of our weekend long partying, and our guests were more than grateful.

"Audrey! Today's the big day!" Chanel called from down below.

I smiled, "Where's my soon to be husband?"

"At his parents, he needed to get some last minute things done." Daniel replied.

"I'll be right down." I said, turning to go back inside. I went downstairs and outside, being greeted by hugs and everyone's excitement. My mum came through the crowd and was grinning as she pulled me into a hug.

"Today's the day!" She smiled.

"I know! I'm so excited." I smiled back.

"Where's Caleb?" She asked.

"Um, I don't know, Daniel said he went to his parents place." I replied.

"What happened to your face?" She looked shocked, seeing the slight bruise from the fight the other night.

"I uh, ran into a door." I lied, trying not to laugh at the ridiculous lie I came up with.

"...a door?" She furrowed her brow, but before she could further question me, I saw Jared coming over with a cup of coffee.

"Good morning sunshine." He smiled, handing me the cup of coffee.

"Thanks Jared." I smiled, I looked past him and saw Brian getting out of his rental car. As Jared began talking with my mom, I excused myself and walked through the crowd to where Brian was. I smiled at him and he smiled half-heartedly back.

"Hey." I said.

"Hey." He replied. We didn't say anything after that.

He cleared his throat, "I'm really sorry about the other night. I am so sorry."

I started to laugh, "Don't worry about it. It was gonna happen sooner or later." I hugged him.

"I broke up with her."

I slowly eased out of our hug and looked up at him with a surprised look. "Really?"

He nodded. "We were headed for a break up anyway. This was just, the last straw. I ended it that night, and sent her back to Cali."

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"I'm okay, I'm relieved actually." He smiled, giving a short laugh.

I smiled, "So you're still coming today right?"

"Of course. I'm here, right?" He laughed.

"Are the guys coming?"

"Is that still okay?"

"Of course." I laughed, "Call them and tell them to get their butts over here. As if I'd get married and not invite you guys."

"Well, I'll just go back now, I'll let them know and come back in a few hours. What time is the ceremony?" He asked.

"At Six."

"I'll be back before then." He replied.

"Alright." I smiled.

We hugged again before he went back to the car and left, I waved good-bye to him and then went back to the party. I decided to go over to the ceremony site and check out the set up and the decorations.

I sipped my cup of coffee and walked around, seeing all the flowers strewn everywhere and the branch of the willow trees blending with the strings of flowers and lights. I walked around and looked at the rectangular hay bales with quilts on them, used as seats for our guests. I wanted it very simple and country chic.

As I walked through the willows, I then saw my dad standing there, not far from me. I smiled and walked over to him.

"Hi dad." I smiled.

"A wedding and a baby." He smiled.

"What do you think?" I asked, biting my lip.

"I couldn't be any happier. I've never been more happy and proud of you." He replied.

I smiled and sat down on one of the bales, "I'm happy too."

"Tell him that I'm glad that that my daughter's marrying a guy like him. I approve." He smiled.

"I will." I then heard footsteps approaching from behind, I turned around and saw Caleb.

"Who are you talking to?" He smiled.

"My dad." I smiled back.

"Really? How is he?" He asked, sitting next to me.

"He's good. He's happy for us."

"Really? That's awesome." He grinned.

"And he wanted me to tell you that he approves, and that he's glad I'm marrying a guy like you." I smiled.

He smiled and looked down, "That's really amazing."

I held his hand, "Let's go back to our guests, they might think we've run away again."

He laughed, "Alright."

I got up and was about to walk, but he tugged on my hand. "Wait."

I turned to him.

He then cupped my face and kissed me slowly and passionately. He smiled, "I didn't get to give you a kiss this morning." I smiled and pecked his lips. "I love you."
♠ ♠ ♠
comments please :)