Say Anything You Want, I'll Turn the Music Up

Chapter 5: Big Time Misunderstanding

Say Anything You Want, I'll Turn the Music Up ♥ James Diamond{BTR!}

Chapter 5: Big Time Misunderstanding


I stared after Rain. I knew I should go after her. I just couldn’t make myself do it because, I told myself, I had to get back to work before Bitters caught me fraternizing and fired me. I had never in my life imagined I would choose money over friendship, but then I also told myself that she had needed to be put back in line. I didn’t know where this sudden boldness–between me pouring a coke over James’s head and telling off Rain–was coming from.

I began to pick up the towels and refold them for the second time. I ignored the boys as Carlos cleared his throat then shuffled off. I could feel James still staring at me. I tried to make myself refuse to look up and give him that satisfaction, but for once I couldn’t help myself. I actually wanted him to make some snide remark about what a horrible friend I was, because I knew I deserved it and the worse I felt the better.

But when I looked up at him, there was no evil payback glint in those hazel eyes. Instead James was staring at me with sympathy. That only served to make the burning behind my own eyes worse, and I roughly looked away.

When a tan hand handed me a perfectly folded white towel, I had no choice but to look at him again. I wanted to say thanks, I tried, but all that came out of my mouth was a choked sound.

To my surprise–and dismay, because honestly, not only did I want him to make me feel bad, I actually enjoyed this hate game between us, except for, you know, awaiting his revenge and everything–he didn’t even laugh. Instead he just said, "Fighting with friends sucks."

I let out a choked laugh. "Like you would know. You and your little group are perfect."

"It’s just like when siblings fight," James said. "Friends fight too. You’ll make up though."

I shook my head sadly. "You don’t know Rain." I wished he would just leave me alone so I could put the stack of towels over my face and cry. He handed me another one.

"Once," he said, not to me in particular because he was looking off in the distance and his eyes had a far off look, "I kissed Logan’s girlfriend. It wasn’t like, on purpose. We were both audition for a part in the same show and when we were running lines it just...happened. But he was super mad. Another time, I left BTR to go solo. I didn’t think they’d ever take me back. But they did. No matter what, we’re still friends." He looked at me again.

"That’s your friends. They have big hearts." Unlike you, I didn’t say. "Rain, she... she has a big heart, but she takes every insult to heart. She’s not the type to forgive. She’s too... outspoken. To be honest she’s too much of a bitch, pardon my mouth."

"Just try apologizing," James said and handed me the last towel.

"You know," I said to him, "I misjudged you. You’re really not a completely shallow person after all."

As soon as I said that, finally, finally he got an evil look in his eyes. "So. Is it true then?"

"Is what true?" I asked absentmindedly. Now that he was back to only caring about himself I was back to being mean and ignoring him.

"You don’t date boys?"

"There’s just no one worth dating." Suddenly I caught what he’d said. "Wait. There’s a difference in not dating [i[period and not dating boys. I just don’t date."

"Sure," he said. "Now it all makes sense. How you could resist this." He did that thing where he wiggled his fingers and moved his head.

"I am not a lesbian!" I said. "My point about Rain made. You have no business in my love life whatsoever. When I find a guy worth dating, I will date him. Every guy I’ve met to this day has been a douchebag though."

He was smirking, and I realized letting my guard down had been a mistake. I would never ever trust that he was anything but concerned for himself again. I also vowed to myself that I would never apologize to Rain–or even accept an apology from her–for putting me in this position. Thanks to her, James was going to tell everyone at the Palm Woods that I was a lesbian. I would have to come up with something else to get him back. Before that, though, I needed to–

"Better get back to work, Pool Boy," James whispered super close to my ear, and I wondered how he’d got there. And now that he thought I only liked girls, the ‘Pool Boy’ thing would mean so much more to him. "Bitters is coming."

I looked up, and sure enough, he was. I headed off to give the people who’d asked their towels, if they even wanted or needed them anymore. When I looked back, James was already gone. I told myself not to care what anyone in this place thought about me or thought I was–"Keep your hopes up high and your head down low," I quoted A Day To Remember in my head–but in the back of my mind I couldn’t help but care, no matter how low a profile I kept.

I had no car, no best friend, a mom who made my life a living hell, and now a gorgeous volatile boy spreading lies about me and my character to everyone I had to see and deal with everyday, making my life even more hell. I wanted to curl up and just cry more than I ever had in my life.