Teenagers

Amaya

My hopes had not let me down. The next day at school, I found her standing awkwardly at Mr. Griffon's side as he looked to find a seat for her.

"Adira, does anyone sit on your right?"

Immediately I shook my head, and with all God's--or whoever-- grace, she ended up seated next to me.

"Hi" she muttered shyly.

I smiled a little and said, "You won't learn anything in here."

She seemed to almost laugh, but then just grinned. "I can tell. Is it always this crazy?"

Looking around, I realized no one was standing, and a few people were actually not talking. I did a double take. Was Austin reading?? "Uhm... actually, usually it's worse."

She looked shocked. "What do they usually do?"

"Most of the time, people are standing and yelling...and I don't think I have ever seen him read before."

This made her laugh. "At least you're in here." Her face changed suddenly, in an expression that said, 'did i just say that?'

She looked uncomfortable, so I said, "I think I saw you yesterday. Do you live close to True Vine Baptist Church?"

"Yes."

"Adira, would you be quiet?"

Shocked, I glared up at Mr. Griffon. "Are you kidding me?"

"Does it look like I am joking?" he demanded.

"Mr. Griffon. Look around, and tell everyone to shut up. Don't tell THE one person who is always silent to be quiet. That doesn't even make sense! This kid," I point at Austin, "stands up in the middle of your class every day, and all you do is shrug it off. And me-- I never talk, until today. Today is the first time I have ever talked in your stupid class, and you yell at me. Are you serious?"

He started to say something, but I interupted with a short, "Fuck you. And don't even bother with the 'go to the office' speech. I'm out."

And I left the classroom. There was no way that I was going to the office though, so I headed straight for the bathroom. I hadn't eaten that day or the two days before, so no matter how hard I heaved, nothing came up but tears. Tears from trying to force it out. NOT from Mr. Griffon.

Oh, why did I have to be so stupid and leave her all alone in that horrid room? I didn't even figure out her name before I freaked out. Whatever good thoughts she had begun to have for me, I had smashed, and I knew that. Finally I couldn't take it, and I punched the damn stall door. It was too much force. The already cracked lock snapped in have, a ragged edge now two feet away from me.

In a moment of pure selfishness, I snatched that peice of metal and tore at my arm. Why? Because I had no food to throw up, no one to yell at, and no Chris to abuse me. I needed blood. Like a vicious predator finally discovering meat after a famine, i slashed and slashed so hard that there were bruises and cuts all over. Blood splatted on the floor.

Hopefully, when I left, someone would think it was just period blood. Hopefully, I wouldn't have to leave by my own will.

I knew that was a pointless thought, though, because it wasn't enough to harm me.

Suddenly, I heard footsteps, and I pulled the broken stall door closed, holding it there, even when I heard her voice say "Adira?"

I could hardly breath as I heard a gasp.

"Adira, please open this door." Something about her voice...it was unfamiliar. Like she cared. It was because of this that I let go of that door, and my awful secrets were disclosed. "Oh, Adira, how could you? Did you--did you BREAK the lock?"

All I could do was nod.

She left the stall, grabbing paper towls and dampening them with water from the sink. When she returned, she began cleaning me up. I could only stare at her, how focused she was, how worried she seemed.

"Why?"

Honestly, it wasn't supposed to come out, and her answer was totally unexpected. "Because you were the first student to say anything to me today."