‹ Prequel: Remind Me
Status: Coming to life...

I Lost It

Chapter 5

Jeff had agreed to go to Canada, after a big struggle.  I liked that he wanted to stay with me. 

The compromise for him not being able to be at the Doctors was that I would FaceTime him from the appointment.  

Friday had come around and I hadn't talked to Jeff once yet.  The last time we spoke was right after he left on Sunday. 

I didn't want to think it, but I couldn't help myself... Had he reconsidered and thought about how much he had signed himself up for?  No.  He wouldn't.  It was probably just an issue with his phone or something.

My doctor's appointment was in 15 minutes and I still hadn't been able to get in touch with him.

I tried to call once more before I got out of my car. 

*ring* *ring* "Hello beautiful!"

To be honest, I was speechless.

"I thought you changed your mind." I questioned him. 

"Never." he said back, smiling. "So what time is the appointment at?  10:30, right?  10 minutes?"

"Yeah, you still-"

"I can't wait." 

I couldn't help but smile to myself. This guy was great! 

"I'll call you in a little bit then, when I get in and everything, so keep your phone with you."

"I will. I love you."

"Bye. Love you."

~~~

I walked into the office and was immediately taken in.  I guess they were ready for me.

"Hello Katie! How have you been?" My doctor asked me as we walked down the hallway to the exam room.

"Great!" I happily answered her.

I couldn't hide it.  I have been so much happier since Jeff came back.

"Well lets get this thing started then!" She said, as she pulled the gloves onto her hands.

"I'm sorry, can I just FaceTime my-" I cut myself off. "my friend?"

I honestly didn't know what Jeff and I were as far as a couple.  I was sure we were fiends though.

"No problem! I'll just go run to the ladies room quickly and come back in a minute."

I thanked her as he walked out and got my phone from my jacket pocket.

I tried to FaceTime him and got no answer.  I gave it a minute and called again.  Still nothing.

Not long after, the doctor came back in.

"Are we all set?"

"No, he didn't answer." I explained. "But you can start. It's fine."

I know I can't be mad at Jeff for this.  I wasn't going to hold it against him for things that he isn't really obligated to do.  He didn't owe me anything, and I wasn't right to expect things from him.

"Okay, let's get this show on the road then!" She said, stopping my thought process, which was probably a good thing. "Lift your shirt up a little for me and I'm gonna put the gel on."

"Maybe it's better he wasn't on FaceTime for this." I joked.

Just then, my phone started to ring.  It was Jeff on FaceTime.

"And speaking of the devil!" The doctor said jokingly as I answered it.

"Hey, I'm sorry! I was in the car."

"It's okay, we are just starting now."

"I know." He said back, and he laughed at the look I gave him.

"Can you hear that?  That is baby A's heartbeat.". The doctor told me and I began to tear up.

I couldn't believe that this was in of my baby's heartbeats.

"Do you hear that? It's amazing!" I asked Jeff.

The door opened and there he was looking at the screen in shock. "It's unbelievable!"