Status: Going on hiatus for awhile.

Trapped in a Vile World

Chapter Thirteen

“Zacky!” he snarled viciously. Zacky finally released me from his kiss and smiled up at Brian.

“Yes?” he asked, smirking as he slid an arm around my waist and pulled me in front of him.

“Zacky, I thought I told you to leave her alone,” Brian said, eyeing his hand on my hip.

“We were just having a little chat,” he said innocently.

“Chat my ass!” he growled.

“Brian,” I said quietly. His eyes darted to my face. I tried to show him that I was calm, that I was okay and completely unharmed. His expression calmed down.

“Zacky,” Brian said, straining to keep his voice calm. “Please leave.” Zacky smirked and squeezed my hip, leaving a little imprint of his fingers before strolling out, casually enough to infuriate Brian. After Zacky was through the door, Brian slammed it shut. I jumped. “I leave for five minutes and that fucking prick – “

“Brian,” I said calmly, walking over to him and touching his arm. “Calm down. He didn’t hurt me.” He looked me over quickly and checked my exposed wounds, but accepted grudgingly that I was telling the truth. He handed me a warm bowl of soup that I took gladly. “Thank you,” I said sweetly, walking over to the fire and sitting in one of the chairs. As I began to sip down my soup, Brian took the other chair. I glanced over at him to see him staring into the fire, deep in thought. I continued to eat my soup in silence, waiting for him to speak.

“What did he say to you?” Brian finally said to me.

“What?” I asked, looking up from my soup. He continued to stare into the fire.

“What did Zacky say to you?” he repeated. I looked back at my soup.

“Well, he didn’t really say much of anything,” I said, playing with the bowl. He looked at me, and his brown eyes were clouded. I only looked back at him for a moment, then returned to sipping my soup. He sighed heavily.

“So he did tell you,” he said, sounding resigned. I looked back up at him.

“Told me what?” I asked, setting my near empty bowl on the floor.

He looked down rejected, then looked back up at me and bared his teeth. I gasped. His razor sharp fangs glinted in the light. Was everyone in this place a vampire? His eyes widened at my reaction.

“He didn’t tell you?” He asked, surprised.

“Well, no,” I said, still a little shell-shocked. “Although, I guess I should’ve guessed. At this point, it’s kind of obvious.” He looked away. “Brian, it’s okay,” I said gently, reaching out my hand to touch his. He squeezed it back.

“Thanks, Tera,” he smiled.

“Well, I owe you my life. A few times over,” I laughed. He laughed with me.

“Tera, I think you need to rest,” he said more seriously. I nodded, running my hands through my ragged hair.

“It’s been a long day,” I mumbled, looking into the fire.

“To say the least,” he laughed. I looked over at him shyly.

“Can I go see Jimmy first?” I asked nervously. He nodded, and we left the room together.

“His room is right –“ he started.

“Across the hall,” I finished, heading for the door. I turned around when I realized he was giving me a quizzical look. “I accidentally popped in on him earlier,” I mumbled, embarrassed. He shook his head, laughing at me.

“You’re just like him,” Brian said to himself. “Goodnight, Tera,” he said waving and walking down the hall. “Just yell if you need something,” he said without looking back. I laughed and waved at his back.

“Goodnight, Brian,” I said softly. I slowly opened the door to Jimmy’s room and poked my head in. It was silent, and pitch black. “Jimmy?” I asked softly.

“Tera, is that you?” I heard him mumble sleepily from across the room.

“Yes it’s me, silly,” I giggled, closing the door and slowly worked my way over to his bed. “Jimmy, can I ask you something?” He nodded sleepily in response. “Can I sleep in here tonight?” I asked quietly.

“Sure thing, kiddo,” he mumbled, almost incoherently. I smiled and curled up next to him. He was already asleep again. I giggled.

“Goodnight, Jimmy.” I whispered.

“Night, sis.”