Meaningless Routine

it's always hit me from below

Aiden was released from the hospital a couple days later. They were going to give him some time to figure out his next step. I didn't understand most of the options he was given, but I knew it was quite a few. His level of pain lowered but they still gave him medicine just in case.

On the day he was released, there was a party at Austin's house. He invited us to go, and while I was iffy, Aiden assured us that we were okay to go, that he was okay to go.

When we showed up, all of our old friends were there. Austin was there with his new girlfriend, of course. Ben was there with a new girl. Madeline showed up as well. The guys from the old baseball team greeted us as if we were still in high school.

Because of the medicine he was taking, Aiden wasn't able to drink. I told him I wouldn't drink with him, but he made sure I was going to.

I could see that he was in pain, but he was hiding it around his friends. He didn't want them to know he was hurting. He wanted to be strong.

"So, how's the treatment going?" Ben asked. He took the spot next to me when Aiden went to talk to an old friend.

Frowning, I shook my head. "It's not going well. And he acts so casual about it, but I know he's scared. He just won't tell me. He thinks he's protecting me."

"Well, at least you two are back together. The past two years were hell. He always talked about how he missed you and still loved you. I'm happy to see you two."

A smile adorned my face as I thought about us. I really was more than happy to be back with Aiden. He was honest to God the love of my life.

Aiden came back to me. He smiled at Ben and leaned down to kiss me. He reached for my hand and pulled me up. I furrowed my eyebrows at him as he told me he was ready to leave. He was the one who wanted to come to this party in the first place and we hadn't even been there an hour.

"What?" I asked.

He repeated that he was ready to go home as he led us through the house to say our goodbyes. The drive to Aiden's was short. When we got there, there was no one home. He pulled me upstairs to his bedroom and kissed me as soon as the door was shut.

"I love you," he told me.

I smiled, kissing him back. "I love you," I said back.

"I love you with all of my heart and with all of me. You are what I live for."

I didn't respond because he kissed me again. We moved to his bed and we made love that night. It was beautiful. It was everything it used to be and I was so happy to be his again.

When we woke the next morning, I was tangled in his arms. Aiden pulled me closer to him and whispered that he loved me. I breathed him in, never wanting to leave that moment.

"How about the beach today?" Aiden murmured. He trailed his lips across my shoulders.

With a smile, I nodded. "Perfect."

We spent the next hour getting a bag ready for the beach. Aiden called Ben and asked him to join us with his girlfriend. They agreed and not even an hour later, we were on the road to the beach.

Ben's new girlfriend was named Jess. She was sweet, very sweet. Her humor was very sarcastic and dry but she was also nice. She had shoulder length brown hair that flattered her frame very well. Her doe eyes were a caramel color and it matched well with her hair and pale skin.

"So I don't mean to pry, but Ben mentioned to me that you two were together for several years in high school but broke up. What made you two get back together?" Jess asked.

She and I were in the back seat while Ben and Aiden sat in the front. "Well when we broke up, it was kind of mutual," I started.

"Yeah right," Aiden scoffed. "It wasn't mutual but I went along with it because I love her and knew it was what she wanted."

I rolled my eyes, glancing at Jess again. "Anyways, it was mutual because we both just needed something else. Aiden was in college and I was about to graduate. It was just for the best. But we both still loved each other for those two years. And I guess it just took this setback to bring us back together. I want to be here for Aiden's treatment and be with him while he gets better."

Jess smiled at me and Aiden looked back at me. I put my hand on his arm and with his hand not on the steering wheel, he covered my hand with his. "You two are so perfect."

Jess continued to ask questions during our drive about us and I also asked about her and Ben. She was really good for him and I was happy that Ben found her.

At the beach, Ben and Austin lit a small fire. Jess and I went to the water while they did that. It was barely warm, but it still felt good.

Aiden and Ben eventually joined us. We splashed around and played for a while. Aiden reached for my waist, pulling me into his embrace. He kissed me and I couldn't help but smile.

"I hope you know he worships the ground you walk on," Jess told me as she sat next to me.

On the other side of me, Aiden laughed. He kissed my cheek and put his head on my shoulder. Ben sat to Jess and grinned. "He's whipped, always has been!" he exclaimed.

"I just love her, man," Aiden replied.

"You love her more than I've ever seen anyone love anyone," Ben retorted. "It's unnatural to love someone that much."

Aiden shrugged. "It's unnatural, maybe, but it's natural to me. She's my world."

I laughed and kissed his head. "You're so whipped, baby."

We all laughed, including Aiden. He leaned forward on his knees to start the fire in the middle of us. It only took a moment for the warmth to consume us.

"Aiden, man. I know I always joke around with you about Al but I'm really happy for you guys. I'm happy you're so in love and so happy. It's admirable. It's what Jess and I strive to have," Ben admitted.

Both Aiden and I smiled at him. "I know, it's fine. You know that," Aiden replied.

"Are you scared?" he asked suddenly. Looking at him, my boyfriend furrowed his eyes. "Are you scared to die?"

"Benjamin," Jess scolded.

"It's fine," Aiden said quickly.

"I'm sorry... I'm sorry Alex," he added, noticing my suddenly sad face. I looked down, since that was the last thing I wanted to talk about.

Jess put her hand on my leg as Aiden grabbed my hand. He laced our fingers and kissed my knuckles.

Finally, Aiden sighed. "I'm not scared to die," he answered.

"Why not?"

"Ben," Jess said again.

Aiden waved his free hand, saying it was okay. "Because I have lived more in my twenty years than most people have. I fell in love... A kind of love that very few people get to experience. The only thing I'm scared of is how Alex will take it, if it happens."

I noticed how he made it a point to say if instead of when even though we both knew he meant when.

"But I'm not going anywhere," he added after a second. "Alex is stuck with me forever."
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment please