Sequel: Wrists Intact

Hearts Intact

Sometimes We Take Pills

It wasn’t a long kiss but it made my heart do flips none the less. When he pulled away he was smiling. I really didn’t know what to do.
“Know who now?” He asked. He sounded so smug that even though I was feeling weak, (yeah I know, cheesy, but it’s true, I was!) I just had to put him back in his place.
“Nope, no clue.” I said, turning away from him. There was a moment’s hesitation and then…
“Fine, I guess I’ll just have to give you another hint!” Ryan said. And then he pounced on me. For a second everything was chaos and somehow, we both ended up on the floor. He smiled at me and then kissed me again.
To both of our surprise I kissed back. It was like a scene out of some really cheesy romance movie, us on the floor, kissing. As stupid and cheesy as it was it honestly felt so great. I didn’t want it to ever end.
We didn’t go beyond kissing, (which suited me just fine) and soon we were just lying on the floor, our arms around each other.
“You know, I’ve liked you ever since the day we first met.” Ryan said a few minutes later. I smiled.
“I thought you were weird.” I said. Ryan laughed and kissed my cheek.
“I liked you from then, but the moment I realized that I loved you was when you were in that alley, with those guys.” Ryan said darkly. We hadn’t really talked about it.
“The day after we met, when you found me singing my song.” I said. “Even though you scared me.”
“I didn’t mean to.” Ryan said, his face falling. Note to self; never, ever say that I’m scared of him. Makes him depressed.
“I know.” I said.
“I just didn’t want those guys to hurt you!” He said. I nodded.
“I know, and I’m glad you did. Though it was annoying how you kept calling me a liar!” I said. Ryan smiled.
“That’s because you are one! Ask anyone, even your brother, and they’ll agree.” He said. I pretended to glare at him.
“So you’ve been talking behind my back have you?” I asked, trying to sound mad. I must have succeeded because Ryan suddenly looked very uncomfortable.
“I-uh, no, I mean, nothing bad!” He stuttered.
“Ryan?” I said. He looked uncomfortable as he cleared his throat.
“Yes?” He asked, sounding worried.
“I’m joking.” I said. For a second he looked surprised and then he pretended to be annoyed.
“That was mean!” He muttered. I laughed.
“I’m a girl, I’m supposed to be mean, haven’t you ever seen Mean Girls?” I asked. Ryan made a face and I laughed again.
“You are not like those girls at all! You’re nice, actually talented and pretty!” He said, numbering them off on his fingers.
“Right.” I said, drawing out the word. Ryan rolled his eyes, still smiling though.
“You are, trust me, I’m vain, I only date amazingly beautiful girls!” He said. I was silent and after several seconds he burst out laughing.
“I’m joking!” He said. I pretended to look hurt.
“So you’re saying that I’m not amazingly beautiful?” I asked, pouting. Ryan looked so alarmed I almost blew it by laughing.
“No way, you are the most beautiful person in the world!” He said. That was it, I couldn’t help it, I started laughing.
“Dude, I’m not being serious!” I said. “I’m not one of those girls who fish for compliments!”
“You don’t need to, you get a lot.” He said, sounding relieved. I do?
“I do?” I asked, voicing my thoughts. He nodded.
“Yeah, people just don’t say them to you.” He said. Well, you’d think they would. There is absolutely no point in complimenting me if I never hear about it!
“Well then, you learn something new everyday.” I said. Ryan chuckled and pushed a long strand of hair out of my eyes.
“You’re happy.” He said. It was a statement, not a question.
“Yup, and you?” I asked, nodding. He smiled and kissed my forehead.
“I’ve never been happier.” He said. It was my turn to smile.
And then his cell phone had to go and ring.
“I hate technology.” He said, making a face. He pulled it out and held it in front of him, so I could see the screen too. It was Pete.
“Damn Pete, I’d better take this.” He said. I just nodded and he answered the phone.
“What do you want?” He asked, sounding fed up. Whatever Pete said must have been bad because Ryan looked horrified.
“What, no, oh my god, are you serious?” He said, sitting up. I sat up too and stared at him curiously. He avoided looking at me.
“We’re coming.” Ryan said. My eyes widened, we were going to Chicago, why?
“I don’t care; we have to help you guys!” Ryan said viciously. Pete must have given in.
“I’ll call the others and we’ll see you soon.” Ryan said, hanging up the phone. He looked down at his hands.
“What’s wrong?” I asked worriedly. Slowly Ryan looked up at me.
“We have to go to Chicago, Patrick’s missing.”

*******

One hour later we were all in two cars, on our way to Chicago. In my car there was Brendon and Devin in the front and Ryan, Spencer and I in the back. Everyone decided that it would be safer if I went with the vampires, and besides me, Devin was the most comfortable with the fact that they were bloodsucking creatures of the night.
I was scared; I already knew that everyone suspected that he’d been captured by the evil vampires. They didn’t have to say it, we were all thinking it.
Ryan noticed how worried I was and held my hand, squeezing it reassuringly. If any of the others noticed than they pretended that they didn’t.
There isn’t much that I can say about the drive, it was long and stressful. None of us talked but we were all worried sick. We’d been touring for four months with them now, and excluding that one night in Detroit, Patrick had always been super nice to me. Like that night in Colorado when he bought me hot chocolate.
I fell asleep and when I woke up we were close to Pete’s house. Ten minutes away, to be exact. He was sitting on the front steps when we pulled up.
Brendon was the first one out of the car and without speaking, he ran over and hugged Pete. Pete hugged him back, tears filling his eyes.
“We’d gone out, looking for them, and then he just disappeared.” Pete was saying as we all came over to him. Everyone hugged him and for a second, it really did felt like we were a big family. One really, really messed up, freaky family, but a family none the less.
“We’ll find him, don’t worry, we will!” Ryan said firmly. I only hoped that he was right.