Sequel: Wrists Intact

Hearts Intact

So Hum Hallelujah

It was two days later and there had been no sign of Patrick. Everyone, except me, went out looking for him everyday and night. I was basically trapped inside the house. I wasn’t allowed to go outside unless someone was with me, and no one ever wanted to go outside. They had even given my knife back and I was supposed to keep it on me at all times. I was going insane!
Right now I was lying on the couch in Pete’s basement, humming to myself. There was absolutely nothing to do at his house. I was worried about Patrick of course and I wanted to keep myself occupied so that I wouldn’t think about him. That was nearly impossible here.
“What are you doing?” Brendon asked, coming down the stairs. I shrugged and continued humming.
“Bored?” Ryan asked, coming down behind Brendon, Skylar right beside him. I nodded.
“Do you have any news?” I asked, sitting up. Brendon shook his head again and I lay back down.
“No, but the others, minus us, are going out looking again.” Skylar said. Great, they were my baby-sitters, again. I felt like I was three.
“Well then.” I said. Skylar pushed my feet off the couch so he could sit down. Glaring at him I sat up. Ryan sat next to me while Brendon sat down in a chair.
“I’m bored entertain me!” I said to Skylar. My beloved twin rolled his eyes at me.
“No you entertain me!” He said. I shook my head.
“No, you’re the baby-sitter; you’re supposed to entertain me!” I said. Brendon, Ryan and Skylar all laughed.
“We’re not your baby-sitters!” Brendon said.
“Then what are you?” I asked. He thought for a moment.
“We’re the people who are, uh, watching you.” He said. I rolled my eyes.
“Yeah, my baby-sitters.” I said. This caused them to laugh again.
“I never thought I’d see the day that I’d have to watch you!” Skylar admitted. I glared at him.
“Yeah, it was always the other way around.” I said wistfully. I was always more mature than my idiot of a twin.
“That would’ve been interesting to see, bug-sized Izzye bossing around Skylar the Giant.” Brendon said. Skylar chuckled.
“Nothing’s changed.” He said. I kicked him and he glared at me.
“Well it’s true!” He said. I kicked him again.
“It is not!” I said. Skylar rolled his eyes.
“You are such a liar!” He said. I blushed as Ryan looked at me pointedly.
“I’m not the liar here, who was the one who said I can’t go out without telling him? I do believe that was you bossing me around!” I said. Skylar chose not to answer, which was probably for the best. We were close to having a huge fight.
“You guys are so amusing.” Brendon said, shaking his head. Both Skylar and I glared at him.
“If this couch weren’t so comfortable I would kill you right now.” I muttered, closing my eyes and leaning back. Brendon laughed.
“I seriously doubt that you could.” He said. I opened my eyes and stuck my tongue out at him.
“Ah Izzye, the Queen of all children returns.” Ryan said. Brendon and Skylar laughed.
“My first order as your Queen is that you be beheaded!” I said.
“I’m not one of your subjects, I’m not a child.” Ryan said patiently. I grinned at him.
“That’s questionable.” I said. Brendon and Skylar laughed again while Ryan stuck his tongue out at me.
“It’s a disease; we’re all turning into children!” Brendon said. I laughed.
“It’s a lot more fun to be a child than it is to be an adult!” I said. The others all nodded.
“Yeah-“ Brendon started to say but then he stopped. Both he and Ryan sat up straighter, listening to something.
“Izzye come here.” Ryan hissed. I quickly moved over to him and he put his arms around me protectively, standing up as he did.
“What is it?” Skylar whispered, jumping to his feet. Brendon was silent for a second before answering him.
“There are people in the house.” He whispered. I immediately froze and Ryan’s arms tightened around me. It was deathly silent in the house, and then…
“Give up now, you’re outnumbered!” A guy said in a sing-song voice. We all jumped as a window shattered and a tall, black haired guy came in through it. Both Brendon and Ryan snarled loudly, causing both Skylar and I to cringe in fear.
“Get out of here!” Brendon growled. The guy laughed and took a step towards us.
“Like I said, you’re outnumbered, just give us the girl!” The guy said. Brendon and Ryan both snarled again.
“We have others here, they’re just hiding.” Ryan said. He was bluffing, and the vampire knew it.
“We saw them leave, it’s only you here!” He said. Brendon started to say something but he was interrupted by five more vampires coming down the stairs. Two of them were girls while the other three were guys.
“Just hand over your pretty little girlfriend and we won’t hurt you!” One of the girls, a redhead, said. Brendon glared at her.
“We’re not giving her to you!” He snapped. The redhead smiled.
“Fine then, have it your way!” She said. She glanced at the vampires surrounding her. Moving so fast that they were a blur, two vampires ran over to Brendon, knocking him down. One pinned Skylar to the wall while three managed to force Ryan into letting go of me. All of this happened in a split second.
“Come over here darling!” The redhead said, taking a step towards me. I backed up until I hit the wall. I was trapped.
“Don’t you come any closer!” I warned. The redhead laughed and took another step towards me.
“Don’t!” I said again, this time pulling my knife out of my pocket. The redhead just laughed.
“What are you going to do honey, cut me?” She said, her eyes narrowing.
“Izzye it won’t work, you can’t hurt her!” Ryan said, desperately trying to get free. But the three vampires are much stronger than him.
“I know, but I can hurt myself!” I said, lifting the knife up to my throat. Everyone gasped.
“And why would you do that?” The redhead asked. This time she didn’t take a step forward.
“Izzye don’t!” Skylar cried. I ignored him and stared at the redhead.
“Obviously you want me alive. If I kill myself you can’t have me!” I said. No one said anything so I knew that I was right.
“You wouldn’t want to do that now.” The redhead said softly. I glared at her.
“If you let my friends go then I’ll go with you willingly.” I said. It’s the only thing I can think of that’ll keep Brendon, Ryan and Skylar safe.
“Izzye no!” Ryan cried. I ignored him and the redhead smiled. She took a step towards me.
“Fine, we won’t harm them!” She said.
“And how do I know that you’re telling the truth?” I asked. The redhead thought for a moment.
“You don’t.” She said finally with a shrug. Taking a deep breath I raised the knife up a little bit taller.
“Don’t! If you kill yourself we’ll kill your friends! If you don’t, then we’ll leave them alone!” The redhead said quickly. We’ll then, I guess that settled everything.
“Izzye don’t, don’t you dare let them take you!” Ryan cried. I didn’t look at him, I couldn’t. If I did then I wouldn’t be able to do what I was about to.
“Fine, but you better not hurt them!” I said.
“No!” Brendon, Ryan and Skylar all cried. The redhead laughed.
“We won’t, I give you my word! Now, drop the knife!” She said. Very slowly I placed the knife on the floor. There was nothing I could do now. It was either I kill myself and my friends die, or I go with the vampires and my friends live. Great choices.
“Izzye don’t!” Skylar cried. I ignored him and just tried not to cry.
“Let’s go!” The redhead said. Avoiding looking at Ryan, Brendon and Skylar, I followed her up the stairs and out of the house. There was a sleek black car parked in front.
“Get in!” The redhead said, opening the door. Shaking, I got in. I won’t lie, I was terrified.
The redhead slid in beside me and another vampire, one of the guys, got in the driver’s seat. He pulled the car away from the curb and in seconds the house was gone from view.
“Now, you need to go to sleep!” The redhead said. Her arm moving so fast that it was a blur, she hit me on the head, and everything went black.

*******

When I came to I was in a dark jail cell it looked like. My head was killing me and my vision was blurred. Very slowly I sat up but then it felt like someone ran into me.
“Izzye oh my god Izzye are you okay?” The person was saying as they hugged me. It took me a few seconds to realize that it was Patrick.
“Patrick? Ugh, yeah, I’m fine.” I said slowly. He was squeezing me so hard I could barely breathe. Finally he let me go.
“How did you get here, how are the others?” He asked worriedly. I had to think for a moment, my head was killing me!
“Um, we were all at Pete’s house, because we’re all looking for you. It was only Brendon, Ryan, Skylar and I home and we were all in the basement. Then the evil vampires showed up. I made a deal with them; I’d go with them if they wouldn’t kill Brendon, Ryan and Skylar.” I said slowly. Patrick sighed.
“Great, Izzye, they weren’t supposed to get you, no matter what.” He said. I glared at him.
“What was I supposed to do, let them kill the others?” I cried. Patrick didn’t say anything.
“I couldn’t, I couldn’t let them die!” I snapped. Patrick sighed again and put his arm around me.
“I know, I’m being stupid right now. Forgive me; I’ve been in here for a while.” He said. I nodded.
“How did they get you?” I asked. He hesitated before answering.
“Pete and I had been out searching for them. We’d split up and I’d gone down this alley. Then I got hit in the head and the next thing I remember, I was in here.” He said. I looked around. It really did look like a jail cell.
“What do they want with you?” I asked. He shrugged.
“I don’t know. We’re not even sure what they want with you yet.” He said. Neither of us spoke. I was terrified, what could the vampires want with me? Were they going to kill me? Or turn me?