Sequel: Wrists Intact

Hearts Intact

And You Pull My Head So Close

Our first show with Rae was amazingly uneventful. I’d started to expect everything to involve surprises and some form of life-threatening activity. It was a nice relief to just play music and forget about everything for a while. Rae did pretty well too, she’d learned all the songs quickly.
We were currently in Toronto, my first time in the city. I can’t say I was impressed, I like Calgary much better.
The only good thing about being back on tour was playing, everything else sucked. Jimmy rarely talked to me and was always by himself, acting suspiciously. He kept acting like he was hiding something, but I didn’t know what.
Devin basically avoided me and spent all his time hanging out with Joe and Andy. The three of them had become pretty good friends.
I didn’t really talk to Rae much, until she came up to me after a show one day.
“Izzye, I know I should probably ask Pete this, but I was wondering if you could tell me what all the others’ powers are.” She said shyly. She rarely ever talked to Pete, and he never talked to her. I’m not really sure why.
“Sure, I don’t mind.” I said, turning to look at her. I was sitting outside, looking up at the stars. Skylar and I used to do that a lot.
“Pete can read minds, Brendon can see the future, Ryan can control emotions and Spencer can see relationships.” I said. Rae started to say something but then she interrupted herself.
“Wait, what, Spencer can see relationships?” She asked. I nodded.
“Yup, there’s no keeping a crush a secret from him.” I said. Rae looked absolutely horrified.
“Hey, you like someone!” I said, jumping to my feet. I swear, if Rae could’ve she would’ve blushed.
“No, no I don’t!” She muttered, looking away from me. I grinned.
“Come on, you can tell me, who do you like?” I asked. Rae didn’t answer; she just slowly started inching away from me.
“Your secret will be safe with me! Pete can’t read my mind, though he probably already knows.” I said. I wasn’t making Rae feel any better by the looks of it.
“Oh God, I am leaving and never coming back!” She said.
“Come don’t do that! It’s not that bad, now who do you like?” I asked. Nervously Rae looked around.
“Fine but if you tell anyone I swear to God I will kill you!” She said. I saluted her.
“Don’t worry captain, I won’t tell a soul!” I said. Rae gave me a funny look and then leaned in to whisper.
“Spencer.” She said. I grinned at her.
“Then you might be in luck, I think he likes you back!” I said. Rae was staring at me, her eyes wide.
“Yeah right!” She said, shaking her head.
“It’s true, I never got around to telling you, but that letter I got was from Ryan, and Spencer said to say hi to you!” I said. Rae looked at me in disbelief.
“You’re lying!” She said. I shook my head and pulled the letter out of my pocket. Yeah, I’m lame like that.
“Nope, see right there!” I said. I swear to God I’ve never seen anyone look happier.
“Wow, you’ve just made my day!” She said, hugging me. Nice, not everyday you get hugged by a vampire. Vampire, I still have trouble believing it sometimes.

*******

“Izzye, you’ve got another letter!” Devin said, coming onto the bus. I just stared at him.
“Well do you want it?” He asked. I nodded slowly and he handed it to me. He didn’t really tease me anymore, I kind of missed it.
Devin left the bus so that I could open it alone. And that is exactly why I’m still friends with that kid, no matter how much he annoys me. The letter was from Ryan again.


Hey Izzye!
It’s me again, obviously. We moved, we’re not where we were before. Jon and Brendon were going insane from the cold. It’s warmer here, but still not quite as warm as I’d like it. I guess this is what I get for growing up in the desert!
I hope you’re doing okay. I heard about Rae joining the band, that’s good, she’s not that bad at guitar.
I’m going insane here, it’s so boring! By the time we finally get home I’m going to have enough material for us to put out six more records! There is seriously nothing to do here but write, write and write some more. Jon and Brendon have taken up playing soccer with a golf ball, I should probably take them to see a doctor…

Brendon here and I am NOT crazy! Seriously, playing soccer with a golf ball is a great way to get better at soccer! Ryan’s just jealous of my wicked awesome skills! He wishes he could be this good!
Okay, now that I’ve managed to steal this away from Brendon… I had to run into another room and am now currently leaning against the door, trying to keep him from coming in. Seriously Izzye, you’re so popular! Anytime I mention that I’m going to write to you all the guys want to write something!
Or it could be that you’re our only connection with the outside world! Just kidding, we love you! But seriously, we don’t get to see anyone, and Jon is looking might appetizing right now.
I do not! Okay Izzye, if you don’t see me alive again, please kill Spencer for me, it’ll be his fault! And it’s not even like they eat people or anything, he’s just being annoying!
I am not! Besides, I’m allowed to be annoying, we’ve been here for how many days now? Oops, sorry Izzye, I forgot I was writing to you and not talking to Jon!
Wow, now I’m writing this from underneath a bed, trying to hide from all of them. Seriously, I’m not telling them when I’m writing to you anymore, I never actually get to say anything to you!
Damn right you don’t! We have more important things to say! Anyway, we’re going to go make Ryan play soccer with us so see you later Izzye! We love you! And everyone you’re with, unless we don’t love them, then we don’t love them.

Brendon, Ryan, Jon and Spencer

And you know you like me the best!


I can’t say that the letter made me feel any better. If anything, the letter made me feel even more depressed. I still didn’t know where they were. Why wouldn’t they tell me? Why was their location some big secret that they had to keep from me? Were they afraid that someone was going to read the letters before I did?