Sequel: Wrists Intact

Hearts Intact

Me With Such Wit

Several months went by and not much happened. Rae and Spencer were an official couple and we played a few shows. It was a bit boring to be honest. I’d become all used to conflict and disaster, going a few months with nothing was incredibly boring. I didn’t speak to Jimmy but Sheila called me to apologize on behalf of her brother and let me know that she’s ashamed of what he did. But other than that, nothing happened. That’s why I was a little bit surprised when Ryan came into our motor home at three am.
“What are you doing?” I asked with a yawn, sitting up. Devin yawned loudly and both of us stared at Ryan expectantly. He looked nervous, which made me scared.
“We have to get out of here, now!” He said. Devin and I didn’t argue, we got out of our beds as quickly as possible and slipped our shoes on. Ryan opened the door and then he slammed it shut, looking terrified.
“Shit, shit, SHIT!” He cursed, getting louder and louder. He leaned against the door, as if trying to keep something out.
“What’s going on?” Devin asked. Ryan was silent for almost a full minute. Finally he breathed in deeply.
“Rae, Rae betrayed us. She’s working for the evil vampires. She was just using us to get information for us, and she sold us out.” He said slowly. I just stared at him, I didn’t believe it. Rae was my best friend, best friends don’t do things like that! Ignoring the whole, Jimmy beating me thing.
“You’re lying!” I said finally. Ryan looked exhausted as he shook his head.
“I’m not Izzye, they’re here. We’re surrounded.” He said. Just the way he said it made me realize that he wasn’t lying. And I understood what he wasn’t saying. We were all going to die. There was no way out of this. This was it.
“Where are the others?” Devin asked. He sounded terrified. Amazingly I wasn’t terrified. I think I was in too much shock to be scared.
“The vampires have them.” Ryan said. “I don’t know where they took them.”
“Are the vampires outside?” I asked. Ryan nodded.
“They’re just waiting for us to come outside.” He said. The words were just out of his mouth when something rammed into the motor home, causing both Devin and I to fall.
“Looks like they’re tired of waiting.” Devin said, his face going white. I still wasn’t scared and I think that he was so scared he was calm.
We didn’t get a chance to reply because the window shattered and in a second two vampires were standing in front of us. In a flash Ryan was in front of Devin and I, pushing us backwards.
“Give it up we outnumber you!” One of the vampires snarled. Ryan snarled back, still pushing Devin and I backwards.
“Just leave us alone!” Ryan said. Both of the vampires laughed.
“No way! Your little friend there got away from us last time, but she won’t this time!” One of them said, narrowing his eyes as he glared at me. I shivered.
“What do you want with her?” Devin asked, putting his arms around me. One of the vampires, the taller one, threw back his head and laughed.
“This isn’t like some movie where we tell you our plans human! Guess you’ll just have to wait and see what happens!” He said, his lips curling into a cruel smile.
“Leave them out of this! They’re just two humans; they have nothing to do with our fight.” Ryan said, his voice dropping down to a whisper. The two Immortals laughed.
“To the contrary brother, they have everything to do with it. At least the girl does.” The shorter one said, eyeing me as if I were a piece of meat. I shivered again.
“Just let them go, you don’t have to harm them.” Ryan begged. The taller vampire laughed again, this time taking a step towards us.
“You’re begging for the life of a human? Have you lost all of your dignity brother? She’s already taking your power from you!” He said. Devin, Ryan and I couldn’t mask our confusion.
“What are you talking about?” Ryan snapped, getting angrier and angrier. The taller Immortal smiled.
“You haven’t figured it out yet? Hanging around with the humans have made you stupider than I thought possible.” He said. At this Ryan snarled, causing both Devin and I to tremble.
“Enough of this now, just hand over the girl and we’ll let you and the boy live!” The shorter Immortal growled. Ryan shook his head, glaring at the two Immortals.
“Fine, if you want to be like that.” The shorter Immortal said, sounding bored. He lunged forward, and as he did, Devin dropped down to the floor and rolled, taking me with him. Both Immortals were preoccupied with Ryan and didn’t notice Devin and I bolt out of the trailer. I didn’t want to leave Ryan, but Devin had a death grip on my hand and dragged me away from the trailer.
“Izzye stop it, we have to get away from here!” Devin yelled as he pulled me. I fought him, trying to get back to Ryan.
“We can’t leave Ryan, they’ll kill him! We can’t let them kill him!” I cried, my eyes filling with tears. Devin stopped running and turned to face me.
“Izzye listen to me. I know you love Ryan but getting yourself killed isn’t going to help him. If he dies it’ll be protecting you, and you can’t let that be in vain.” He said. His words didn’t even have a chance to sink in before we were running again. The only thing running through my mind was that Ryan could not die. I couldn’t lose him, I’d already lost Skylar and Jimmy, I couldn’t bear to lose Ryan as well.
I didn’t even know where we were when we finally stopped running. Devin was out of breath but I was numb. I was still crying but I didn’t care. Devin sat down and had his head in his hands. From the way he was shaking I knew that he was crying as well.
“What’s wrong with me?” I whispered. Devin looked up at me and there were indeed tears in his muddy brown eyes.
“Nothing, there is nothing wrong with you.” He said firmly but his eyes gave away the truth. There was something wrong with me and we both knew it.
“I’m the reason everyone is going to die.” I whispered. Devin didn’t answer because he knew that it was true.
“I should’ve jumped off the cliff when I had the chance. Then none of this would’ve happened!” I said, fresh tears spilling down my cheeks. Devin stood up and slapped me. I just stared at him in surprise.
“Don’t you ever, ever say that ever again!” He said, unable to hold back his tears.
“I don’t know what I’d do if you died! It’s only you and I now Izzye, I need you! You’re the only one left that I care about!” Devin said. Instead of speaking I hugged him.
“I love how easily you’ve forgotten about me.” The voice made both of us jump and turn, gasping as we did. We both knew that voice, but we’d thought that we would never hear it again.
“Skylar!”