Sequel: Wrists Intact

Hearts Intact

Without A Conscience Equipped

“At least you still remember my name.” Skylar said. It was really him, standing only ten feet away. Tall, dark hair, extremely pale, but it was him. A sunglasses wearing him, but him nonetheless. Devin and I could only stare at him, not believing our eyes.
“So you can’t even say hello to your twin?” He asked coldly. I tried to say something but nothing came out. I couldn’t believe it.
“B-but you’re dead.” Devin stuttered. Skylar smiled and I flinched. Something was wrong, this wasn’t the Skylar I remembered.
“Apparently not, but I love how easily you all believed it.” He said. That snapped me out of my disbelief.
“We all saw your body. We went to your funeral.” I said quietly. Skylar glared at me.
“You’re stupider than I remember.” He said. I didn’t reply.
“Did you forget Rae’s power? She can enhance or erase memories! She made you all think that you saw me dead and saw my body at the funeral when in reality you didn’t.” He said. I couldn’t speak. I couldn’t believe that Rae would do that to us. We’d taken her in and she’d betrayed us, she’d taken my twin from me! She’d basically taken Jimmy from me as well! The accident ruined him, which ruined our friendship.
“What’s wrong with you?” Devin whispered. Skylar laughed and stared at him.
“Nothing, there’s nothing wrong with me! You should be asking yourself that question! You two forgot all about me! And what about Jimmy? You both abandoned him when he needed you most! Shows what kind of friends you guys are!” He snarled, the words cutting deep. Had we abandoned Jimmy? Neither of us had spoken to him in months, we’d completely deserted him. Skylar was right, we were horrible friends.
“We didn’t forget about you!” Devin whispered. Skylar laughed again.
“You spent no time grieving! Don’t think that I don’t know! I know everything that’s gone on, every single dark little detail!” He said, looking over at me. His words made my blood boil.
“You say that we didn’t care about you but you were alive this entire time and didn’t let us know? We missed you so much, we cried for you, we could barely survive without you and yet you pretended to be dead?! And what about when I was going to throw myself off that cliff? Did you care about us then? I’ve never forgotten about you Skylar, I think about you everyday! But can you say the same thing for yourself?” I asked, tears streaming down my face. For a second Skylar looked like his old self, but then his cold, hard look returned.
“You weren’t going to throw yourself off that cliff because of me, so why should I care?” He asked. It was as if he had slapped me.
“Because I’m your sister. I’m your family.” I whispered. He laughed.
“Not anymore.” He said. And with that he took off the sunglasses. Both Devin and I gasped. His eyes were bright red, like Rae’s.
“You’re a-a…” Devin stuttered, unable to finish. Skylar nodded.
“I’m one of them now.” He said. He stared at us, as if expecting us to run in fear, but neither Devin nor I moved. We couldn’t believe it.
“Why didn’t you come back?” I whispered. My question seemed to catch him off guard.
“Why? Would you guys have believed me if I’d come back? I was dead to you guys!” He said.
“You were never dead to us.” Devin whispered. This brought tears to Skylar’s eyes. But just as quickly as they appeared they were gone.
“They told me you would do this; tell me lies so that I wouldn’t hurt you! Well I’m not going to fall for it!” He snapped.
“We’re not lying Skylar!” Devin and I said in unison. Skylar acted as though he hadn’t heard us.
“We’ve been here too long, it’s time to go!” He said. Devin started to say something but then he stopped, screaming instead. I jumped back as he grabbed his head and fell to his knees, still screaming in pain.
“What are you doing to him?” I cried. Skylar didn’t answer me and in a second I felt a searing pain in my head. Unlike Devin I didn’t scream, but I still fell to my knees. Then everything went black.

*******

When I woke up I was alone in a small, dark room. I was on the floor; there was no furniture in the room whatsoever. Actually there was nothing in the room except for me.
I’d only been awake for a few minutes when the door opened and in walked Skylar. I didn’t say anything, I just glared at him.
“Don’t act like that, you knew this was coming.” Skylar said, sitting down in front of me. What he said was completely wrong so I decided not to answer.
“Come on don’t be like that!” He said. I glared at him.
“Why am I here?” I asked. Skylar grinned.
“They want to turn you.” He said. I froze; turn me, as in turn me into a vampire? I can’t be a vampire! I enjoy the whole breathing aspect of life!
“Well tell them to go to hell!” I growled. Skylar laughed, his cruel brown eyes sparkling.
“They don’t care about what you want.” Skylar said, his voice dropping down to a whisper. I resisted the urge to look away and stared him in the eye, praying that I didn’t look as scared as I felt.
“Why?” I asked. Skylar stared at me as if I was stupid.
“Because you’re nothing more than a human!” He started but I interrupted him.
“I mean, why do they want to turn me?” I asked with a glare. At this Skylar laughed.
“Because you’re different, they’ve never seen anyone like you. Even I am not as special as you are! None of their powers work on you, except for mine.” He added, sounding proud. And Spencer’s, I thought to myself.
“Then I’d say that’s a good reason to leave me alone.” I said dryly. Skylar laughed again.
“You don’t get it do you Izzye? Well if I was you I’d enjoy tonight, because it’s going to be your last one as a mortal.”