1,000 Lies Told At 40,000 Feet High

Chapter 10

“Wait, which pedal is the brake again?” I asked from my seat in the small go-kart. Oscar chucked and shook his head before bending down to my height. He was looking pretty darn hot in a pair of jeans and a tight fitting red t-shirt that showed off his arm muscles. Not that I had been looking or anything. His friends didn’t disappoint either. I was the only girl who had come with Oscar and his friends but I tried to see it as a positive, it gave me more of a chance to get to know Oscar’s friends. Fortunately, it wasn’t too awkward and Oscar seemed a little protective of me, making sure that the others were keeping their eyes up and looking at my face.

“This one is the accelerator and this one is the brake,” Oscar said as he lent across me and lightly pushed down my feet on the pedals.
“Right, go, stop,” I said as I repeated what Oscar had done.
“You’ll be fine, I promise. I’ll make sure that none of the guys crash into you.” Could he be any more sweet?!?

“Okay, let’s do this thing,” I said and gripped my hands tighter on the wheel. The others finally all got into their go-karts and we all drove up to the start line.

***
The street was surprisingly empty for a Saturday afternoon as Oscar, his friends and I walked around trying to find somewhere to eat. There was 80’s music drifting from a store down the road and Oscar’s friends were arguing over who had won.

“So Dan, how does it feel to lose to a girl?” Oscar teased. Dan turned to Oscar and glared at him as Oscar’s friends, who I had now learned were called Tom and Robbie, snickered. I rolled my eyes, it had been a complete fluke that I hadn’t come last.
“There was a problem with my steering and brakes. If I had had a different go-kart, I would have beat you all,” Dan finally replied as he continued to glare ahead.
“Yeah, sure, it was the go-karts fault,” Tom said overly sarcastically and winked as he nudged Robbie in the side.
“Oi!” Dan yelled as he shoved Tom, “it wasn’t my fault!”

“What about that cafe?” I asked as we passed a small place called ‘Cafe Violet’.
“Eh, sure, that’ll do,” replied Robbie as we made our way in. As we walked in, the aroma of coffee and white bread clouded around me. We found a table in the corner of the cafe and all sat down. The boys started to look at the menu and order drinks but all I could concentrate on was how close Oscar was sitting to me and how his leg was lightly brushing against mine.

I finally managed to order –a chicken and avocado salad on white bread and a glass of water- and I was listening to Tom recount a story of how his French class managed to lock their teacher out of their classroom when Oscar slowly reached across and placed his hand in my hand on my lap. Oh God, there was no way that Oscar and I were ‘just friends’ now. Shit! How was I supposed to react?

I slowly looked across at Oscar and he was looking at me with an expectant smile on his face. I smiled and nodded my head slightly to show that it was okay before squeezing his hand- gestures that only Oscar would have noticed- before turning back and joining into the conversation at the table again.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am so so sorry that it has been close to a month since I last updated, things have been a little insane for me recently and I had terrible writers block when attempting to write this chapter. But I promise that I'll get another one out soon. Thanks to everyone who has stuck with the story, I love you all :)
xx