Status: Practically completed.

Asked to Compromise

Twenty-Three

“Priscilla, I’m very impressed with your behavior this past month,” Sanders said when I sat down in front of his desk. “I see that you’ve been trying and Mr. Haner told me he had a talk with you. Whatever it was you told him, I’m happy to see you’re doing better.”

I gave him a nod, remaining silent. I watched him pull out his desk drawer, pulling a folder out. The folder had my name on it.

“You pulled your grades up,” He opened the folder. “You’ve been turning in all assignments on time. Keep it up and you’ll raise your gpa.”

“I will,” I assured him.

“Good,” He closed the folder and pushed it toward me. “I spoke to your parents.”

“You did?” I asked surprised.

He nodded, “I told them that you’ll be able to visit them for Christmas.”

“Seriously?” I asked him shocked.

“Seriously,” He smiled, showing his deep dimples. “Open the folder.”

I quickly flipped open the flap of the manila folder, looking down at a ticket- a plane ticket. The flight was dated for December 20th. It was just about a week away and I could go home. Not for good, but I would finally be out of here for a little while.

I deserved the break from that place. The talk with Haner opened my eyes to things that didn’t matter and things that did matter. Things that happened in the past don’t matter today. What mattered was that I needed to get my act together before I became something I didn’t want to be, someone completely out of my element. I decided to change. Change came hard but quick as I tried to straighten myself out.

Stepping from the terminal into O’Hare Airport, I looked around for my parents. The crowd definitely didn’t help either. There were too many people in black coats and hats and scarves. It had to have been cold outside, and I didn’t pack a single warm article of clothing in my suitcase. It was warm here when I left and now that I’d returned the season changed, and it seemed like everything was different.

“Mom! Dad!” I shouted once I spotted them. I waved to them to catch their attention and took off running towards them.

“My baby,” Mom cooed, embracing me tightly.

My face was pressed against her chest, I wrinkled nose at her strong signature scent of Miss Dior. She smelled the same and now I realized how much I missed her. She murmured words in Italian like she always does.

“Giana, she’s my girl too,” Dad said.

Mom passed me to him and I hugged him tightly too, his wool coat rubbing against my cheek. He, too, smelled like strong cologne.

“I’m so glad you’re here, Priscilla,” He kissed the hair on the top of my head.

“Me too,” I nodded, looking up at him.

Mom looked so emotional, like I’d been gone for years when in reality, it was almost four months. She kept her hand on my shoulder as we left the terminal to get to the baggage claim area.
Stepping into the parking lot of the airport, I was glad they had thought to bring me a scarf and a heavy coat. Crystals fell from the sky, turning into fluffy, white snow on the pavement. The snow crunched under my sneakers and I pulled my jacket closer to my body as we made our way to the car.

Dad put my small suitcase into the trunk. I didn’t bring much since most of my stuff was still at home. It was also practically two different seasons from here to California. I jumped into the backseat, shivering. I wasn’t sure if I missed the cold winter air or not. It was usually in the fifty to sixty degree range back in California.

Dad started the car and cranked the heat, backing out of the parking space. The radio hummed the soft songs of Christmas as he drove to our home in the Chicago suburbs.
♠ ♠ ♠
So that last chapter, I broke over 200 subscribers! I'm currently at 204 (hopefully & counting...)! Thank you to each and everyone of you that commented and subscribed!

This was a short chapter. I wrote this in class today. I wanted to paint a nice little picture with this one. Only a few more chapters left...

-Raylynn