Perfectly Dysfunctional

Four

Two days later I pulled up across the street from Dave's work five minutes before his shift was due to end. I killed the engine and threw my bag under the seat of the car, locking it as I crossed the street into the store. I smiled at him as I opened the door and he mouthed ‘five minutes’, so I took it upon myself to check out the other half of the store that I didn't get a chance to look at yesterday. And, sure enough, five minutes later I felt a jab in my side and turned to see Dave putting on his hat and making his way over to the door.

“Are we gonna go, then? I’m off, see you tomorrow!” he called in the general direction of the cash desk before holding the door open in a goofy fashion, waiting for me to walk through first.

“Why thank you,”

“You’re welcome. Which one’s yours?” he asked as we crossed the street and stopped by my car.

“This one,” I said and opened my door, “Well come on then.”

“Sorry,” he laughed as he buckled up and I pulled away, “No, you should’ve taken a right back there!”

“This is going to be a long ride, isn’t it?”

We made it to the venue and back and when I dropped him off he wished me to have a good time at the gig. I got lost on the way home but made it back eventually. Another two days later I yelled to my dad that I was going to a gig and wouldn’t be back until much later, then left the house with my ticket, keys, camera and some money for merch so I could buy Emma something too. I was pretty stoked for this gig, so I decided to join the queue about half an hour early. I mean, if it was anything like what it was like in Scotland there’d be hoards of girls there already, but I wasn’t aiming to get to the front like a lot of these girls, I was aiming to just enjoy myself. I spent the whole time in the queue texting Emma, who’d found out about the gig when I text her after I bought the ticket. Turns out she was raging that she couldn’t be there, gutted that I now lived where The Wanted lived, but really happy that I was ready to enjoy myself. That was something I could live with.

I got in and bought a t-shirt, throwing it on over the shoe-string strap top I had on and two wrist bands, putting one on and pocketing the other. During their support act - a band I didn't catch the name of - I went to the bar and got myself a drink of water, well aware that the legal alcohol-drinking age didn’t change down here, but I thought it would be good if I didn’t get drunk alone. I took a couple of pictures from the bar, but when The Wanted came on I made my way closer to the stage and took a couple of videos. At some points I did find it a little stupid to be there alone, and I was constantly reminded of Emma back at home who hated me for this but who - if she was here - would have damaged some ribs in order to get to the front. But then I reminded myself that I was happy here and this was what I wanted - and that if it wasn’t for this I’d be sitting at home with my dad listening to them. It’s an easy decision when the options are laid out to you like that. Listen to a CD or watch them perform the songs from said CD in the same room as you.

After Lose My Mind, I was beaming because both Siva and Max had smiled and waved at me - and I’d caught it on video - but I was also thirsty again, so went to the bar and got more water. It was there I spotted a familiar face and made my way over.

“Dave? I thought you hated The Wanted...” I narrowed my eyes suspiciously.

“I do,” he said flatly then shook his head and his normal grin was back again, “My dad’s my boss, he gave me the last ticket - took them out of his own wages, so I couldn’t exactly refuse, could I?”

“I guess so. That’s not a bad wee set up you’ve got at work, is it? Exploiting your boss and your dad?”

He laughed, “Nope, it’s pretty sweet, actually, especially cos he owns a pub too, and I help out there, sometimes; free food and drink, right? So, are you enjoying it?”

I beamed, “Of course I am; Siva and Max waved at me!” He rolled his eyes but smiled. “Are you alright? You seem really edgy,” I frowned.

“No, no, I’m fine.”

“Okay, if you’re sure. Can you do me a favour?” I smiled at him sweetly and he raised his eyebrows in a way that said ‘what?’ “After the gig, can you come with me so I can meet them? I told my friend I’d try it out.”

He laughed loudly, “You're unbelievable! But yes, I don’t see why not.”

“Great, that means you can take the picture if it comes to it, cos I won’t be able to do it,” I said and held out my hand so he could see it shaking.

“You really get into these gigs, don't you?”

“I really, really do. If my friend was here, we’d be pressed against that freakin’ barrier!”
♠ ♠ ♠
First of two adds. I'm going to tend to 'The Inbetween' first then I'll come back to this ;) Enjoy! :)