Status: In the process of writing

Endlessly

04

“Harry,” Nicole called the next night. She hadn’t seen much of him other than when they were in class which was a time when they couldn’t talk. He was just walking into dinner looking disgruntled and tired. Harry turned at Nicole’s voice and he looked at her dully as she approached. “How are you?” she asked concerned.

“Fine,” Harry replied waving her off.

“How’s detention with Umbridge? What do you have to do?”

“Just lines,” Harry said and looked towards the Gryffindor table.

“Well, I hope she isn’t too hard on you. Goodnight,” Nicole said before moving towards her own Slytherin table.

Image
The next time Nicole was able to catch a break was on Saturday. Finally the weekend had arrived and she could slow her pace down. She dressed in white skinny jeans, and a black tank top under a green crop top. She also wore black converse going for comfort over the heels she knew some of the girls would wear. Nicole trailed down to the common room and looked at the notice board seeing if there was anything up today that she would be interested in.

The only thing that caught her eye was the notice for a Slytherin tryout a bit later in the morning. Nicole found it odd that this would be the thing because she never had any interest in Quidditch before. Sure she could fly. Most wizards that grew up in wizarding families could. The question was how well could she fly. Well enough to play Quidditch?

She shook her head trying to clear out the thought. It was completely absurd. Nicole felt the piece of parchment she had placed in her back pocket. It was a letter to her father explaining how things were going. She had made an agreement with them that at the end of every week she would write them about what had gone on in her days. Nicole quickly turned and walked off to the Owlery.

In her head she went over the letter’s contents. It stated how she was adjusting to the work load again. She was doing well in her classes so far, especially potions. And she was starting to make a few new friends or at least talking to others at least. At first her parents had wondered why Nicole hadn’t made any friends and worried about her. They were afraid she’d be upset by it but in truth, Nicole was most often content to be alone. They’d be happy to know she was getting to know people.

Nicole was sure that doing this every week, she’d be in great shape. It was a long trek from the dungeons. Nicole walked into the Owlery and some of the owls hooted and looked at her while others paid no attention and continued to sleep peacefully. Her eyes fell on Harry though in an instant. He had also found her the moment she opened the door. “Hi,” said Harry.

“Hello, Harry,” Nicole said smiling slightly. “I didn’t expect anyone to be here this early. I’m just sending a letter to my father.” She strode over to one of the school owls and attached the parchment to it. Taking it to the window near Harry she let it take off.

“You don’t have your own owl?” he asked curiously.

“No,” said Nicole shaking her head. “I’ve never had a pet actually.” Just then the door opened again and in walked Cho Chang. Her eyes shifted between us nervously.

“Hi,” said Harry reflexively.

“Oh…hi,” Cho said breathlessly. “I didn’t think anyone would be up here this early…I only remembered five minutes ago, it’s my mum’s birthday.” She held up the parcel in her hand as explanation.

“Right,” said Harry simply staring at her like a deer in headlights.

“Well, Harry, it was nice seeing you again,” Nicole said while Cho turned to look for a suitable owl.

“You too,” said Harry as well although she could tell his mind wasn’t really on her. Especially by the way his eyes shifted over to Cho.

“And remember, if you ever want help on assignments, I’ll probably be in the library.” He nodded and then Nicole strode out of the room tempted to slam the door behind her. Cho Chang just had to walk in at that moment. A lot of guys found her attractive and Nicole just couldn’t see it although she had nothing against the girl.

An idea started to form in Nicole’s head as she traveled down to breakfast. Maybe she should try out for Quidditch. It would certainly give her more time around Harry in a way. Maybe some friendly competition would be good. But as Nicole sat down she knew the idea was ridiculous. There was no way she would ever make it on the team. The most she ever did was play some backyard Quidditch with some neighbors when she was much younger. She did not want to make a fool of herself.

But as she was eating breakfast she could hear some of the others talking about going to tryouts. Apparently they needed new beaters which Nicole knew she could never be. But they also needed a chaser. That was a possibility. But it was ridiculous, right? There’d be no point to it.

But sure enough Nicole found herself on the Quidditch field with a queasy stomach. She got strange looks as she waited for her turn. And soon enough when her turn came, she was sure she did completely horrible. She could feel the embarrassment coursing through her and luckily the weather was cool enough that the blush didn’t show strongly on her cheeks.

When it was announced who would make it, unsurprisingly Nicole wasn’t one of them. She quickly turned and walked off, putting the broom back in the closet. Nicole consoled herself with the thought that maybe if she had her own broom she would have been a bit better. In the locker room Nicole took off the clothes that were a bit muddy. She also began to switch shoes, from her boots back to her sneakers.

As Nicole was tying her laces the actual team walked into the room, paying little attention to her. They were laughing and talking amongst each other. “What do you say we stick around for a bit longer?” she heard Malfoy say. “I’m sure Weasley is going to make a fool of himself.”

Crabbe and Goyle agreed and laughed simply because Malfoy said it. Nicole found it quite ridiculous how much they worshipped him. “Would you care to join us?” Malfoy asked her just expecting an agreement. “You can see you aren’t the only one who can’t play Quidditch.”

“No,” said Nicole with a sharp edge to her voice. She stood up quickly, ready to leave.

“Right. I forgot they’re your friends now,” said Malfoy with disgust.

“I don’t have friends,” Nicole said back bothered more that he had gotten to her than what he was actually saying.

“You sure about that?” he asked.

“Me?” Nicole wondered out loud. Yet she still took his extended hand while getting to her feet. She followed him to the dance floor. It wasn’t until they had begun to dance that he answered her question.

“Why wouldn’t I pick you?” he asked with a charming smile.

“It’s odd getting noticed. Usually nobody notices me.” The admittance made her blush and look away.

“You sure about that?” he asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Quite. Nobody pays attention to me.” Her eyes cut back to his and she bit her bottom lip gently.

“I think it’s you who doesn’t pay attention,” he said with smile that erased whatever other thoughts that had been going through her mind.


“Quite,” Nicole said wondering if he was thinking of the same thing she had. She didn’t stick around to find out though and simply strode out of the room. Going back to the common room she grabbed the books she’d need for her homework and trailed up to the library. When she walked in she inhaled deeply at the familiar, comforting scent before she sat at one of the tables to get to work.

As she opened up her first book someone cleared their throat on the opposite side of the table. Glancing up Nicole saw Hermione standing there a bit awkwardly. “Do you mind if I sit here?” she asked shyly.

“No, it’s not a problem,” Nicole said biting her lip. She wasn’t quite sure what to make of it and found herself watching Hermione curiously. As the other girl sat in the chair and sat her bag full of books on the table, she looked over at Nicole.

“I hope I’m not bothering you,” she said looking at Nicole just as curiously. If anybody were to pass by it would be quite obvious to see the two girls studying each other.

“It’s not that,” Nicole assured her. “I’m just surprised you’d sit with me in the first place.”

“Well, I figure that we should heed the sorting hat’s warning about coming together.” Nicole grew a puzzled expression and studied Hermione’s face for any signs of insincerity. In finding none she let it drop but still thought it weird that she would use the same words she told Harry. “What are you working on?”

“Transfiguration essay,” Nicole replied turning to the correct page in the book.

“Okay, we’ll start there,” said Hermione with a smile.

As they walked out of the library Hermione and Nicole parted ways with a wave. Both girls had enjoyed studying with someone who could keep up. Nicole was stuck with the Slytherins who would rather have her do all the work and Hermione had Ron and Harry who tried, but not very successfully. As the girls left they parted on good terms and happy smiles. They had both had a good time studying and doing their work. It was what they were best at and what they knew how to do well.

Image
On Sunday Nicole spent most of her time in the library yet again. This time it was Harry who suddenly appeared at her table. Giving him a smile Nicole asked, “What brings you here?”

“I figured I would take you up on your offer of helping me. Plus Ron and Hermione keep arguing.” He made a face before sitting down across from her.

“What would you like help with?” she asked with a bright and cheery expression.

“Now I see why you got along with Hermione,” he said with an amused smile. “I was thinking of doing Professor McGonagall’s essay.”

“Perfect,” said Nicole with a smile. And as Harry wrote his essay she directed him to pages in the book.

“You should have told me you already wrote your essay,” Harry said as he was writing his last few paragraphs. “I wouldn’t have asked you to help.”

“It’s quite alright. All my work is done, I don’t have much play.” Nicole smiles despite realizing that most would probably find that sad. But Nicole liked to work. She enjoyed having a schedule and getting things done. Playing wasn’t much fun by yourself anyways.

“I think I’ll do Professor Sinistra’s essay next,” Harry said pulling out another piece of parchment. As Harry reached for his book his eyes became caught on something else. An unpleasant expression came over his features and curiously, Nicole turned to see what had caught his attention. Looking over, Nicole spotted Draco Malfoy strolling among the bookshelves. At the time she saw him, his grey eyes turned towards them. His expression quickly came to match Harry’s. “What’s he doing here?” Harry asked angrily.

“Well, it is the library,” Nicole stated whilst turning away from Malfoy, “although I highly doubt that’s his motive for coming here.” She placed the book Harry needed in front of him, calling his attention back to her.

“Look what we have here,” came Malfoy’s drawl as he sauntered up to their table. “You two seem to be getting quite cozy with each other.”

“Shove off, Malfoy,” Harry said angrily.

“Watch your tongue, Potter,” said Malfoy with a distasteful curl of his lip. “That’s no way to speak to a Prefect.” He came up and placed a hand on the back of Nicole’s chair. With a reproachful look she shifted away from it.

“Curfew is in a few minutes, children,” Madam Pince said to us as she walked by. She didn’t seem to take any notice to the brewing tension. Looking around the library Nicole saw that many of the other students were already on their way out the door.

“We better get going,” Nicole said to Harry. “I’ll see you tomorrow in Potions.”

“Yeah,” said Harry with a frown.

“I hope we can do this again,” Nicole said with a smile.

“Yeah,” Harry repeated with an unsure smile. Nicole turned away and walked off towards the door. Her smile fell and she grew worried. She felt like she was pushing herself on him. She bit her lip when suddenly Draco appeared beside her.

“What are you doing?” she asked him a bit harshly.

“Walking with you back to the dorms. It’s almost curfew, you know.” The superior way in which he said it grated on Nicole’s nerves. He acted like it had been his realization.

“I can walk fine on my own, thanks,” Nicole said with a look that told him to get lost. Malfoy simply ignored it and remained by her side. She was thankful that he was at least being silent. But of course, that jinxed it.

“What made you try out for Quidditch, Kendrell?” Malfoy asked curiously. A blush quickly began to form on Nicole’s cheeks.

“Nothing,” she said quickly. “It was a stupid decision anyway.”

“You weren’t that terrible. After seeing Weasley play you don’t seem that bad.”

“I doubt he’s that dreadful,” Nicole said shrugging off the comment. “He made the team.”

“Because Gryffindors are all pansies and don’t have anyone good in the first place,” said Malfoy like I had asked him what color grass was. “We’re bound to beat them this year.”

“Congratulations on your expected victory,” Nicole responded sarcastically. They were now nearing the dungeon and none of the other students were in sight. Nicole’s skin began to crawl at the thought that she was alone with Malfoy. It’s not that she didn’t trust him, she just didn’t particularly like him.

“Why are you siding with them?” Malfoy asked harshly.

“I’m not siding with anyone,” Nicole retaliated. “You’re just being mean and I’m not going to be a part of that.” Nicole said the password to the Slytherin common rooms. A few of her classmates were still occupying the chairs, going over some last minute readings. In one chair sat Blaise Zabini who looked up upon their entrance.

“What were you two doing together?” he asked curiously, aiming his question towards Malfoy. He simply eyed Nicole curiously. Nicole didn’t bother to stay and bother with the conversation and quickly fled to her dormitory. Casting a sidelong glance at his friend, Malfoy also walked up the stairs to his bed.

Image
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm terribly sorry I haven't updated in forever guys! Hopefully now that school is basically done I can focus on this some more