The Bucket List

Cookies.

It wasn’t that long of a drive to Rissa’s. It was only two hours, pushing on three depending upon the traffic. The quiet drive gave her time to think.

Grace didn’t know what exactly she was going to do at Rissa’s or what she was going to say to her. To be honest this didn’t bother her, for one she don’t know if Mimi knew that the cancer had to return. Grace was hoping she didn’t. Then her aunt wouldn’t sit there scrutinizing her, wondering if I was going to go any second.

When she finally pulled into her drive she smiled. Nothing had changed a bit. The wooden door was still covered in bright chipped red paint, which looked even more colourful against the white painted walls.

As soon as the turned the engine off the door banged open as a little woman ran through the door. Her platinum blonde hair pulled into a knot on top of her head paired with a pair of cut off jean shorts and a navy blue top.

“Grace!” she shrieked a happy bubbly sound that caused a smile on my face.

“Hi Aunt Rissa!” the younger girl replied smiling as she stepped out the car before getting wrapped in a bone crushing hug.

“Don’t call me Aunt Rissa you know how it makes me feel old” she exclaimed squeezing even tighter, as though that was possible.

Grace chuckled slightly, smelling the scent of cookies and chocolate against her soft skin.

“Sorry Rissa, I missed you” she replied softly as she pulled away, Rissa holding her niece at arm’s length as though she was examining here.

“I know baby doll, I missed you to” Giving the beautiful teen a soft sympathizing smile, wrapping an arm around her should leading the girl into the house.

The kitchen was the young girl’s favourite room of the house; her aunt was always in there, making different types of amazing food, which she trial-ran before adding it to the menu of her bakery.

However there was an unusual sight in the kitchen, consisting of a teenage boy with his back to her, shoving as many cookies into his mouth as possible.

A chuckle rang through the room, escaping the aunt’s throat as she headed back to the stove, her hand mixing the liquid, which was simmering, furiously.

The boy snapped his head around, his eyes meeting Grace’s with a curious stare.

“I’m Halvo” the boy stated, his eyes scanning the girl, but his hand automatically reaching for another cookie, which he placed robotically in his mouth.

“Hello” the girl spoke, her voice only an octave higher than a whisper, she stood awkwardly at the doorway, not moving a muscle as the boy continued to stare at her, cookie crumbs falling out the corners of his slightly over large mouth.

“You can sit down you know” he spoke, his hand venturing in the opposite direction to the cookies, a glass of milk beginning its journey down his throat. He raised an eyebrow as he wiped his mouth with the back of his mouth, turning around to face the table.

She carefully stepped across the room and sat at the table, it was silent for a second as she sat robotically staring at the cookies, before jumping, startled, as a glass of lemonade was placed in front of her.

Grace smiled gratefully at her aunt turning back to the table with a sigh picking the cold glass up and taking a gulp, the ice cold liquid slipping down her throat, refreshing her in a satisfying way.

The room was filled with an awkward silence, no one knowing what to say. Halvo was too busy shoving cookie after cookie into his mouth to notice that the girl opposite him wasn’t speaking at all.

Her body sat unusually still in the chair, the only movement from her was her chest heaving with every breath she took, the only sign showing she wasn’t a wax-figure.

“You don’t talk much do you?” he said suddenly, startling the younger girl causing her to lose grip on the thin glass in her hand, as she watched it fall and shatter, the sound making her jump slightly.
“I-I-I’m sorry” she stuttered out, her eyes, as wide as saucers, shooting upwards to her aunt scared of what was going to happen next.

“Shh, it’s okay sweetie, it was only an accident” her aunts voice soothed, as she bent down picking up the shards of glass up off the floor using a slice of bread. A small smile making its way on to the girl’s lips as it reminded her mother.

“Can I please go to my room, I feel tired” the girl whispered, her aunt looking at her instantly nodding, hurrying the girl out of the room.

Leave a bewildered Halvo behind, confused with the new girl and what made her so unique.
♠ ♠ ♠
comments would be appreciated :)