Status: In progress :)

Catch My Breath and Go For It

Chapter 2

Tuesday April 12, 2014

After my shift at work finished (Bakers Delight, otherwise known as the reason I share a flat) I was picked up by my friend, and flatmate, Shaye. We both work around Southbank, but her shift starts earlier than mine, so we catch the train at different times. Well, I catch the train. She has a car, which she picks me up in when we finish work at the same time. Today was one of those days.

"So I met a guy on the train." I nonchalantly inserted into the conversation on the drive home, wondering how she'd react. Shaye looked at me incredulously.

"Was he hot?" Trust her. I rolled my eyes.

"Yeah, he was like 80 and the rolls of skin coming off his face were turning me on so much."
"You're kidding!" I face palmed. Although she isn't blonde, she sure acts like it.

"Ohmygod Shaye. Take a hint. Of course he was hot! He was gorgeous. Our age too!" Jess raised her eyebrows suggestively. Horny bitch. "Unlike you, though, I don't make out with them the moment I meet them." She poked her tongue at me.

"You're just jealous I have such charisma." Spot on, actually. "So," The light changed to red and we halted. Shaye turned to me. "What did he look like?"

I chewed on my lip, trying to remember through the boring day. "He had… a number 2 haircut, or whatever you call it, small white V-neck, grey jacket, jeans and sneakers. Somehow he pulled it off without looking like a douche. And he was American!"

"Oooooh!" Jess' interest spiked. She had a thing for accents. But then, doesn't everybody? "You talked, right?"

I bit my lip. Whoops. "Uh….." I said brilliantly.

"Mia, please tell me you talked."

"Well...we introduced ourselves, I asked him where he came from in America, Baltimore, and uh… that's about it." Jess rolled her eyes at me.

"Who made the first introduction?" I looked at her weirdly. What?

"Um… him? He coughed and shook my hand. What is that meant to mean?" Jess' eyes lit up with excitement.

"He's totally into you!" I laughed. And I laughed hard. I was bracing myself against the dashboard to support myself. I mean seriously? I hot guy? Into me? That was something to laugh about. Shaye was looking at me with complete and utter confusion on her face.
"Wait, why are you laughing? What's funny? Mia tell me!" I managed to gasp a few words through the hilarity of it all.

"Hot… guy… interested… in… ME?" That just jumpstarted another bout of (now) giggles. Jess rolled her eyes and put her foot on the pedal.

"Mia, you hopeless bumblebee. You could have at least made a bit more small talk, or gotten his number! Stupid girl. Stupid!" I guffawed. Was I really being lectured by Shaye Maplin? This was a sight to see.

"Well, he could become a regular on the train, right?" Shaye raised an eyebrow at my positivity.

"With your luck and charisma, he's probably halfway across the world and still running. So I seriously doubt he will. But whatever, forget him, I thought it was only old men and those annoying wanna-be ghetto kids who took the train?" I slapped her wrist.

"Isn't that a little racist?"

"Not when they're all assholes. I caught it once and one told me I had a nice hickey, and then made a rude gesture at me."

"Your fault for having a hickey."

"They annoy me. Full stop."

"Whatever." I sighed. "Jess, you have such a warped perspective on the world."

She pouted at me. "I like my perspective. If everyone had my perspective, the world would be a better place. And be a bitch to me again, and I'm never picking you up from work again. I'll leave you to rot with the ghetto kids."

"Oh no! How will I ever manage without you, oh noble steed!" I 'fainted' in to my seat and peeked at her through the corner of my eye, and caught her glaring at me. I poked my tongue out and turned the radio up, some good song playing. She knows she loves me, deep down.
♠ ♠ ♠