Sequel: Morning Light

The Cullen

Shadow

"You didn't think I would leave alone, did you?" he asked, amused.

"Yeah, I did," I confessed.

"It was the only way to get rid of Aaron. He is quite the jealous type, isn’t he?" he asked.

"You have no idea," I answered, remembering some of his jealousies that angered me.

"You should see some of the ways he has planned to get rid of me. They are quite hilarious."

I gasped, "Oh my gosh! That is horrible." He smiled that same beautiful half smile from before. I looked at him adoringly.

"I asked you not to do that."

I did not need to be a mind reader to know what he was talking about. "Can you blame me?"

"No, I can't. I have been around too much lately."

"I don't mind," I mumbled.

"I should have left after the three months," he said, mainly to himself.

"What?!" I gasped.

"I made a deal with Carlisle, after Bella..." he couldn't say that last part.

I decided to make it easier for him, "Yeah. What was the deal?"

"I could not live without Bella. I was not going to live in the world without her. I was going to kill myself."

I gasped. He looked at me. I could not believe it.

"I couldn't do it myself. I was going to get the Vultori to do it. I couldn't do it though. At the third month, all I could think about was what Bella said and, oddly, you."

"Oh, thanks."

"Not that it was bad, I just wasn't expecting it."

I nodded. "I'm glad you didn't."

"Me too. You look tired. You should rest." He started humming something familiar. I moved over for him to sit beside me. He laid down beside me and continued to hum. I fell asleep with my head on his chest.

***

The next few weeks went by fast. I healed quicker than Carlisle anticipated. Aaron left three days after the incident. Edward said is was to his annoyance with Edward. Edward helped me more than Aaron. Of course, Edward had inhuman speed on his side. I was sad to see Aaron go. Alice and I even became close. Her gift mystified me. I find a little upsetting, just like her, that she can't see the final outcome until the final decision is made. It would so much more convenient if she saw the final decision before the person decided it.

I have been hanging out at the Cullen's house more often since I healed. I had all the casts and braces off by now. Today was a bright, sunny day in forks; the unusual. We- Edward, Alice, and I- were upstairs. Edward and Alice were trying to play chess. It was not working out so well. They both knew what the other would do. It was quite funny. As always, one of them threw the board over and spill the pieces all over the place. I didn't notice which one did this time, for I was too intrigued by all the books in Carlisle's library. I got distracted when Alice called my name.

"I'm not picking that up," I said, pointing to the mess.

"Of course not silly," Alice said. One second later the mess was picked up. All the pieces were in the rightful spots.

We walked out the room headed for the stairs. The large windows let in the sunlight. It pranced across their skin like white crystals. I gasped. Edward and Alice looked at me with smiles forming across their faces.

"Oh, I guess I never did show what the sun does to our skin," Edward laughed.

"No, I think you forgot about that detail," I whispered in shock. It was the most amazing thing I have ever seen. I reached out to touch his skin. It was cold and soft as silk as always. For once he did not flinch away, which shocked me. Whenever we made contact, which was not often, he flitted across the room to the other corner. For some odd reason his not moving elated me.

At that moment Alice went blank but recovered a second later with a smile forming. She must have seen something good. At the same time, Edward started smiling. I wonder what he was planning. Alice flitted down stairs. Edward opened his eyes.

“What were you thinking?” I asked for once, truly interested.

“Aren’t I the that asks that question?” he laughed.

“Well I can’t read your mind either,” I chuckled.

"I was thinking about your's and the sun's warmth. Oh. I left something up stairs. Do you mind coming with me to get it?”

“Not at all.”

I was more than eager to follow him. What was it that he forgot? It wasn’t like him to forget things. I still haven’t gotten over his glistening skin. I was so memorized, I didn't realize we were to his him already. I tripped over the carpet. He caught me before I could fall on my face. His face was startling. It was so much more beautiful up close.

He looked down at me and smiled. I hadn't realized that I wasn't breathing. I took a deep breath. I didn't drop his gaze. He brushed a piece of her from my face. I finally smiled back. He didn't move for a while, not that I minded. I was getting stiff, but I didn't say anything. I think he noticed though. He straightened up and straightened me at the same time.

"Thanks," I said quietly. He just nodded. "So what did you forget?"

"I wanted to give you those other things of Bella's that borrowed so long ago."

"Oh. Um...okay." I was not expecting that.

"I just didn't want you to forget them. I have been meaning to give them to you, but I kept forgetting. I guess subconciously I did not want to give them back."

"Yeah. I understand," I said kind of sad.

"Are you okay?" he ask with concern.

"Yeah. I'm just a little stiff; I guess." He didn't buy it, but didn't show it. I guess I will always live in Bella's shadow.