Sequel: Morning Light

The Cullen

Explaination

Her scream continued for a few minutes. It was so high pitched that it thought my ears were going to bleed. I finally got the idea to cover her mouth with my hand.

“Why are you screaming?!” I shouted.

She whimpered for a little while before answering me. “Where are we?”

“We’re in Scotland at the cottage.”

“But…”

“But what?”

“How did I get here? The last thing I remember is being in the woods and you…you were…” Katie couldn’t finish.

“I what?” I prompted.

“You bit me, but before that, I was bitten buy some guy. Those people were lunatics. They thought they were vampires.”

I laughed at he naivety, but she thought I was making fun of her. I answered her. “They didn’t think they were vampires. They were vampires.”

“Real funny, make fun of me.”

“You want to know something else, so are you now,” I hated saying the latter part.

She guffawed. “You are hilarious. Next you’re going to say that you and Edward are too, right?”

“He is and I’m only half.”

She laughed again. “Yeah ok, prove it?”

I opened up the window and jumped through it and landed gracefully on my feet.

“That only proves you’re a great gymnast, not a vampire.”

Right when finished saying it was right behind her saying, “But doesn’t it?”

She screamed, “How did you do that?”

“How any vampire can do it, that’s how. Look in the mirror, please.”

I walked her to the mirror to show her her reflection, her eyes, her even paler skin, her teeth. She gasped at the sight of herself. She was stunned. She stared at herself for a few minutes. Edward came up while she was staring at herself. She would pull the skin around her eyes down. She would widen them, and then her mouth.

“What happened to my contacts?” she asked.

Edward answered her, “The venom dissolved them.” She jumped when she heard him speak.

“Oh,” was all she said. A few minutes later she asked, “ So I really am a vampire?”

“Yep,” I answered solemnly.

“Sweet!” she exclaimed.

“What?!” Edward and I asked together.

“What? This is awesome. I just thought they only existed in books.”

Edward and I were speechless. Yeah I guess in some retrospective it is cool, but not to us. It was a curse you could never outrun.

“How come you’re only half, Amber?”

I didn’t answer her at first. I wasn’t used to being called Amber. “Oh, my father was a vampire and my mom human.”

“Your dad is a vampire?’

“Not the one back home. He’s not my real father. My real father now has lived in Forks the past few months.”

“Wow.”

“Yeah,” and the subject was dropped.

“So what now?” she asked.

“What you mean?”

“What do I do?” She licked her lips. She must be thirsty. “Do I hunt…” she didn’t want to finish the sentence.

“No, of course not. We hunt animals,” I answered.

“Edward, will you take her and explain everything, please?”

“Yes. Come on Katie,” he said.

She hesitated. “But… but the sun is up.”

Edward and I laughed at her. She actually believed that the sun can hurt vampires. It took us a minute to calm down. Katie just looked at us, not amused..

“What’s so funny?”

“Nothing,” I said, and Edward explained, “The sun can’t hurt vampires. Something entirely different happens to us in the sun.”

“Like what?”

“You’ll see,” was all he said before grabbing Katie and jumping out the window with her.

I stared after them until I could no longer see them. I knew where they were going. I hoped they would be okay. I walked downstairs to fix me something to eat. I would wait until they return. I sat at the kitchen table for hours just thinking of as million things. Then something hit me, literally. I turned around to see a face I wish I have never seen in the first place.