Sequel: Morning Light

The Cullen

After the Procession

The procession took forever to end. Everyone sitting in silence except for the occasional stifled sob that took place approximately every five seconds. It was torture seeing everyone else in the room cry, except the Cullens, and not being able to cry myself. Of course I was upset for my cousin, but I didn’t know her well. I wonder if Edward and his family actually cared for Bella because, they like me, did not cry or it is just that they don’t like to cry in public. They respectively mourn Bella’s death instead of sobbing uncontrollably unlike the rest of the people here who could not contain themselves. I could excuse Charlie and Renee` though, they lost their only child they had had together. This is ridiculous, everyone had a reason to cry for this girl. I can’t excuse myself for behaving like this. Finally the service is done.

“Uncle Charlie, Aunt Renee`?” I whispered only in the confines of their ears.

They had went up to Bella’s ajar casket. I had to pry my aunt from atop of Bella; she clasped onto her little girl. Charlie stood there immobilized. He, too, I had to yank out his position so that others could get one final look at dear Bella. I realized that it had taken me a few minutes to move from where I stood. As I turned, I saw Edward staring at me with remorse in his eyes.

“You should come to the little gathering Charlie is having after everyone leaves,” I invited.

“I don’t think that’s a good idea. Charlie doesn’t exactly like me, or my family of matter of fact, that much.”

“He has to; you an Bella were together for while, right?”

“Yeah, but something happened at the beginning of this year and Charlie hasn’t exactly gotten over it. He used to love me but now he can barely stand me.”

“Please come, Bella would want you to. She doesn’t want Charlie to neglect you , and I would want you to, also. See why Bella was so fascinated with you; she’s not easily occupied.”

“Well maybe, I’ll talk to Carlisle.”

“Thanks, it would be nice. Maybe I can give you something that would help you not forget her. Like the photo album she has with a thousand pictures she has of you.”

“Okay.”

“See you there,” hoping I wasn’t being to strong.

On the way back to Charlie’s I explained that the Cullens might show up. He wasn’t happy about it. He argued with me and asked me to tell them to leave when they arrive at the house. I explained how Bella would want Edward and his family there and for him to accept them once again. He let go of the matter and turned up the radio. It was silence the rest of the ride. He jumped out the car and glared at the street. I’m guessing he was looking for the Cullen’s cars. They were no where in site it appeared. HE ran to the house and changed.

I lingered behind and waited, looking for myself that they weren’t here. As I waited, Renée and Phil arrived and then some of Bella’s friends, I’m guessing. They were all very nice. Again I waited ,hoping for them to arrive. Seeing no point in no longer standing in the damp cold, I headed for the house. I went upstairs and changed into something less formal but still appropriate. When I returned, they had already arrived.

“Thanks for coming.”

“No problem.”

“What took ya’ll so long?”

“We were debating on to come or not. It doesn’t help when we all went in our own cars to the funeral. I had to convince the others to come on their own.”

“Oh, well, if that caused an argument I shouldn’t have asked. I’m sorry.”

“No need to be. Now, didn’t you say you had something of Bella’s to give me?”

“Oh, yeah. In her old bedroom.”

We walked up the stairs slowly. I wondered how big of a “debate” it was. I didn’t mean to cause one, especially on the first day I arrive on Forks. We reached in the room. I couldn’t remember where I placed her scrapbook. I had her room- my room? - a mess already. My clothes, make-up, straightened, and iron all on the floor and bed. I scurried around the room hoping I had put it on something that stood out, like her desk or nightstand. I didn’t . It was under the mess on the bed I made earlier when I arrived. I scrounged through it and finally found it. He looked at me in amazement as I turned around.

“What?” I asked surprised by his look.

“Nothing. It’s just amazing that you can find anything in this mess.”

“I years of experience finding things in a mess,” I half laughed.

“I can tell,” he laughed too.

The laughing didn’t last long. I wondered what other pictures did she have in there. I didn’t look through the entire thing, only the first couple of pages of pictures. Would he mind if I asked to look?

“Do you mind?” I asked pointing at the album. “I didn’t look through the entire thing.”

“Oh yeah it’s fine.”

I looked through it. She had a lot of Edward and her. She was prettier than I remembered. They looked happy together. Like they belonged together for all eternity.

“Wow. Ya’ll look so happy together,” I gasped, interrupting the silence.

“We were,” he simply said.

“You loved her,” I stated, not asking.

“I did, and she loved me.”

“I can tell. I’m so sorry; this has to be so hard for you.”

“You have no idea. We were going to get married after she came home from her mother’s.”

“Charlie was going to let ya’ll?” asking in disbelief.

“He didn’t know.”

That made better sense to me. I know my Uncle Charlie wouldn’t have allowed that. God. They did love each other, a lot.

“I’m so sorry. I know I keep saying it, but I really am.”

“It’s okay,” he sniffed. “So how long are you staying here?” he asked, changing the subject.

“Until I go to college. Even when I start college, I’ll still live with Charlie.”

That stern look wiped across his face again. It was the same look I got at the church, only without the bulging eyeballs. I swear he went through ten different emotions in that second I told him.

“Oh,” he merely said.

“What?”

“Nothing,” he said as he turned for the door and vanished.

I sat there, awe stricken until everyone left. When they did, I went downstairs and helped my uncle clean the place up. Renée and Phil were staying at a nearby hotel and stayed to help clean. After that, I went upstairs to take a shower and go to sleep. I dreamt the weirdest things. They were about Edward, a boy I hardly know.