Status: Active

Ocean of Secrets

Who do you think you are?

“I’m going,” I spoke into the phone with a quivering lip. The few hours between school and my journey to the drugstore had seemed like only seconds after my game with Belle.

“Don’t sound so excited,” was Bridget’s sarcastic response. “You’re going to make sure some snobby girl doesn’t lay a finger on your man. Try to sound a little braver.”

I wanted to correct her and say that Malachai wasn’t my man but changed my mind. “Bridget I’m going.” I spoke the words again after a deep breath. Even to my own ears I still sounded like a scared little girl.

She let out a sigh and I did too. “I have a feeling that you’re going to chicken out on me.” I walked across my bedroom floor and stood in front of my floor length mirror.

My room hadn’t changed much from the start of high school except maybe for a couple different college posters. The walls were still shockingly green and the carpet a dull grayish color. Every open service was littered with clothing from my scavenger hunt minutes ago, and I knew that my mom would freak out when I got back home if she saw it. The only good thing about my room being in the basement was that she didn’t come down here too often though.

I scanned my reflection and took another deep breath. My eyes narrowed, “I’m not going to chicken out Bridget. I’m going to go see Malachai and I’m going to put Aurora in her place.” I figured that if I said that enough that I’d actually work up the courage to do it.

“Good for you,” I could hear a smile on Bridget’s face and some springs creaking as she sat down on her bed. “Now tell me what you’re wearing.”

“Just some jeans and a v-neck from AE,” I told her nonchalantly. When I heard that she was about to reject I added, “I’m not going to dress up or he’ll know something strange is going on.”

The other end was silent for a few moments as if she was thinking this over. “Good idea Luce. I guess you’re ready to go then huh?”

“I just need you to come get me.” I put on a cheesy grin even though she couldn’t see it and made my voice sound sweet. In the mirror I watched as my face transformed to that of a little girl.

“No way José,” I pulled at my shirt, “You have to get there yourself. You’ve got a license so borrow your mom’s car.” Beads of sweat formed on the back of my neck at her suggestion.

“Why can’t you just pick me up?” The thought of driving scared me more than seeing Malachai. I hated driving unless it was absolutely necessary; like getting out of the diner.

“If I picked you up and we drove up there they might think it’s weird that you’re getting something for your mom.” I didn’t understand her logic and guessed that she probably just wanted to stay home. “I have to go lovely. Call me when you get back home and tell me how it went though.”

♦♣♦♣♦♣


I sat in front of the drugstore, thankfully still alive, and watched Aurora through the windows. It was surprising that she hadn’t seen me yet but I was thankful for that also. I had no idea as to what time Malachai normally came into the store and I didn’t want to sit in there forever doing nothing, but I also didn’t want to walk in after him.

Turning my car off I opened the door and decided to go in now. Aurora had walked away from the counter and into the back room so she wouldn’t see me as I walked in. The bell chimed to announce my entrance and I quickly scurried into one of the aisles before Aurora could see it was me.

I glanced at the items in front of me and saw some tissue boxes. I grabbed one before moving into another aisle and grabbed something from there too, and then I moved toward the freezers. In my hands I held a bag of pretzels and taking a closer look at the tissue box I saw that it featured an image of Toy Story.

The freezers were jam packed with different kinds of ice cream and multiple sized tubs. Ben and Jerry’s was sitting in the corner, Baskin Robbins was next to it, and then Bruster’s and multiple others. There were multiple flavors that I had never heard of so I just grabbed a box of chocolate before shutting the door.

I didn’t want to go up to the register and have to deal with Aurora yet, so I just continued to walk through the aisles. There were some key chains on the edge of a shelf and I took a quick glance at them. A couple of them were on the vulgar side, and others were child friendly with quotes about friends and pets. I stood and read through them while I waited a little longer. When I finished I realized that there was no point in staying here any longer without seeming suspicious so I walked up to the register and placed the items on the counter.

Aurora was still in the back room so I glanced at the candy shelf. Sitting above it were lighters and a couple more key chains. I tried to remain calm and quiet but my hands were becoming clammy as the seconds ticked past. Finally Aurora stepped out of the back room and came to the counter without glancing up at me. Truthfully I don’t think she even saw who it was because she hadn’t said anything rude.

“Will that be all for you today?” Finally she glanced up and saw me. She didn’t allow me to answer, “What are you doing here?” Her voice sounded annoyed and her face was contorted into what looked like disgust.

“I didn’t know that I wasn’t allowed to shop here.” The words shocked even me and I looked down at the counter. Aurora had stopped moving and was staring at me.

“You’ve got some balls saying that to me.” Her hand was dangling the tissue box over the scanner and the computer showed that it had been inputted a couple times.

I tried to think of a comeback as the scanner beeped for the tenth time and the bell over the door chimed. Neither Aurora nor I looked up to see who it was because our eyes were locked on each other. “Who do you think you are?”

My mouth stumbled over words and my tongue suddenly felt heavy. Sweat broke out on the back of my neck and I felt like bolting, but I didn’t have to.

“What’s going on here?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Ooh this chapter is a little scandalous.
Leave me comments and tell me what you think (: