Status: Active

Ocean of Secrets

Don't be an idiot.

I once again sat in Malachai’s red Bugatti with the plastic grocery bag sitting on my lap. My hands were clammy and every time I moved, a loud crackling sound filled our silence. We were sitting in the parking lot, with the heater running, and Malachai was staring the windows probably at Aurora.

Due to his unchanging expression I wasn’t able to tell exactly what he was thinking. I didn’t know what he thought of her, and I certainly didn’t know what he thought of me.

“Is she always like that?” I looked over at the driver seat and saw Malachai’s eyes on me. I was once again struck speechless by his good looks, but the bruise on his eye made me a little weary. How did he get it?

Malachai looked out his window suddenly and I found my voice. “What do you mean?” I knew exactly what he meant and he knew I knew also, but I didn’t want him to feel sorry for me. I also didn’t need him to think that I was some kind of tattle-tale.

Once again his eyes found mine, but they weren’t searching for any answers. Instead they seemed to be probing my mind. “You know exactly what I mean.”

I bit my lip not knowing exactly what to say. “Bridget will tell you.”

“I don’t want to ask Bridget.” Instead of snapping, like most people would have, Malachai’s voice became softer. “Just tell me and I’ll take you home.”

I found myself locked in place by his eyes; they were mesmerizing. “She’s never touched me before.” I didn’t tell him that she harassed me every day of my life.

He turned forward and put the car into reverse, “I see.” We didn’t say anything more until we reached my driveway.

Once again I didn’t want to get out of the car. I felt as though next to him that nothing could touch me. I felt like the world around us just stops until I open the door.

“Lucy,” I glanced up at him and saw that he was looking straight at me. He didn’t say anything else for a moment, but his hands released the steering wheel and one of them reached toward mine. It stopped about half an inch away. I could feel his fingers even though we weren’t touching and my heart began to throb painfully.

I continued to gaze into his eyes and they seemed to go on forever. “If it’s alright with you,” He stopped once again and retracted his hand. I really wished that I could have felt his skin on mine though. A tremor seemed to shake him and my stomach fluttered. “I’d like to take you somewhere this Friday.”

My eyes widened. I hadn’t expected anything like that in a hundred years, but it pleased me to know that he wanted to go somewhere with me. My fingers clasped the bag tighter and the plastic crinkled loudly. I didn’t want to answer him too quickly, but I also didn’t want him to think I wasn’t interested.

I looked down at the black Converse on my feet to get away from his lingering gaze. I could still feel him looking at me, but I could think better when his eyes weren’t locked on mine. “I,” Bridget was much more equipped for moments like this. I stuttered over my words, “I’d like that.”

I looked back at Malachai just in time to see a small smile form on his perfect lips; suddenly they looked very appetizing. A blush rose to my cheeks but I couldn’t look away. I just wanted to touch him.

My mind jumped around randomly and my eyes feasted hungrily on his face. Warmth spread on the back of my hand and I realized that he was touching me. His calloused fingers were rough but also soft, and where ever the touched created an explosion of heat on my skin. I wondered how it would feel to be completely pressed up against him. Would the little explosions wrack my whole body?

Malachai’s lips opened slightly and his neck reddened as he removed his hand. “I’ll pick you up around seven-thirty.”

It took all of my strength to nod my head and walk out of his car, but somehow I managed. And inside not even my father grinding school subjects into my brain could erase my good mood.

♦♣♦♣♦♣


At first I wasn’t sure if I should tell Bridget everything about what happened because she had had a crush on Malachai, but once I got started I couldn’t stop the words from pouring out of my mouth. I didn’t want to make her jealous but I couldn’t keep from boasting either.

“It sounds like he might be somewhat interested in you after all.” I heard the unspoken disbelief and felt slightly angry. Why was it so hard to believe that a boy, or man, liked me?

I didn’t accuse Bridget due to the fact that I knew she was trying to cope with this idea, some girls probably would never have spoken to me again but not Bridget. “I have absolutely no idea where he’s taking me though and he’s probably not even thinking about this as a date.” The words rung truer that I cared for them to.

“Don’t be an idiot Luce,” I pictured Bridget glaring at me like I was stupid. “He wanted you to go with us for lunch, and he pays more attention to you than you think.”

I didn’t know if she was just trying to make me feel better or telling the truth. I wanted to believe the latter but also didn’t think that I could. “Do you really think so?”

“Lucy I wouldn’t just say stuff like that to make someone feel better.” I laughed due to her reading my mind, and she joined in. I felt much better after we hung up, but I still didn’t know whether or not Malachai had asked me out on a date. And that made me nervous.
♠ ♠ ♠
Leave me comments. (: