Status: Active

Ocean of Secrets

Malachai

I ordered a glass of water from the bartender, and he gave me an odd look. I should have asked for something a little less virgin. Even though this was supposed to be a teen club, people everywhere were drinking alcohol. Their age didn’t seem to matter to anyone here.

On both sides of me an older man sat with a young girl on his knee. I felt slightly claustrophobic, and a bit on the disgusted side. Wasted girls had really bad taste in men. The guys looked older than my dad, and they both had the aura of a pervert.

A small glass of water appeared in front of me, and I grabbed it with both hands before spinning around on the stool. I scanned the dance floor with my eyes and after a few moments I caught a glimpse of Bridget’s golden dress in the crowd. I continued to stare until the crowd parted, and my jaw dropped when I saw her dancing partner. She was grinding with cigarette boy.

Seeing them together made my chest hurt, and I realized that if Bridget wanted him now, then I wouldn’t be able to have him ever. And usually whatever Bridget wanted she got. My mind pictured images of him hanging onto her every word and their lips meeting during random, romantic encounters. I had to stop myself before any other thoughts crossed my mind.

Suddenly Bridget stopped dancing, and started to lead Camel Crush Guy towards me. I bit my lip at the sight of her hand holding his, and I spun back around to face the bar. Seeing them together from far away was enough to make me upset. I didn’t want them flirting right next to me. I took a gulp of water and then set the glass on the wooden surface right before a hand twirled my stool around.

“Hey bitch!” I cringed inwardly at the sound of Bridget’s voice. She was obviously drunk. “I want you to meet my dancing buddy; his name is Malachai.” Her words slurred into each other and I could barely understand her, but my heart throbbed at the sound of his name; it suited him.

My eyes traveled over to Malachai, and I inspected him before waving with a sheepish grin. He was wearing dark wash jeans and a black button down shirt, and his dark hair was combed to the side like always. The only difference in him really was the fact that he was perspiring slightly; it took all of my will power to not lick my lips.

A wave of sadness consumed me when my eyes traveled downward and I saw that Bridget’s hand hadn’t yet released his. “Lucy is just so cute,” She turned to him and fell against his chest. Bridget was so drunk that she couldn’t even stand up straight; how was I supposed to explain this to her father? “She works at that little drugstore in McCook.” A giggle escaped her mouth and she placed her empty hand against Malachai’s chest while the other continued to grasp his hand tightly.

I felt the need to make Bridget stop touching him, but I just sat on my stool quietly. Another song was blaring out of the speakers and the vibrations from bass were starting to make me feel nauseous. Malachai nodded once in a response to Bridget, and I closed my eyes. He didn’t give a crap about who I was. Bridget had won yet another heart before I could even get a word in.

“I’m not feeling too well Bri,” I tried to shout loud enough for her to hear, but she didn’t even look at me. She was too engrossed with Malachai. “I’m going to leave.” Malachai nodded again as I stood up, and I silently wondered if he ever talked. “Come on Bridget. I’m ready to leave.” I reached for her arm, but she pulled away from me just as my fingers brushed her bare arm.

Bridget’s hand ran up and down Malachai’s torso, “I don’t want to go anywhere without Mally.” A delirious smile formed on her face when she turned to face him, and I could imagine the smell of alcohol drifting from her mouth when she spoke.

I grimaced at the nickname, “Well then I guess I’ll walk home.” I thought about the half hour that it took to get here and sighed inwardly. It would be a long walk back to McCook from here. I turned back to the bar and took another swig from my glass of water.

Bridget giggled obnoxiously, and I wanted to smack her. Earlier she hadn’t said a word about getting drunk, and now she was acting like this. She knew that I hate how she acts when she’s drunk, but she got wasted anyway. I clenched my jaw and felt tears threaten to overflow from my eyes.

I set the glass back down and let out a sigh. “Do you need a ride home?” I felt breath on the back of my neck and chills ran down my spine. I turned slowly and saw that Malachai had somehow untangled himself from Bridget enough to get within a foot of me. My pulse quickened as I realized that he had whispered into my ear. “McCook is a pretty long walk.”

I had to bite the inside of my cheek to keep myself from answering his question with an excited yes. My hands became clammy, and I looked down at them as I started to play with my fingers. “I don’t really trust drunk people to get my friend and I home safely.” A girly smile tugged at my lips, and I instantly felt stupid for allowing his question to make me feel so giddy.

“I’m not drunk.” I looked up to meet his gaze, and I found myself lost in his eyes. Even in the dark-lit club I could see every color that made up his iris. Malachai was staring back into mine and I thought I felt the floor disappear beneath my feet. Everything around us seemed to move in slow motion, and then Bridget squeezed herself between us.

“Lucy let the guy take us home,” She had somehow found a way to make her body form perfectly around his.

“Fine,” I felt my shoulders relax a little bit at his smirk. “But it’s only because it’s too damn far to walk.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I feel like no one really likes this story.
Leave me comments and subscribe to make me feel better (:

Also, what do you think of the new layout?