My New Parents Are Who

4

“Mr. and Mrs. Iero?” Ms. Cleethy asked.

“Yes, you must be Sadie and Ms. Cleethy. Please come in,” Jamia said, smiling at us.

We followed her into the living room. I sat next to Ms. Cleethy still in shock about who’s house we were in. we sat there looking at each other, no one sure how sure how to start.

“So Sadie, you’re in ninth grade?” Jamia asked.

“Yeah.”

“What do you like to do?”

“Reading, writing, listening to music, playing guitar, and hanging out with my friends. That’s about it.”

“What kind of guitar do you play?” Frank asked, finally talking.

“Acoustic, I’ve been playing for a little less then a year.”

“Cool.”

“Do you have any questions for us?”

“Why do you want to adopt, especially someone as old as me?”

“We just really wanted to adopt and I’m not really sure how well we would do with a child.”

“Oh.”

“So, are you sure you would like to adopt Sadie?” Ms. Cleethy asked.

“Yes,” Jamia said enthusiastically and Frank nodded with a smile.

“Sadie, do you want them to be your new parents? Just remember that before everything is finalized you would be living with Jamia and Frank for about a week.”

“Yeah, I want them to adopt me.”

Jamia and Frank got huge smiles on their faces.

“Alright then. Would you like to get better aquatinted and I’ll come back later to get Sadie?”

“Sure. What time do you want her to be ready by?” Jamia asked.

“Is three alright because we have a two hour drive?”

“Of course!”

Ms. Cleethy left and I was along with my possible new parents. And now I’m really shy. We sat in the living room in silence for a minute or two.

Um would you like to see your room?” Frank asked.

“Sure.”

We got up and they led me upstairs. Frank opened a door and led me in. the room was light green and had a window that faced the backyard.

“Do you like it?” Jamia asked.

“Yeah, I really like the color.”

“Glad I told you to choose it?” Frank asked Jamia.

“Well I wasn’t sure what kind of colors she likes.”

“You painted it for me?”

“Yeah, it used to be just white.”

“You didn’t have to do that.”

“We wanted you to feel more at home.”

“Thanks!”

“So do you think you’ll like it here?” Jamia asked.

“Yeah, you seem really nice.”

we went down to the kitchen and talked some more. We were all still nervous so we didn’t really get far. At three Ms. Cleethy came to get me.

“Did you have a good time?” she asked me when we were in the car.

“Yeah it was a little quiet though; I think we’ll need some time before we’re comfortable with everything.”

“Well I’m happy you’re ok with them. You aunt called about an hour ago and I told her.”

“Ok.”

The ride home was as silent as the ride to their house. I read again for the remaining time. When we pulled up in front of Aunt Marie’s house it was almost six because of the traffic.

I talked to Aunt Marie and she said I would miss school tomorrow to pack then we would deal with the house and everything else.