Sequel: My Only One
Status: completed — sequel is posted!

Desperately Reaching for Something in the Dark

Thirteen

Alex’s POV;

“Charlie and I are leaving next week.”

As those words passed Aria’s lips, I honestly didn’t know what to think. When we dated during high school, we never had to worry about being thousands of miles apart because we lived two streets away from each other. I also wasn’t on tour with my band back then, either. But now… with Charlotte and Arianna leaving, I don’t know what could possibly happen.

“You can’t stay?” I asked. I soon realized how dumb of a question that actually was—of course she couldn’t stay. She had a job owning a daycare back in California.

She shook her head. “We’ve been gone for a month already and I’m running low on cash and the daycare needs me.”

“I could help with the money, you know.” I pointed out and offered at the same time.

“I’m an independent woman and I always have been, you know that. I don’t want to rely on someone to help me get by."

“But I’m your boyfriend, Aria.” That felt nice to finally be able to say again. “Not some random rich guy off the streets. I’m supposed to help you when you need it.”

She took one of my hands in hers. “I appreciate the offer, Alex. I really do. It’s just… I can’t take your money when I have a job back home.”

“You sure?” She nodded and I snaked my arm around her waist and pulled her closer to me. “Just know that if you need help, I’m always here and I always will be.”

Aria’s POV;

After everyone except for Alex and his parents went home, the rest of us stayed back and picked up the trash and took down the decorations. While mine and Alex’s parents cleaned inside the house, Alex and I worked on the outside together.

“Aria,” Alex called and I turned around, the white trash bag in my hands. “Think I can make it?” There was a Coke can in his hand.

I shrugged my shoulders. “Not sure.”

“Just guess.”

“Fine.” I laughed. “I think you won’t make it.”

“I bet you’re wrong.”

As soon as the can was in the air, I closed the trash bag and tossed it on the ground so I’d be right. I smirked at him. “Told you you wouldn’t make it.”

He began taking steps towards me until he was right in front of me. The tips of our shoes were touching and his hands were on my hips. “You’re a cheater.”

“Or maybe you just suck.” He chuckled and connected our lips for a quick kiss.

He pulled back and kept his arms around me. “Would you care to accompany me to my house tonight?”

I raised my eyebrows. “Stay the night?” He nodded. “What about Charlie?”

“I was hoping it could just be me and you tonight. Maybe your parents could bring Charlie over tomorrow?”

“Yeah, okay. I’ll go.”

He brought his lips to my ear. His warm breath tickled. “Good. Because I would’ve kidnapped you if you denied me.”

--

Alex pulled into his driveway after the both of us put Charlie to sleep and I became nervous for some reason. I was never nervous around Alex… so why am I now? It’s not like I was about to tell him I love him for the first time or it was our first date. No, I’ve already gone through that.

We got out and I stood behind him as he unlocked the front door, motioning for me to walk in before him. The first thing I saw was Rian and Cass curled up on the couch together. They were so adorable together it was almost sickening. She flew in for Charlie’s party an was going back to Los Angeles tomorrow so they were spending as much time together before she left.

After we tiptoed past them to not disturb their time, we went up the stairs and into Alex’s bedroom. It was a lot cleaner than I pictured it to be. The walls were a beige color and he had a brown bedspread on his bed.

“This is immaculate compared to what your room used to look like.” I commented, dropping my bag on the floor.

“Despite what you may think, I have matured over the years. Not that much, albeit, but some.” We laughed.

“I’m pooped.” I plopped down on his bed and sunk into the cushion and blankets. His bed was soft. I moved up and laid my head on one of his pillows. It smelled like him.

“Do you wanna watch a movie?”

“Yeah.”

“My collection’s over there,” he pointed to the corner, “I’m gonna go make some popcorn and you pick the movie.”

He came back into his bedroom 10 minutes later and now he was wearing a pair of black basketball shirts and a v-neck. He had a bowl full of popcorn in his hand and came over to me, sitting down and curling his arm around my shoulder as I cuddled into his side.

“What movie did you pick?” He questioned, pressing play on the remote as the other movie trailers played.

“You’ll see.”

He sighed. “Seriously? You picked this movie?” The menu for School of Rock popped up.

“This is the best movie ever and you know it,” I said, “you’re just too dumb to admit it.” I stuck my tongue out at him and focusing my attention to the movie, tuning out Alex’s pleas to pick a different movie.

Halfway through the movie, I yawned, stretching my arms over my head.
“Tired?”

“Mhm.” I nodded, curling more into his warm body.

“Goodnight, Aria.” He said next to my ear, pressing a kiss to the tender skin behind it.

“‘Night, Lex.”

--

The next morning, I was woken up by yelling and jumping. I rubbed my eyes before opening them and saw Charlie standing on Alex’s bed, a big grin on her face.

“Hi, mommy!” She exclaimed. Her voice made Alex stir. “Wake up, daddy!”

“I don’t wanna.” He mumbled, digging his head into the pillow.

“Get up! Get up! Get up!” She began jumping on his side of the bed in hopes of waking him up, and she did just that.

A few minutes passed and we were all downstairs. I was in the kitchen making pancakes (after Charlie practically begged me to make them) and Alex was playing with her in the living room. I could hear SpongeBob’s annoying voice coming from the speakers on the TV in the living room.

I turned off the oven and placed the last pancake on a plate. “Food’s done!”

Loud footsteps sounded until Alex and Charlie were sitting down at the table. I placed a plate in front of each of them and began eating.

It was a beautiful summer day outside so we decided on spending the day in the backyard. We’d even have a little cookout with friends and family tonight for dinner.

While Charlie was running around the fenced in yard, Alex and I we’re swinging on their porch swing. Alex brought up a topic I wasn’t thinking about.

“I can come to California with you and we could buy a house out there. Finally live together with Charlie.” Alex said. “I can take a break from the band while we figure things out.”

I shook my head in disapproval. “No.”

“No?”

“No,” I repeated myself, “I couldn’t be the reason you took a break from doing what you love. You belong on that stage, Alex, and you know it. Charlotte and I will be fine while you're out touring. We'll be there for you to come back to."
♠ ♠ ♠
Here this chapter is again. 
I fixed it up a bit so if it seems like you've read it before—it had been posted already and I deleted it. 
I still don't like it. I just... don't enjoy writing this story anymore and I think I might delete it. Or just put it on hiatus.  I don't wanna keep putting out shitty chapters for you all. What do you think I should do? Put on hiatus or just trash it?

Read, comment & subscribe. 
Enjoy.

BlackVeilBridesGirl
FellSoHard
breepocket