Status: Updated every Friday

Southern Hospitality

Let Go of My Defenses

The sun is in at it's highest point in the sky, meaning it is high noon in Webster, Nevada. There are two men in the middle of nowhere, painting a red deck white. Inside of that, now white, house, a mother and daughter are working on cleaning the interior so that when they go to paint the following morning, nothing will stall their plans. The mother and daughter are currently in the second room of the day. The living room. They have the front and back door wide open, windows raised, and the radio blasting Bon Jovi. The daughter giggles as she and her mother dance around washing the walls, floor boards, and vacuuming the carpet.

When the daughter spins in the middle of the pretty much empty room, she turns to face the doorway, the two men standing out on the porch. The young woman blushes before crossing the space to turn the radio down. Her mother stands up, looking over at her daughter about to ask why she shut the music off but she then sees the men in the doorway.

“Come to join us?” Kristy asks, a smile playing on her lips.

“Nope. Just watching.” Jared says with a smile, crossing his arms over his broad chest.

“Actually, we were going to go into town to pick up lunch. Anything you two dancing queens want?” Jensen asks, looking between Kristy and her daughter.

“Where are you going?” The daughter asks, shifting on her feet waving the feather duster out the open window.

Jared shrugs. “Jensen wants Subway.”

“Syd, the usual?” Kristy asks, looking over at her daughter.

Sydney smiles, walking into the kitchen to write down what she and her mother usually get from the sub-shop. Setting the pen down on the clean counter top, she turns on her heel and comes face to face with Jensen. She hands him the paper while their green eyes meet and lock for a few seconds. Her hair goes to stand on edge and her heart flutters rapidly for the moments they stared at one another. It isn't until Jared fakes a cough that they break away from their stare, looking over to where the other two stand.

“Ready to go?” Jared asks with a smile on his lips.

“Yeah.” Jensen says holding up the piece of paper Sydney gave him, walking from the kitchen into the living room. “We'll be back in a bit.” His eyes finding Sydney's once more before walking out of the house.

“Oh!” Jared's voice comes from the front lawn. “The back of the deck is done. So after eating, we're splitting up to get the sides before finishing the front tonight.”

Sydney smiles and nods. “Thanks, guys!” She waves at them and watches them climb into the cab of Jensen's pick-up truck. She stands there in the doorway until they start driving down the dirt road that will lead them into town.

“I just witnessed an amazing moment between you and Jensen.” Kristy says as she wipes down the wall she was currently washing. “I have to say-”

“No you don't.” Sydney says going back to the wall she was working on, loving the way the dirt, dust, and grime are peeling off of the flawless white paint. “There isn't anything for you to say.”

“Sydney Marie. Like I said a couple of days ago-”

“You can lie to the boys and to yourself, but I see how you truly feel. Yeah, momma, I know.” Sydney sighs. “I just don't want to talk about it.”

“You don't have to talk about it. Jared did.”

“What?! When?”

“When you and Jensen went to go get the pizzas.”

“What did you two talk about?” Sydney asks, dropping her sponge into the pale of water sitting in the window sill besides her.

“He just told me that he had tried to get you to talk about your feelings, but your excuse was that you just got out of a divorce and how marriage was the last thing on your mind.”

“Because it's true.”

“Sweetheart, your marriage ended with Kyle years before the divorce and you know it.” Kristy points out, looking over at her daughter. “I know you don't like thinking that way, but it's true. I think this Jensen boy will be good for you. All you have to do is let it happen.”

“I'm scared mom.”

“Nothing to be scared of.” She smiles and winks at her daughter before turning her attention back to the wall in front of her. “So, what do you feel for him?”

“Everything. From the little we've talked, he seems like the sweetest man I have ever met. His heart is pure, even after his divorce. He's open to falling in love again and that has to be the best part. I don't know the details of the divorce, but I do know it was just as nasty as mine.”

“What happened?” Kristy asks, looking over at her daughter.

“I just said I don't know the details.” Sydney giggles before tossing the pail of water out the window, making sure to put enough force behind the toss so none of the water gets on the deck. “But that's besides the point. I'm just, he makes me feel happy whenever he's around. The hair on my arms stand straight, I get goosebumps whenever he's near me. When his hands rest on my back or my arms, I'm warm and light headed, but the second he takes his hand away, I feel the coldness of the absence and I crave the feeling again.”

“You're in love.” Kristy says softly, her eyes wide as she watched her daughter talk about her neighbor.

“No. I'm not in love.” Sydney shakes her head and carries the pail outside so it can dry while they eat.

“Then what do you call it?” Kristy pours the water from her pail in the front yard.

“I don't know. A crush, I guess.” Sydney shrugs and sits on the front steps. The warmth of the sun on her tanned skin reminding her of the warmth she feels when Jensen is near her.

“Pretty hardcore for a crush.” Kristy smiles, following her daughter. “What about when he sits so close that the two of you are practically connected at the hip?”

“I have to remind myself to breathe and focus on his words. Not how fuzzy he's made my head, or how warm my body is.”

“You're in love.” Her mother repeats, watching as the black pickup truck turns from the dirt road into her daughter's driveway. “Ask him on a date.”

“No. He's from Texas and hates that kind of stuff.”

“How do you know?”

“Jared was talking about it and Jensen says he'd much rather ask the girl out. Because if she asks him on a date, she'd be picking him up and paying for everything. Making it all backwards for him.” Sydney says, waving at her friends, who wave back. “So he just prefers to make the first move. And I have long since decided that I was going to let him do just that.”

“Do what? Make the first move?”

“Yep. And I know my answer when that happens too.”

“And that is?”

“If you know me so well, you'd know.” Sydney smiles at her mom before pushing herself up to stand.

“Daughter, you drive me crazy.” Kristy calls out, standing to walk inside.

“What did you do?” Jared asks, chuckling softly as he gets out of the truck, motioning for her to sit back down.

“Answered her questions.” Sydney shrugs, sitting back down.

“Not all of them!” Kristy calls out from where she is standing in the kitchen.

“Well, the answer to that question is yes!” Sydney replies, turning to face the house. “Happy?!”

“Very much so!” Kristy smiles as she walks out with four glasses and a pitcher full of cherry-limeade.

“What were you two talking about?” Jensen asks, walking over to sit besides Sydney, the left side of his body pasted against her right side.

Sydney shakes her head. “Usual mother-daughter things.”

“We were talking about our feelings.” Kristy smiles, handing him two glasses of the sparkling juice.

“Ew! Thank you for saving that for when Jared and I were away.” He smiles before turning to hand Sydney the second glass.

Smiling, Sydney takes the drink and sets it in front of her, handing Jensen his sandwich before taking her own. She stays silent while she eats, listening to Jared and Jensen joke around. Her mother joining in occasionally. Afternoons like this were always Sydney's favorite. Making memories with her new friends and her best friend. The man she is in love with sitting to her right, so close that their thighs, hips, and elbows are practically glued together. Even on a warm afternoon, she can't complain of the heat she feels passing between her skin.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

“Jensen, I'm going to start loading everything!” Jared calls into the house from the front deck.

“Alright! Just leave my paint can!” Jensen responds from where he is standing in the kitchen with Sydney.

“Sure thing.” Jared says before falling silent.

In fact, Sydney and Jensen stay quiet for a few minutes while they clean up the meal she and her mother prepared. When the last pan is placed in the drain-rack, Sydney dries her hands. Jensen smiles and finishes off his beer before tossing it into the trash can behind him.

“So, I was thinking...” He starts but trails off, running his hand over the back of his neck.

“I sure hope you didn't strain yourself in doing so.” Sydney jokes, putting the leftovers into the fridge.

“You're so funny.” Jensen fake glares at her before smiling. “No, but seriously.” He pauses, waiting for her to throw a witty comment back to him. When she stays silent, he continues. “What are you doing Friday night?”

“Um, watching paint dry?” She smiles, a fluttery feeling starting up in her stomach.

“Well, instead of watching paint dry, how would you like to come to Union County with me?” Jensen asks, his green eyes, looking up to meet Sydney's.

“What would we be doing there that is more fun than watching paint dry?”

“Getting dinner and watching a movie.” Sydney smiles widely, looking down at her bare feet knowing her face has started to heat up. “So, what do you say? Dinner and movie in Union better than watching paint dry?”

Sydney nods, looking up once she feels her face cooling down. “Dinner and a movie sounds so much better than watching paint dry.”

Jensen's smile takes up almost the entire lower half of his face. The creases surrounding his eyes showing up then deepening as the smile widens more. “Great! So, can I pick you up around 5?”

Sydney nods, resisting the urge to reach out and gently caress the smile lines surrounding Jensen's gorgeous green eyes. “5 sounds perfect. Just, please, if we're seeing a movie, nothing scary.”

“You don't like scary movies?” Jensen asks, learning something new about the young woman in front of her.

Sydney nods and shivers. “I scare so easily... And I live along in a big house... Not something I wish to mix together.”

“Okay. So nothing scary. Got it. Are you allergic to anything?”

“Oranges.”

“Really? That's random.” Jensen chuckles, leaning against the island behind him.

“I know, but it's true.”

“Wow. I'll be sure to remember that.” He smiles, crossing his arms over his chest.

“I still drink orange juice though.” She giggles seeing Jensen's eyes widen some. “I'm not the kind of allergic where my throat swells or anything like that. I just get itch bumps on my hands. Nothing serious.”

Jensen nods, shifting on his feet some. Sydney smiles as she watches him slide back into his shell before they both start laughing as Jared honks the trucks horn. This causes Jensen to look up at Sydney and smile. “I guess that is my sign to leave.” Jensen says before stepping forward and wrapping his arms around Sydney.

The smile that forms on Sydney's lips feels like it takes up the entire lower half of her face. Her arms wrap around Jensen's waist while his strong arms are secured around her. Neither of them let go for quite a while. The only thing that brings them back is the sound of the truck horn honking once again. The two pull away from one another and Jensen smiles down at Sydney. “I'll see you Friday then.”

Sydney nods and follows Jensen to the door. “Yeah. I forget that the two of you won't be here bright and early anymore.”

“I know, it's weird considering I will be going back to the store instead of here.” Jensen says as he walks down the porch, finishing the deck paint job as he leaves.

“Who am I going to cook for now?”

“Me.” Kristy says, coming up behind Sydney.

Sydney just rolls her eyes and smiles at her mother. “Payback for all of the nights you cooked for me?”

“You know it.” Kristy smiles before tossing and envelope to Jensen. “You split that with Jared, you here?”

Jensen raises an eyebrow and opens it. “Kristy, I can't take this.”

“You can and you will. I don't want to hear any refusal.”

Jensen sighs and pockets the envelope. “Thank you. That was very kind of you, considering we refused to let Sydney pay us.”

“I am not Sydney. So you're getting paid for the work you have done here.”

“Once again, thank you.” Jensen smiles, walking backwards to the truck. “So I'll see you ladies Friday night?”

“Why?” Kristy asks, obviously confused. “I thought your work was done.”

“He asked me out on a date.” Sydney smiles back to her mother then squeals as Kristy wraps her arms around her daughter. “Dear lord, mother!”

Sydney can hear Jensen and Jared's laughter from where they are in the truck. “Bye Sydney and Kristy!” They both yell, waving towards the house.

“Bye guys!” Sydney and her mother wave back before Sydney is dragged into the house.

“Sydney Marie, you give me every detail.”

“Detail of what?”

“When he asked you on a date!”

“Oh that?” Sydney plays modest as she walks into the kitchen to grab a bottle of water.

“Yes that! Child, if you do not tell me what happened-”

“No need to threaten me, mother. All he did was ask me what I was doing Friday. When I said 'watching paint dry' he asked me out. Nothing more to it.”

“Aw, young love. It must be the season.” Kristy says as she walks up the stairs. “I am going to get some grandchildren soon.” She smiles back at her daughter.

“Really, mom?”

“What? A mother can't dream? Neither of us are getting any younger.” Kristy laughs at her daughter's slacked jaw. “See you in the morning, darling. Don't stay up too late. We have stuff to do in the morning.”