Status: slow updates

Ice

Secrets Revealed

Ice

Today is the day of the girls' sectionals competition. 

And I've been frantic all morning. 

Kris, Henri, and Gui have been sitting at the kitchen table, watching me run around like a chicken with its head cut off. 

What a silly American phrase. 
Headless chickens. Eck. 

" Kris!! Wheres my-"

"-car keys? On the counter. "

I sighed, walking around the corner and grabbing them off the bar. 

I turned back to the boys. 
" I'll see you soon" I said, kissing Kris's cheek and I walked out the door. 

Hopping in my car, and cranking the engine, I pulled out of Kris' driveway, and out to the main road. 

I had moved out of my apartment yesterday and into Kris's house in Sewickley. 

I basically lived there anyway, so why not?
And Julia made enough money to pay for the rent on her own, so she let me leave without much arguing. 

At least not on my part. 

My phone rang and startled me, making me jump in my seat as I sped down the intestate toward downtown Pittsburgh. 

" Hello?" I asked, picking up the phone and only driving with one hand. 

" Aurelie! Are you almost here?" Julia asked over the line. 
I had asked her to pick up some coffees and meet me at the rink, but I was the one running late. 

I groaned," Yes! Yes! Ten minutes I swear. Tell the girls not to worry. Oh! And tell Danielle I remembered the grab and extra pair of tights because she ripped-"

" I know. I know. She knows. Just get here" She cut off my rambling. 

I sighed. 
" Alright. See you soon" I hung up and tossed my phone into the passenger seat. 

The world of professional figure skating is one of the most challenging fields. 

It is a passion that not only tests you physically, but emotionally and mentally as well. 

And I had given it all up years ago. 
So returning into the competitive arena was slightly mind-numbingly daunting. 

How will I handle this?
Did we practice enough?
Are the girls ready?
Will they crack under the pressure?
Do we stand a chance?

All of these questions ran through my mind and soon I found myself parking out front of the old Civic arena. 

I took one deep breath before climbing out of the car, grabbing my small bag with me and locking the doors. 

The cold air whipped around me and I pulled my jacket tighter, blocking the chill. 

Goosebumps ran up my legs under my yoga pants at the sight of a small group of photographers at the door, taking interviews with contestants and their coaches. 

I gulped, opting for the back door entrance. 

Sneaking in the back, I made my way down the familiar halls to the locker rooms where I knew they would be. 

" Aury! Finally!" Julia said, greeting me as I stepped in the doors. 

I nodded to her, taking a coffee out of her hands and scanning the crowd. 

" Sarah and Ashley are warming up on the ice. They're first for their division. Kelly, Rebecca, and Danielle are still changing. " Jules informed me. 

I nodded, walking through the people to the back of the room where I could see my three students. 

" Danielle!" I called, catching her attention as I pulled a fresh pair of rights out of my bag, handing them to her so she could finish changing. 

" Oh lord! Thanks Ms. Girad. You're a life saver!" she squealed, running off. 

Kelly and Rebecca stayed with me. 
As the two oldest, they competed last. 

" Ms. Girad?" Kelly asked. 

Usually very quiet, i looked down at her with wide eyes. 

" yes, Kelly?" 

She fidgeted, switching her weight from foot to foot. 
" I'm scared. I don't think i can do this. Theres so many people out there." 

Rebecca sighed," I already told you, Kell, you are so talented, you'll be fine. You're just psyching yourself out. "

I nodded," Becca's right. How about I tell you something, something my coach used to tell me?"

Kelly nodded. 

I sat down on the bench next to her. 
" Forget about the people. Forget about the judges. Just feel the ice under your feet and breathe. Win or loose- it does not matter. A trophy does not determine your worth. Only you can do that. " 

She smiled softly at me. 
" Thank you. "

The speaker system turned on, calling all contestants out to the rink. 

I felt my phone buzz. 

New Message
From: Kris
Message:
-We're here. Good luck. 

I smiled, sending a simple smiley face. 
" alright" I said, seeing Danielle making her way over, fully changed. 

" Show time"

##################

Watching my girls perform
Was nerve racking. 

Sara fell in her spin. 

Becca skid in her slide. 

Not quite a disaster, but bad enough to cut off vital points. 

" You did great!" I greeted Danielle as she returned from the ice. 

I helped her slip on her jacket as we waited for the results from the judges. 

The sign blinked. 

54.72

Everyone cheered and I hugged Dani. 

" That's great! You did so good! It's the highest all day!" I assured the 15 year old. 

She laughed, smiling big. 
" I'm so happy. Thank you for everything, Ms. Girad. "

I nodded, hugging her quickly as we walked back to the benches. 

At the end of the competition, Danielle placed Second, an Kelly came in fourth. 

None of the other girls placed, but I could tell they were still proud. 
And that's all I could hope for. 

##############

" Is it always like that?" Kris exclaimed as we walked hand in hand out the doors. 

I chuckled," What do you mean?"

" That...intense! I swear! It was worse than a Philly game!"

I laughed, and then groaned.
" Merde"

Kris looked around. " What? What is it? Qu'est que ce?"

I nodded over to the end of the sidewalk. 

Reporters. 
Kris squeezed my hand with a small smile as encouragement. 

" Ms. Girad! Ms Girad!"
" Ms. Girad!" "Aurelie!!" they yelled, seeing me approaching. 

I shot Kris a nervous look. 

We reached the reporters and I stopped, prepared for the invasion. 

" Ms. Girad! Victoria, Ice International, how are you? What's tour response to the judging?" one woman asked, shoving a microphone in my face and a camera man turned his lens to me. 

" I'm good. And I'm proud. My
Girls did well, and they couldn't be happier. We trained hard for this day, and I'm pleased with the results. " I answered. 

" What have you been doing since your accident in Berlin? Do you plan to return to the competitive circuit?"

I took a deep breath. 
" I've been relaxing. Taking it easy. And then I came here to America to begin coaching. 
No. I don't plan to ever compete again. My skating days are over. I only put on skates for uh- whats the word...recreation, now." 

Lights flashed and I had to blink quickly to get rid of the spots in my vision. 

" Are you and Mr. Letang involved in a romantic relationship?" one man asked. 

I looked to Kris, who had his arm wrapped around my waist. 

He cleared his throat. 
" Aurelie and I have been dating for months. We live together now in Sewickley." he informed. 

More flashes. 

" Aurelie! Do you have a comment regarding your father's corporation in Paris?"

Kris look confused, and I stuttered, unaware thy was even a topic. 

" My fathers company and it's assets are being controlled by Michel Mirielle, president of the board of directors for Girad Inc. I have no say opinion of his decisions."

" Are you aware of Mr. Mirielle's plans to disassemble and liquidate your father's corporation?"

I frowned," No. I was unaware."

" what about your parents accident in the Alps? Have you and your brother gained control over the family fortune?"

I felt my cheat tighten at the mention of the crash. 
" Yes, uhm. Henri and I received complete control in their will. I- excuse me, I can't, uhm-"

I suddenly walked off toward the parking lot, dragging Kris with me. 

" Aury! Aury! Slow down. Ma Belle, please! Calm down!" He exclaimed. 

I stopped suddenly, tears welling in my eyes.

" Are you alright, Aury?" he asked quietly, holding my face in his palms. 

I pulled away. " I'm fine. Let's just go. I don't wish to speak of it. "

Kris sighed," No. "

I looked up at him. 
" Pardon-Moi?"

His eyes narrowed. " I said No. We're going to talk about this. I refuse to let you shut me out again. "

I huffed," There is nothing to say, Kristopher! What do you wish to hear?!" I yelled, leaning against my car. 

He frowned, licking his lips. 
" How do you feel? I saw you get upset at their questions...they're just nosy reporters, Aury. Ignore them. "

I raised an eyebrow," I know. I know. And I was upset. I don't like to speak of Michel Mirielle or the company or the crash...it makes me uncomfortable. "

He wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me off the car and pressed against him. 
" I think you and Henri need to have a talk, let it all out. And you need to tell him some things, ma belle, or else you'll never move on. "

I nodded, placing my head on his chest, snuggling into his warmth. 
" How do I begin? What do I say?" I inquired.

Kris may be quiet, and reserved at time, but if there's anything other than hockey he's good at, it's words. 

Kris smiled," Just be honest. Tell him. Start from the beginning."

I groaned," Alright. I will. Let's get home. Henri and Gui are waiting for us. They want to go out to dinner. "

Kris nodded, climbing in the drivers side of my car as I slid in the passenger seat. 

I handed him the keys and he cranked the engine. 

" Where should we go?"

I pondered. " How about Medici's? I'm in the mood for Italian."

He nodded, pulling out his phone to call in for a table as we pulled out of the parking lot. 

I sent a text to Henri. 

>Get dressed. We're going out to this Italian place. Kris and I are swinging by to change and we're leaving right after. 

A few minutes later I receive his response. 

> K

I rolled my eyes. 

So lazy he can't use proper grammar. 

" I have a game tomorrow night. Will you come?" Kris asked. 

I nodded," Against who?"

He turned into the subdivision in Sewickley. 
" San Jose. "

I nodded.
" Alright...I'm going to wait until later to tell Henri. I don't want him to blow up at the restaurant." 

He nodded, chuckling," Oui. Good idea. " he said, reaching over the entwine out fingers and kiss the back of my hand. 

When he pulled into the driveway and parked, I quickly hopped out and started walking up the pathway. 
" Go get dressed. Quick!" Kris laughed, reaching down the smack me on the ass. 

I squealed, jumping, and running into the house, hearing his laughter behind me. 

" Henri! We're back! Hurry up and get dressed!" I yelled as I ran down the hall into Kris and my's bedroom. 

I tossed off my clothes and slipped into a cute blue dress. 

I was looking at my closet for a certain pair of shoes when I heard the door open. 

" Kris? Have you seen my black heels? The ones with the ankle strap?" I called, thinking he walked in to grab something. 

When he had gotten in he went straight to the shower, bringing his clothes with him. 

There was no response. 

I sighed, getting up and turning around. 

" Kris-"

It wasn't Kris. 

Henri stood there, a sad, shocked look on his face. 
" Whats wrong?" I asked, walking up closer to him. 

Henri moved away from me,"I'm so disappointed in you."

His words made me freeze, my heart racing. " What? Henri! What are you talking about?"

" Gui told me. " he seethed. 

My heart stopped. 
Oh god. 

" What did he say?" I whispered. 

Henri scoffed," Oh, just all about what you did when I went to college. Drugs? Really, Leelee? How could you?! And the drinking, and the parties- I-I can't even begin to think...." 

Henri pulled at his hair with both hands. 
" And to have my best friend tell me all about it! To not be able to hear it from your lips, after all these years!!" he screamed. 

I heard the shower cut off in the bathroom. 

" Henri-" I choked, tears dripping down my face," I'm sorry. I'm sorry I didn't tell you. I wanted to! I swear! I planned to tell you tonight! I promise. I never wanted to keep it from you. And with Gui- it was a mistake, I swear! I never meant any of it! But he used me, Henri! He tricked me, I didn't realize until-"

" What?" his voice was deadly. 
Cold. 

He didn't know. 
Gui didn't tell him everything. 
Shit fuck. 

I gulped," Gui and I, we-"

" When?" he cut me off, not meeting my eyes. I saw him clench his fists, white knuckling. 

I sobbed, falling to my knees at his feet," I was 16, I didn't know any better. Gui started it all. He got me addicted. He supplied all the drugs. Please. You have to believe me!"

The bathroom door opened and I saw Kris standing there, dressed only in a towel around his waist, hair dripping wet. 

He looked at us, shocked. 
" What's going on?"

Henri screamed in anger, charging out the door. 

I scrambled to my feet, still crying as I ran after him. 

" Henri! No! Don't!" I screamed, following his bulky figure down the hall as he searched out Gui. 

I heard Kris running after us, confused. 
" Aury, what's going on?" he asked, pulling on my arm. 

I shook my head, pulling away. 

Gui stood leaning against the couch, smirked when he saw the three of us. 
" Are you finally ready to-"

I screamed as Henri punched him straight in the face, knocking him to the floor. 

The two fell down, rolling around, throwing hits. 

" You corrupted my sister you bastard! My baby sister!!" Henri screamed, throwing hit after hit. 

Gui laughed, managing to land a hit on Henri, climbing to his feet. 

He wiped the blood off his face, grinning. 
" Oui. Yes. I did. An' it was good. She put put like a pro, screaming and moaning my name. Pretty good fo' a kid."

Henri pulled himself up, seething. 
" You're a sick bastard, Guilliame. I trusted you to look aft' her when I left. An' you did that!! She was jus' a girl, G. And you used 'er! How many times. 'ow long?!? He huffed. 

I looked back to Kris, who stood there with wide eyes. 

" Six months" I whispered. 

Henri closed his eyes, glaring at his once friend. 

" That money I sent you? Please, what was it for? That time you begged me for money, crying, what was it for?!!" 

But his eyes were sure. He knew. He just wanted me to say it. 

" An abortion. " I said quietly, standing awkwardly. 

Henri collapsed on the couch, holding his face in his hands, wide shoulders shaking with his tears. 

" Go away, G. Go home. And stay clear away from me. "

G rolled his eyes, grabbing his bag off the floor, slamming the door on his way out. 

I looked over at Kris who sat in the leather recliner, still in his towel, jaw clenched, staring at the floor. 

" Kris?"

His eyes snapped to me, and I saw just how sad he looked. 
But he didn't say anything, just shook his head, getting up and walking back to our room. 

I sighed, sitting next to Henri on the couch. 

He wrapped me in his arms, sniffing. 
" I'm sorry." I whispered. 
He shook his head," No. I am. I left you with him. I let him destroy you...is there anything else? Anything I should know?" he asked quietly, looking into my eyes. 

I nodded slowly," Yes. Just one thing. "

Henri braced himself, ready for the blow. 

" When you were gone," I began," I was admitted into the hospital...G had beat me, and he rape me, left me to die in a warehouse, and Mario saved me. He found me, and helped me. and I hated him for it.

Henri gulped," Why?" he rasped. " Mario is like a father to us. Why did you hate him? If he save you,"

I looked at the ground, "Because I wanted to die, Henri . I wanted to die there, so I could hurt anymore. So I wouldn't have to face you. And Papa. I hated him because he wouldn't let me. "

Henri just sat there, silent. 
" Just leave me, Leelee. I need to think. " 

I nodded, getting up. 
" I love you, Henri. Don't forget that. And I never wanted to hurt you." 

I walked slowly down the hall to the bedroom. 

Opening the door, I saw Kris sitting on the bed, dressed in a tshirt and boxers. 

He looked up at me. 
" Where you going to tell me? That it was him?"

I nodded, wringing my hands. 
" I was. I swear. I just couldn't say it."

Kris stood up," And a baby? You were pregnant? An you killed it?" he hissed, eyes wide. 

I whimpered," I was 16, Kris. I didn't have any other option. I couldn't keep it. And if you ask- yes. I regret it. Every day."

Kris wrapped his arms around me. " You want a baby? You want a family?"

I nodded," Yes. I do. "

Kris leaned down to kiss me. 
" Then let's have one. "

I pulled away, shocked. 
" What?"

He smiled," Lets do it, Aury. Let's have a baby!"

I shook my head," You-You're crazy! We've only been dating four months. We're not married, we can't have a baby!"

Kris rose an eyebrow. 
" Do you love me?"

I blushed, nodding. 
" I do. I love you. So much. "

He grinned, brushing the hair out of my face. 
" Do you want to marry me?"

I sighed," Eventually. Yes. Of course. "

" Then let's do it. Now. "

I frowned," Now? Like now, now?"

Kris nodded, smiling wider, shaking my shoulders lightly. 
" Yes! Let's go to the courthouse. Right now. It closes in two hours. We'll get married, and we'll have lots
Of babies,  and I'll make you so happy. So happy, Aury. And we'll be the family you always wanted. Let's do it, ma Belle. Let's do it. "

I was crying at the end of his speech. 
What did I ever do to deserve this amazing, loving man?
What did I do to earn this?
He's way too good. Too forgiving. Too special. 

" You're crazy. This is crazy...YES! Let's go! I'll get Jules to meet us there, I'll convince Henri to come. Just us four. "

Kris scooped me up in his arms, laughing as we kissed again and again as again. 

" What's going on?" I heard Henri ask. 

We turned to see him slumped against the door, frowning. 

I smiled, " Henri, we're getting married! Right now! Let's go!"

His eyes widened," Sacre Bleu"