Status: finished.

Slightly Bruised and Broken From Our Head on Collision

And This Time I'll Make You Proud

Two days later and Jack is back on his feet. The snow has made everything pure and soft and the dusting that came this morning covers any imperfections that were there before. Rian’s insisting we practice again and choose between Alex and Jack for Girl’s a Straight-Up Hustler. Apparently I’m singing Iris alone which is news to me, but I go along with it. I make Jack wear two hoodies under his coat before we leave to get to Rian’s and he complains. Loudly. Taylor rolls his eyes and pull Jack’s hat down over his eyes. Jack sticks out his bottom lip and tries to storm out, but the hat gets in the way and he ends up walking straight into me.

When we get there Rian has put blankets everywhere and plugged in about 20 portable radiators. I frown slightly and Rian shrugs.

“I didn’t want to get cold.” I laugh gently and we start getting equipment. I smile as Taylor passes me my guitar lead and turns on the amp. He then turns and slots Alex’s mic into its stand kissing him as he does so. Alex smiles widely and kisses him back and I turn away and pretend to vomit. Zack catches my eye and grins before plugging his bass into the amp beside him. And we’re ready. I raise an eyebrow at Alex and he thinks.

“Iris or Girl’s a Hustler first?” Rian sighs.

“Probably Girl’s a Hustler, just to get you two to stop arguing.” I laugh and Taylor laughs with me. Jack and Alex snort loudly at the same time. Jack looks at Alex and smirks.

“This is war.” Alex mutters and Jack just raises an eyebrow. Rian has the smart idea of making them take turns to sing it with only one microphone between them. When they start playing I start to wonder whether this is a good idea. Alex starts.

Lipstick has a way of leaving more than just a mark on my sheets
Colouring my senses, cherry red at least for this week.
Jack leans against the mic and closes his eyes.
Kisses under starry night skies songs about in love we sing along
So bitter sweet by our design.
He pushes the microphone away and Alex catches it and smirks.
And I’m sick and tired of writing songs about you.
This is it this is the end.
They sing together and it harmonies quite well.
Take off your make up and put down the camera
Some of that shine yeah it makes me want to
Tear of some pictures they’re making you sad
Leading your life of sex and make believe.
They skip a verse to speed things up and Alex sings a line.
Carry on home; I’ll be waiting miles and miles away.
Jack takes over.
Leaving you to be forever seventeen and cleaning up the messes that you made.
They play the last chords with their foreheads pressed together.

Everyone claps and after a moment Rian makes everyone vote. When he says Jack’s name Jack’s hand shoots up and I roll my eyes before putting my hand up to. To my surprise Zack raises his hand as well and Rian counts. When Rian says Alex’s name Alex’s and Taylor’s hands go up in sync. Rian rolls his eyes and puts his hand up as well. He sighs.

“It’s a draw. Looks like you’re just going to have to do the same again where you both...” he trails off and waves his hand. “sing.” He concludes. I glance at Jack and he seems kind of happy so I just leave it. Jack walks over and grabs a Mountain Dew out of the cupboard and smiles. He raises one to me and I nod and catch as he throws it at me.

After a couple of minutes Taylor gently reminds everyone that we haven’t done Iris yet.

“Why thank you Taylor” I say deadpan. “I mean I’ve always wanted to sing alone in front of 5 of my peers.” Jack and Rian snort loudly and Alex punches my shoulder. Taylor raises an eyebrow and Zack just chuckles slightly. I roll my eyes before standing alone in front of the mic. I take a breath and let Rian count me in. I let Alex and Jack do the guitar parts for this bit and leave my guitar in the corner with Taylor.

And I’d give up forever to touch you, ‘cause I know that you feel me somehow
You’re the closest to heaven that I’ll ever be and I don’t want to go home right now
And all I can taste is this moment, and all I can feel in your life
‘cause sooner or later it’s over, I just don’t wanna miss you tonight.

And I don’t want the world to see me, ‘cause I don’t think that they’d understand
When everything’s meant to be broken, I just want you to know who I am.

And you can’t fight the tears that ain’t coming, or the moment of truth in your lies
When everything feels like the movies, yeah you bleed just to know you’re alive.

And I don’t want the world to see me, ‘cause I don’t think that they’d understand
When everything’s meant to be broken, I just want you to know who I am.

And I don’t want the world to see me, ‘cause I don’t think that they’d understand
When everything’s meant to be broken, I just want you to know who I am
And I don’t want the world to see me, ‘cause I don’t think that they’d understand yeah
When everything’s meant to be broken, I just want you to know who I am
I just want you to know who I am.

The last note trails away and I open my eyes. I’m surprised to see that Jack has tears in his eyes and Alex looks confused when he notices. Rian bounces up and grins at us.

“We did gooood.” He says with a massive grin.
♠ ♠ ♠
hey guys, updating. ALMOST DONE.

it's a bit of a sudden ending i just realized, and i might have to do an epilogue to tie some ends, but i'll get to then when it happens.

thank youuu<3