Killjoy Lips

Dr. Deathdefying

Of course. Of course I had to accidentally shoot a hole in the car. Of course I had to almost accidentally kill Party Poison. Sometimes I’m more dangerous than Dracs trying to kill us -.- . We stopped on the road to eat. They guys sat on the hood of the car. I found duct tape, so I decided to cover up the hole.

“What are you doing?” Party Poison came up to while I was taping the hole

“Fixing it”

“NOT WITH THAT! it’ll look like shit!”

“So! What if it rains?”

“It hasn’t rained here in years” he pressed

“You never know” I said continuing patching the hole

Once I was done I ate one of the sandwiches we got from the garage. I sat next to Kobra Kid on the hood. Party Poison was smoking, and Fun Ghoul and Jet Star were playing a card game.

“So who’s this Grace little girl that came up to me?” I asked Kobra

“Oh” he laughed “The cutest kid ever, she goes with us sometimes, she ALWAYS gets into trouble. Why? Did she say something to embarrass us?”

“Kinda”

“Well that’s Grace for ya”

I laughed.

“She’s the only person that can get Party Poison to smile” he whispered

I looked at Party, he was still smoking looking at the horizon.

“Well he sure needs to get laid or something” I said quietly

Kobra cracked up. Party looked at us and we immediately stopped laughing. I looked away nonchalantly.

“Lets go guys” Part said stomping out his cigarette

We all got in the car and started driving again.

“Just where exactly are we going?” I asked

“To Dr. Deathdefying” Party said

“Wait, no one knows where he is though”

“WE do” Kobra said

“Then after that we head to Battery City” Party said

Oh great. I just got away from that horrible place and now we’re going into the heart of it. I was actually interested to meet Dr. Deathdefying. He was always on the radio giving inspiration and power to everyone to pull through these bad times. He is thought of almost as a leader of the Killjoys, an unseen leader. But he didn’t know what I knew. Maybe once we get to where he is I’ll tell them what I know. Why they tried to kill me.

“What are you thinking about so intently?” Kobra asked snapping me out of my daze

“Nothing” I said looked in the rear view mirror. I saw Party’s face. His eyes, they drew me in.

I had to admit, he was hot. But he was a total ass hole to me. The more I thought about Party the more I wanted to know why he is the way he is. It’s only curiosity. I didn’t want to ask Kobra or anyone why though, I wanted to find out for myself. After about an hour we drove up to what looked like almost a shack. We stopped the car about a hundred yards from it. Party got out of the car and so did Kobra. The rest of us followed. They loaded their guns. They took mine away -.- .

“Here” Party turned to me handing me my gun

I sighed and took it from him. We approached the shack cautiously. Party Poison knocked on the door.

“Who is it?” a voice came

“The Fabulous Killjoys” Party said

“Hah, unlikely”

The door opened slowly. A gun was in Party Poisons face. He just stood there unafraid of the gun in his face. I was scared for him, extremely worried.

“Hah, it is you!” the man laughed he lowered his gun

He had curly hair and a beard. He wore sunglasses too.

“Long time no see Party” he held out his hand. Party took it, the man pulled him into a half hug.

“Come in come in” he said moving from the doorway.

Once we were inside he closed the door. The shack was larger than I thought. I notice a table with a microphone on it.

“Have a seat” he said specifically to me since there was only one chair

After everyone was standing around for a minute the man spoke up.

“So what brings you here? And who is this young lady?” he looked at me

“We need maps and other things” Party said

“Maps? I got maps, what do you want a map of?”

“Battery City”

“OK, I got that what else?”

“And maps of the surrounding zones” Party said

“Pshhh I have maps of everything” he said walking to a cabinet. He ruffled through some papers. He pulled out several different papers

“Here” he handed the papers to Party Poison “Now who’s this?” he asked referring to me again

“Liz” I said holding out my hand. He shook it

“I’m Dr. Deathdefying”

To my surprise, I wasn’t shocked it was him.

“If you don’t mind me asking, was your father Rick?”

My heart stopped it felt like it was snaking its way to my throat. I thought I was going to cry.

“Y-yes”

“He’s a good man, he was my friend, gee I haven’t seen him in years, how is he?”

I couldn’t bring myself to answer. My heart was still in my throat.

“Ummm………..I---excuse me” I said getting up. I made my way towards the door. I opened the door and shut it behind me. I needed a few moments alone.

I sat there looking at the horizon. I heard something behind me, I looked. It was Party Poison. He had a cigarette in his mouth. He leaned against the wall a few feet away from me. I heard him light a match.

“They killed him because he knew what you know didn’t they?” he said

I nodded holding my head in my hands running my fingers through my hair.

“You know, it does get better”

“What does?”

“Everything, you may not see or feel it yet but it does”

“How would you know?” I asked softly trying not to sound snooty

“Because…………..when I was a teenager my parents were killed. Leaving me and my brother to fend for ourselves. You just gotta find something to live for to keep your mind off the past”

Now I know. I felt bad for him.

“What do you live for?” I asked

“I haven’t quite figured that out yet, I mean I have my brother, my friends, and Grace, but there’s something else, a missing piece”

I just looked at him. He came over and sat next to me. His close presence felt magnetizing. I want to get closer.

I sighed “I’m not cut out for this, I can’t finish what my dad started, I can’t even fight off a couple of Dracs” I said

“So? At least you’re trying, you don’t have to be some bad ass assassin to get shit done”

“That’s the thing though! I haven’t done anything but run”

“Well you were willing to go with us, willing to come out here” he said

He was right.

“You do know you have to tell us why they are after you right?” he said

“I know” I sighed

He stood up. He held out his hand. I grabbed it and he helped me up. We walked back inside.

“Who wants coffee!?” Dr. Deathdefying said

We drank the burnt coffee Dr. Deathdefying made for us. He helped load up the car with some various weapons and supplies. I watched Party's every move when he wasn’t looking. I felt strangely more attracted to him now. Now that he was nice to me for once.