Cold as Ice

Two

I tried to think of some reason to get out of dinner on the drive there, but it was only a short drive before Sidney was parking in front of a steak house. “You know Crosby I’m not really that hungry.” It was a weak attempt but it was better than nothing.

“You could get a salad or something small,” he offered. “I also don’t have any food in the apartment,” he added the real reason that I would have to sit through dinner with Nick Staal.

“You know if you are going to be living with a teenage girl you’re going to have to buy some food, right?” I asked.

“Yes I know. We can go shopping tomorrow, but for right now this is our only option unless you don’t want to eat.” It seemed like he was getting annoyed, but it was something he would have to get used to now.

“Oh sassy Sidney,” I teased before getting out of the car. The Staals were waiting outside already and Sidney and Jordan exchanged quick greetings before walking into the restaurant. I went to follow behind them, but a tugging on my wrist stopped me.

“Tara, can we talk for a minute?” he asked awkwardly.

“We already are,” I pointed out.

“Right, well I was hoping we could just put what happened earlier behind us. Start over maybe, since we are going to be seeing a lot of one another.” He gave me a 100-watt smile that was undoubtedly supposed to make me melt. I wasn’t buying into it at all though.

“I don’t think that’s possible. I believe first impressions are very important. They really say a lot about who people really are. Also I know why you are really doing this.” I wasn’t going to make this easy for him.

“Yeah? If you’re so sure about why I’m doing this then why don’t you fill me in.” I could tell that I was getting to him. The strain for him to keep calm was clearly visible.

“You don’t want to be on bad terms with Sidney Crosby’s daughter. You’re afraid that I’ll tell Sidney and he’ll make things harder for you on the team. Am I right?” I asked but the look on his face told me that I was.

“Come on it’s not just that. I just don’t want to start out with bad feelings between us.” His smile softened but I still wasn’t buying it.

“Don’t worry I’m not going to go crying to Crosby because the big bad hockey player was mean to me,” I teased him and his expression made it all worth it. I laughed before tapping his arm and walking away from him and into the restaurant.

By the time I walked over to the both where Crosby and Jordan were sitting Nick had recovered and was right behind me. I took the spot next to Sidney while he sat across from me next to Jordan. Sidney looked at me and I could tell he already had questions his mind, but I just ignored him and picked up the plastic coated menu in front of me.

It was Jordan that spoke first taking my attention from the menu in my hands. “So Tara, tell me a little bit about yourself.”

“Do you really want to know? Or are you just asking because Crosby can’t, since fathers are supposed to know this stuff.” I noticed Sidney tense up next to me but Jordan just let out an amused chuckle.

“Both,” he replied with a smile. I looked towards Sidney who just looked guilty and decided I could give a few small details.

“There the usual stuff, I’m 18 and a senior in high school. I’m not exactly thrilled to be moving part way through senior year, but there’s nothing I can do about it.” I could tell Sidney was looking at me but I kept my focus on Jordan as he nodded his head. “So far Pittsburg seems ok, the first person I met was Nick.” I glanced over at Nick to see him squirm. I wasn’t going to rat him out to Jordan and Crosby, but I wasn’t against giving him a hard time. “And he made a lovely first impression. I also hope to go to Northeastern University next year. Questions?”

“No I’m good for now Jordan responded.” He seemed to be in thought for a moment before speaking again. “Sid you should take Tara to the Boston game with us. Nick was in juniors with a kid from the Bruins. We could see if he would be interested in giving her a tour of the City.”

“Well I’m fine with that but it’s up to Tara,” Sidney replied turning the attention of the group to me.

“Yeah, that actually sounds pretty great.”

“Well don’t seem so surprised,” Jordan told me and I laughed before turning my attention to the menu.

After ordering the three of them got caught up in hockey talk. There was a good and bad side to this. The positive was I didn’t have to add a lot to the conversation, they were able to keep going with minimal involvement from me. The negative part was that I became increasingly bored as time went on. The conversation however faded out once the food had arrived. The three of them focused their attention on shoveling as much food as they could into their mouths as if it would disappear if they left in on their plates for even a second more. I rolled my eyes before turning to the chicken sandwich in front of me.

It didn’t take too long for us to all be done with our food and too my relief the check had just been placed on the table. Sidney reached out for it, but Jordan snagged it off the table before Sidney even touch the bill. “I got this Sid,” Jordan told him.

“You don’t have to do that,” Sidney protested, but Jordan just shook his head in protest.

“It’s the least I could do after you invited us out with your lovely daughter,” Jordan replied. He winked at me before he placed his credit card in with the check and signaled the waitress over. Once she was carrying it away there was nothing left for Sidney to do.

“Thanks man,” he said grudgingly. It didn’t take long for the waitress to come back to the table to have Jordan sign the receipt. Once that was taken care of we left the table to go our separate ways. Before we left the restaurant Jordan stopped me.

“Nice to meet you Tara,” he said with a smile. “Don’t give Sid too much hell, the man means well.”

“I’ll see what I can do, but no promises,” I replied.

“I guess that’s fair. See you later.” With that he walked over to his car where Nick was waiting and I went to join Sidney. When I got in the car I went to turn the radio on but Crosby stopped me.

“Wait Tara there’s something I need to say first.”

I paused with my hand half way towards the power button. “Precede, Crosby.” I dropped my hand and turned to look at him. He looked like he was trying to find the right words.

“I think it’s best if you stay away from Nick Staal,” he said awkwardly. I raised my eyebrows in shock totally unprepared for this topic.

“What?”

“Well, I just don’t think he would be good for you. Trust me I know guys like Nick the league is full of them and I don’t want you getting hurt.” His genuine concern caught me off guard. It definitely wasn’t what I expected from this man I barely knew my entire life.

“Crosby you don’t have to worry about that. I can take care of myself, I’m used to it,” I tried to shrug his comments off.

“Ok, if you say so, it’s just that you and him were outside together for awhile before you came into the restaurant.”

“Trust me, that was nothing.” Well it was something, but like I said to Nick I wasn’t going to rat him out to Sidney at the first chance I got. Holding this over Nick’s head would be much more entertaining.

“If you say so, but just be careful.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok I really have to get back to school so theres's some really minimal editing going on. But seriously you guys are awesome I'm so glad people are liking this story so far. Special thanks to carcrashhearts for commenting and I apologize to the two people who commented before the crash because the comments were deleted and I don't remember your your usernames, but you're still awesome!