Cold as Ice

Three

I had the weekend to get unpacked and settled into Pittsburgh, but by Monday I had to take my first step towards life here. I had to start school. I was only two months into my senior year, but I was already starting all over.

I had woken up early but Sidney was already up and moving around the small kitchen in his apartment. “Hey, do you want any breakfast? Eggs? Pancakes? Toast?” he asked. He looked eager to do something. I just assumed he was unsure what to do when sending me off for my first day of school, since he missed my actual first day of school.

“Toast is fine, Crosby.” I said while sitting down at the kitchen counter. I rested my head on my hand wishing I could just crawl back into my bed and pretend I was still in Canada.

“That’s for the best. I’m not good at making eggs or pancakes,” he explained.

“Dear god Crosby you are a piece of work.” I lifted my head up briefly to roll my eyes.

“Well you’re stuck with me kid,” he responded placing a plate of toast in front of me. “Now what do you want on your toast? Butter, jelly or peanut butter?”

“What are the chances you’re hiding Nutella in this apartment somewhere?” I asked.

“Not good but I can get some today,” Crosby said he looked like he was focusing hard. I couldn’t deny that he really was trying.

“Thanks, Crosby. Peanut butter will be fine for today.”

While I finished getting ready for the morning Sidney gave me my space and I was extremely great full for that. I wasn’t exactly a morning person, so the fewer people tried to talk to me in the morning the happier I was. It didn’t take me long to get ready and soon I was being ushered into Sidney’s car. I tried to protest but he insisted that he needed to drive me to school for my first day. In the end I had to admit that I had no idea where I was going. Even though it was part way through my senior year, I still needed my ‘daddy’ to drive me to school.

“Good luck at school today,” Crosby said.

“That’s what your chosing, good luck?” I asked surprised.

“Yes, I figured have a great day would be a little too over ambitious,” he said with a slight laugh at the end.

“Good move, Crosby. You might just be learning after all,” I joked. My hand was on the door handle and I was about to make my escape when something made me pause. “Umm thanks for the ride,” with that I really did leave the car. I took a deep breathe while taking in my surroundings before throwing myself to the wolves.

The school itself wasn’t that different. It had the standard lockers and fluorescent lightbulbs, before I could take in anymore about the school some girl tried to get my attention.

“Hi!” The girl in front of me was wearing some tight shorts and an equally tight and low cut Pittsburgh Pennguins v-neck. Just looking her caused me to roll my eyes but either she didn’t notice or she just didn’t care. “I’m Ashley!” This girl had only said three words to me, but the way everything she said sounded like an exclamation was getting on my nerves.

“Good for you Ashley. You must be very proud but I have places to be.” I tried to brush her off but Ashley stopped me.

"So, how do you know Sidney Crosby?” she questioned. The reason behind her persistence became clear to me and I internally cringed. This was just one of the many reasons I had dreaded coming here.

“Oh you know we’re just BFFs,” I said in a fake voice.

“Really? Do you think you could introduce me?” Her enthusasm sent yet another wave of disgust through me. He was infact old enough to old enough to be her father.

Before I could voice my disgust somebody else beat me to it. “Puck slut,” a male voice said between fake caughs. I let out a laugh while mentally thanking this third person.

As I choked on my laugh Ashley continued to look at me expectantly. “That’s a no. I’m not interested in being friends with anyone who just wants to use me to get to know Sidney Crosby.” She walked away in a huff and I turned my attention to the guy that had interviened earlier.

He had already turned away to put his stuff away in his locker so I tapped his shoulder to get his attention. He looked confused when he turned around so I spoke before he could.

“Hi. I’m Tara and you don’t know me yet but we’re going to be friends.” I know I probably sounded insane, but that had never stopped me before.

“Hey?” His green eyes under his shaggy dark brown hair looked confused, but I didn’t let that defer me.

“What’s your name?” I questioned.

“It’s Owen, and why exactly are we going to be friends?” He seemed to have already recovered from his shock.

“Nice to meet you Owen,” I said holding out my hand for him to shake, which he did after giving me another strange look. “I’ve only been here for a short time but so far you are the only person who doesn’t make we want to puke by just looking at you.”

“Well it’s not necessarily fair when the first person you meet is Ashley,” he explained. “Why was she bugging you anyways? Something about Sidney Crosby?”

“Please tell me you aren’t in love with the man too,” I almost pleaded. I just needed one person, that’s it, to be able to hang out with and not have to question their motives.

“Definitely not,” he said quickly but not defensively. “Honestly he’s a bit over rated and I’m more of a Flyers man myself.”

“In that case you should probably know that Sidney Crosby is my dad.”

“Oh sorry I didn’t mean to offend you or anything,” he backtracked.

“Don’t worry about. I respect the honesty. Besides what are friends for if you can’t share your opinions?”

“You’re not going to drop this friends things are you?” he asked as if he had just realized that I was serious this whole time.

“You are correct, Owen. From here on out you are stuck with me, you have no choice.” I started to go through my messenger bag once I had finished my statement.

“Lucky me,” he said sarcastically.

“Don’t worry you’ll learn to love me. But first things first you need to help me with my schedule.” I held the crumpled paper I had just pulled out of my bag out to him. He paused for a minute. I could tell he was weighing his options. While he could walk away right now I wouldn’t give up. Either he knew that or he actually wanted to try to be friends. Whatever his reasons he reached out to take my schedule and look it over.
♠ ♠ ♠
Obligatory first day of school chapter but hopefully it's a little different. Sorry for the long pause between updates but I'm not really doing anything with my life right now so they should speed up. Thank you to hockeychick37 for commenting. I really appreciate all of you who read this. Until next time comment, rate and subscribe. <3