Status: New story. Should be out soon. :)

Sugar Rush

16

Allison and Sidney’s lives and relationship didn’t get easier after Allison’s outburst, if anything it got worse. Reports constantly hung around the shop in hopes to see her and him together. With Sidney’s skill in avoiding in the media everywhere outside the arena they never got the chance. It seemed to make things worse after a months. The little woman who’d insulted her and the man who’d forced the microphone under nose were the worst of the group. Allison was ready to pull her hair out as the season was winding down. It didn’t help that she had Lorain in her ear about the possibility that Jordon would be traded. Sidney wasn’t exactly a peace to deal with either as they got closer and closer to the playoffs. She supported him the best she could without offering cupcakes or lemon squares and hoped that she wasn’t just stoking the fire that burned in him every time they lost- or even won with the cup growing closer and closer.

Then it happened. The Penguins were eliminated. They’d gone down swinging but it didn’t seem to be enough and Sidney was the epitome of a dark cloud trying to find its own silver lining. Lorain followed the same pattern when Jordon announced he’d be going to the Hurricane’s. That was her current reality: Sidney was brooding mess, Lorain as terrified mess the best relationship she’d ever had was about to vanish, and a hound of reports bothering her every time she stepped into public.

Sighing she frosted several cupcakes and put them in the box before out the delivery window. She wasn’t paying attention to anything as she tried to focus on what it was she was doing. Business, as always, was booming, and there was no time to waste.

“Incoming!”

She barely registered the yelling of incoming as she went to frosted more cupcakes. Sucking in a deep breath she let it out to calm her nerves. She felt is she was a cartoon character the little line that indicates stress would be pricking off her entire body in a messy fashion.

“Ma’am you got a visitor.”

“Busy.” She called at the yell. Turning she squeaked as she slammed straight into someone. Stumbling backwards she gripped their massive arms as their massive hands gripped her arms as well. It was the slightly girlish laugh that told her who it was.

Her head snapped up to look at Sidney standing there in a simple jeans and t-shirt, a wide smile across his features. It’d been a few months since she’d seen the goofy grin. Staring at him confused she took a step back pointing at him and watched his brows go up amused.

“Two things: One…who are you and what have you done with Sidney?” His brows narrowed. “He’s been Mr. brooding rain cloud of doom for the past couple of weeks…” she added. He nodded, crossing his arms he watched her carefully. “Two: Really who are you and what have you done with Sid cause he wouldn’t walk through the front door and no one set off the alarm door on the back door.” She pointed.

“Okay….Will start with two…” He laughed. “I don’t have a key for the backdoor and didn’t feel like knocking wildly for however long time till someone answers. On to one…I got a phone call today that changed the…what was it…” he laughed.

“Mr. Brooding raid could of doom.” She clarified.

“Yeah that…so…sorry.” He shrugged. “I gotta talk to you though.” Spinning her, he laughed as she squeaked and pushed her back towards her office. Confused she let him while telling someone to cover the cupcakes that were now left abandoned.

Closing the door she turned to Sidney moving to lean against her desk. Watching him confused she crossed her arms, still unsure what could turn his mood around so quickly, even sex hadn’t brought this much sunshine to his life outside one of their places. Outside reminded him he was in Pittsburg and the cup was no longer in his reach.

“So…?” She drew the word out as he folded his hands neatly in front of him. He looked like an old spice commercial ready to sell body spray to smell like a good old boy.

“I got a call from my mom.” Sidney started slowly. The single utterance of ‘mom’ had Allison’s heart pounding. “And I wasn’t planning on going home with summer because of you but she made a valid point.” Allison could feel more of those stress lines springing up as he spoke carefully, as if she were a media event on a risky subject that had to be approached carefully. “You wanna go on vacation?” He threw out as if he hadn’t just started a conversation that involved a cliff at the end of it.

“W-what?” She stuttered.

“My mom suggested we both go to Nova Scotia for a week or two to get away from this…” He pointed a finger to the door, twisting it as if that would encompass the chaos outside the door. “I know It’ll help for me to relax, and I thought out of the both of us you need a vacation more than I do. Yeah I lost the cup, it happens I’ll try again next season. You, you are stuck in the middle of me losing the cup Lorain and Jordan going to Caroline – by the way Lorain’s going with him – and crazy employees with a horde of reports trying to get up your skirt.” He elaborated with a slow roll of his shoulders.

Allison touched her forehead trying to go over everything he’d just said.

“What?” She asked again.

“Vacation…Nova Scotia…with me…” He leaned back waving his hands at himself and the thin shirt that stretched over his massive form, clinging to it for dear life. “Without them…” he pointed at the door, a grin on his face.

“I…” Licking her lips she thought about everything that was happening. Walking towards him she sat on the desk next to him. As his arm wrapped around her shoulders she turned, leaning into him and sighed. “I would love to but I can’t.” She whispered. Sidney sighed rubbing her arm. “I can’t leave them alone…they’d burn the place down.”

“I know Darian might try but he’d be the only one and Jen would kick his ass.” Sidney rationalized.

“I didn’t mean my employees.” Allison laughed. Sidney hummed at the idea. “I meant the media assholes. They try to already.” Standing she turned to him and sighed. “I’m sorry.” She breathed as he bobbed his head. “Go see your family. I’ll be here when you get back.” She smiled.

Sidney just watched her as he shifted his weight and refolded his hands in his lap.

“I’m not going without you.” He admitted. “We’re both going or we’re not.” He admitted. “This is the first relationship where I don’t want to run away for even a day. You need me here if you think the media are going to try to burn down the place.” He was dead serious and she could hear it in his voice as well as see it in the way he sat there.

“Well yeah, you did walk through the front door.” She tried to tease. Sidney’s brows narrowed at her. “Sid, it’s your family, go see your family.” She added.

“Only if you go with.” He argued back.

Groaning she rolled her eyes at him, getting a darker glare out of him.

“Don’t be so stubborn.” She pointed. “Go see your family.”

“Are you going with me?” He tossed out.

“Can you for once try to not make this a competition and agree with me?” She laughed. Humming he tapped his chin and looked at the ceiling.

“No.” he deadpanned. “You are going with me or I’m not going at all.”

“Why?” She squeaked, tossing her arms out to the side.

“Because you need a vacation. You’re stressed. I’m not going to leave you here to fend for yourself against these rabid animals while I go fish and lay on my boat. No. You already look ready to have a break down, I’m not leaving you here alone so that can happen.” He argued, standing chest to chest with her as his tried not to yell. She could see that he wanted to yell at her with the way his jaw tightened and his shoulders squared. “I’m not subjecting you to that.”

Allison tried to find words to fight back with under his shadow. The cloud had come back and it wasn’t sad or angry that he’d lost it was angry that she couldn’t see things his way.

“I’ll have…” She stopped as he cut in quickly.

“Lorain isn’t going to be here much longer. Her and Jordan and making plans for Caroline.” Sidney sighed. “Jordan told me this morning, all ecstatic that she’s going with him.” Stepping back he leaned against the desk again as he watched her. “You’d be here by yourself.” He whispered. “I can’t do that to you.” He added just as softly.

Allison wrapped her arms around her torso and ran through every word he’d just spoken to her. She was losing two of her friends to another state, the media was getting worse and worse, and Sidney wanted to go back to Canada for a while. She’d be alone with vultures waiting to pick at her as if she were a dead carcass Sidney had tossed aside before going to Canada.