A Wish Upon a Lucky Star

VII

Steph’s POV

As i sat in a private area in the hospital Nick having been sent to the relative’s room i started getting nervous. I felt so ill and i had no idea what was up with me. Was it the fact that i had been working so much recently that had caused this as well as something else. My stomach had seemed to of settled a little for the moment and i was quite grateful. The nurse soon appeared pushing small trolley into the curtained area.

“I am just going to do a general examination.. It shouldn’t take long.”

I just nodded seeming like i didn’t have a choice in the matter. As i sat there the nurse started various tests as well as not informing she was about to jab a needle into my arm until it had already hit my skin making me wince slightly. As the nurse pressed gently against my stomach clearly panicked that i might hurl over here i winced again pushing her hand away as an instant reaction.

“Your stomach is rather tender, that should be looked at, it could be the cause of the issue. I shall be back in a moment let me see if the ultrasound is free.”

I didn’t have chance to respond before the nurse had vanished once more leaving me sat there alone. I wanted Nick here with me not him be stuck no doubt panicking in the relatives room. He had been panicked all night when i hadn’t got any better. As i sat there wishing he was in the room to the nurse returned.

“A doctor wants to come and check you over as well and then in an hour we will take you up to the ultrasound and check nothing is wrong. Your not pregnant?”

“No, not that i know of.”

“OK, would you like me to go and fetch your partner?”

“Please.”

The nurse smiled politely before exiting the room again. One thing that panicked me was the fact she thought i was pregnant. I couldn’t be, could i? Wouldn’t i of noticed. My bodily functions were still as a normal woman’s should be. I just hoped it was some sort of bug and that before long i would be out of here and back home. I seemed to think to soon though and before long i was hurling again, my head pounding as i rested back against the pillows.

It wasn’t much longer before Nick stepped through the curtain looking worried. He quickly stepped over to me his hand linking with mine as i lay there. He soon stood back out the way though and the nurse was soon fetching another bowl for me. Nick stepped back as the doctor appeared asking me several questions before asking to speak to the nurse outside.

“do they have any idea what’s wrong?”

“No, they are taking me for an ultrasound when it’s free.”

I expected Nick to respond to me in someway but instead he let go of my hand. I looked into his face to see he had gone very pale and that his hands were actually shaking severely.

“Nick. Nick what’s the matter?”

“I.....it.........I’m.”

Nick just pointed and stepped from the room again quickly. I had no idea what had caused him to react like that. Was it what i had said. It hurt him leaving like that i wanted to know what was wrong. He had never acted that way before and if i was honest it scared me. The nurse and doctor stepped into the room then informing me they were taking me up to ultrasound now and i settled into a wheelchair.

“where has your partner gone?”

“I’m not sure, he stepped out maybe for fresh air.”

The nurse seemed to except that as i was moved up to another floor of the hospital. When we reached the room we required i was helped onto a bed before been briefed on everything required.