Sequel: Close Yet Far

Anything but Ordinary

Sentenced

(Beth’s POV)

“Tammy Palumbo has been sentenced today,” the anchorman announced.

I turned to the TV behind the bar at The Note. I noticed that the others I was with turned their heads too. All of our close friends were there. Chad, Kay, Carina, Abbey, Novak, Clubby, Dico, Louie, Gee and his wife, Kim and even Jess and Kelly had come out to The Note at Bam’s request. We had all received the same text message from Bam, “Get to The Note now.” I thought about arguing with Bam, but I knew it was useless. Today was one of my few days off and I didn't want to come into my place of employment on those few days I did get off.

We were all sitting around drinking a beer waiting for Bam and Amie to get there from court. They had been in and out of court for quite some time now. Life had been tense lately not only for Bam and Amie, but for all of us. The almost constant parties at Bam had come to a complete stop. Only close friends and family were allowed over at Bam’s anymore. It was just safer that way.

“NBC 10 is bringing you the sentencing today from the West Chester Courthouse. Tammy Palumbo was accused of the break in and assault at Bam Margera’s home. Today, she was found guilty of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, breaking and entering, destruction of personal property which totaled over $1000 in damages as well as disorderly conduct. Because of the seriousness of the assault and injury Ms. McCluskley received at the hands of Ms. Palumbo, the sentence has been extended from the standard ten years to a minimum of fifteen without parole. I was able to speak to Mr. Margera on his way out of the courtroom.”

The camera switched to Bam being interviewed by the reporter.

“Well, I guess we can all breathe easy now.” Chad stated.

Everyone just sat there and nodded. We were all quiet, but you could feel the tension amongst our group release.

“Where do you think Bam is?” asked an oddly sober Dico.

“I’m sure he will turn up soon. April and Phil wanted them to stop over after court.” Kelly answered.

About ten minutes later, Bam walked in hand in hand with Amie. “Did you hear the news, fuckfaces?”

“Yep- you were just on the news outside of the courthouse.” Kay answered for all of us as she hugged her best friend.

“Why do you guys all look so gloomy?” Aimee asked. “Let’s fucking celebrate!”

That night we all partied like we were 21 years old again. I was having more fun then I'd had in years. Even better, my boyfriend was on his way over.

“What are you smiling about?” Kay asked.

“My boyfriend is on his way here.”

“I didn’t know you had a boyfriend.” I just smiled at her as she continued. “Could you do me a favor, Beth?”

“Sure. What do you need?”

“I just need someone to talk to about something important. I trust your judgment and know that you will give me unbiased answers. Will you please come to my apartment tomorrow?”

“I come over around 1. That will give us some time before my shift.” I smiled as I watched Chris walk in to the bar.

“Raaby Raab what are you doing here?” yelled Bam.

“I came to see my girlfriend, but thanks for the invite to the party.” Chris answered sarcastically.

Then he came over to me and planted a kiss on my lips. All our friends whooped and hollered. We continued the party throughout the night at The Note and then at Bam’s. Everything was changing, but it was all for the better.