Sequel: Close Yet Far

Anything but Ordinary

Baggage

(Kay’s POV)

Pulling my suitcase from the bedroom into the hallway, I glanced over my shoulder and saw Kelly doing the same. Placing our bags by the front door, we finished whatever last minute straightening up before we had to leave. I had managed to sleep well the night before and was grateful Ethan hadn’t attempted to contact me again. I walked to the kitchen for a cup of coffee when the front door opened to reveal Amid with a shitload of bags in his hands.

“How do you plan to put all that in the car?” I asked my friend with a shake of my head. “Kelly and I won’t have any room for our bags.”

“I’ll put some of them in the back with me.” He answered as if it solved everything.

“Yes, but we are taking other people back with us when we- you know what, nevermind.” Stirring milk into the coffee, I changed the topic. “Did you tell Aimee we’re almost good to go?”

“No. Should I?” He asked, reaching into his pocket for his cell phone. “I’ll do that now. Give me just a second.”

The phone was already ringing as Amid walked out of the door for what was probably even more bags. Realizing I should probably just give up on all of my friends, I collapsed onto the couch with my hot caffeinated elixir. I needed a quiet morning before the chaos of our Pennsylvania trip and I was already not getting my wish. But then again, I never did.

Kelly walked in to join me a few moments later. Sinking into the cushion next to me, my childhood friend glanced over at me with a grin. “Ready for a fun time?”

Rolling my eyes, I couldn’t stop the words from escaping my mouth. “Oh so much… Thank you.”

“Welcome,” Kelly responded sweetly.

Amid walked back into the apartment with the cell phone glued to his ear. “Uh huh… Ok, hold on.” The Indian man glanced up, but didn’t see me sitting five feet away. “Kay!”

“I’m right here Amid.” I said with a grimace. He glanced at me with an ‘oops’ face. “What do you want?”

“Aimee wanted me to tell you to leave your baggage home.” I glared at him angrily and he threw his free hand up in defense. “Hey I’m just relaying the message.”

“Tell her to fuck off.”

He repeated my message then nodded as Aimee said something in response. “She says no thanks.”

Rolling my eyes again, I drank my hot coffee deeply in order to stop myself from saying anything else. Amid walked into the kitchen for a coffee I assumed and I placed my empty cup on the table in front of me.

“Diva…” I muttered at his turned back.

Kelly choked on the coffee she’d been drinking due to my name calling. She turned her bright blue eyes at me in shock. Once she was under control of her coughing, she said, “I can’t believe you called him that.”

I shrugged. “He is. He just won’t admit it.”

All Kelly could do was laugh.

***

My car was loaded within the hour and I stood off to the side staring at the over packed mess it was. Amid had shoved all of the bags he could in the backseat where he’d be riding and after Kelly and I had loaded our bags into the trunk, the rest of his stuff took the rest of the room.

“How the fuck do you expect to fit?” I asked Amid as I glanced between his six foot height and my tiny ass Hyundai Accent. “You do know West Chester is a four hour drive?”

“I’ll be alright. Don’t you worry about me, cupcake.” Amid climbed into the compact car and I stared in wonder. I really didn’t know what went on in that man’s mind. I also didn’t know how he fucking fit his entire six foot self in the back with all of those bags.

“Whatever you say Captain.” Grabbing my keys from my jeans pocket, I slid into the driver’s seat while Kelly took the passenger side. The ignition started and the sounds of my favorite cd of the moment, Pixie Lott, blared through the car. Smiling to myself, I leaned into my seat and sighed.

I was going to Pennsylvania.

I was going to the one place I thought of as home.

And on top of it all… I was going with people I considered my family. This was going to be an amazing trip and it couldn’t get started soon enough.